Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093133 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11190 on: November 03, 2016, 06:55:10 pm »

Thank you. I feel silly now, I had been staring at that screen for a very long time trying to figure it out...  :P

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11191 on: November 03, 2016, 07:03:47 pm »

Thank you. I feel silly now, I had been staring at that screen for a very long time trying to figure it out...  :P
I may have done that as well when Reaper's Due came out.   ;)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11192 on: November 05, 2016, 12:04:20 am »

('celt Austria, 'cause Austria were silly)
This is not how it was described to me. I thought the Prussians kept out the godless catholic austrian population out, which would have unbalanced their tight hold on the country.

Also because Austria was not the in the business of giving nations to ethnicities, even themselves. Austria was only created as a "nation" around 1918, and obviously the Allies weren't going to let them join Germany. And they stayed out after WW2 for similarish reasons (also Anschluss).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11193 on: November 06, 2016, 06:27:24 pm »

Could somebody give me a DLC rundown? I've been getting sucked into this lately and been hankering for more, but I don't know everything's relative worth and I understand it kind of varies from must-have to ehhhhh.

I already have the Ruler Designer, Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Sunset Invasion, and The Republic, though I wouldn't mind hearing about those too.

Also, any estimates for how likely is it to go on sale prior to Steam's Winter Sale? I wouldn't think very high, but hope springs eternal.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11194 on: November 06, 2016, 07:03:51 pm »

Paradox games go on sale whenever there's a stiff breeze, but I don't think there's any new DLC out before the winter sale which is when its guaranteed to be discounted.

Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, and the Old Gods are probably the three most essential DLC to get. Once you get Old Gods you'll be able to play as almost everyone except Jews. After that I'd recommend Way of Life and maybe Reaper's Due.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11195 on: November 06, 2016, 07:22:55 pm »

Meh. I am bored and have no idea what to do in game. Give me a goal to accomplish :v

I have no DLC recommendations beside 'look them up and see if you like the content it adds.'

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11196 on: November 06, 2016, 07:30:41 pm »

Too bad the OP is MIA because that DLC question gets asked all the frigging time. We could just put a sticky up there.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11197 on: November 06, 2016, 07:39:12 pm »

Paradox games go on sale whenever there's a stiff breeze, but I don't think there's any new DLC out before the winter sale which is when its guaranteed to be discounted.

Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, and the Old Gods are probably the three most essential DLC to get. Once you get Old Gods you'll be able to play as almost everyone except Jews. After that I'd recommend Way of Life and maybe Reaper's Due.
I've barely used Sword of Islam, I don't think it does anything except making Muslims playable...  Which is fine, but I preferred The Republic and Old Gods.  Old Gods is probably the best for playing unusual rulers since pagans are fun and it moves back the start date.  Charlemagne moves back the start date too but ehhh, other than that it just adds some really unlikely options for creating new kingdoms and empires (you need a huge amount of land, so generally it's a lot easier to claim an existing title).

Legacy of Rome is basically essential, yeah, since it unlocks retinues.  Retinues are standing armies which make empires (and even kingdoms) faaaar less tedious to rule.  It *also* adds a lot of neat Rome stuff, AKA Byzantine stuff, including an option to mend the Catholic/Orthodox schism.
Way of Life is very nice because it unlocks a lot of fun options for any type of ruler.  Kinda unbalanced tbh but meh.
Doesn't Reaper's Due add the starting options?  Or does everybody get those now?  The new disease stuff is neat but hardly essential.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11198 on: November 06, 2016, 09:07:23 pm »

Meh. I am bored and have no idea what to do in game. Give me a goal to accomplish :v
When in doubt, something stupid but (semi) plausible in-character. Maybe remain small and petty but work towards the claim of every ruling dynasty being able to trace its lineage back to yours at least once in its history. Maybe bring Irish culture to Africa at all costs. Maybe make a goal of having held as many titles in the world as possible at one time, but make no effort whatsoever to keep them once they're checked off the list. Maybe do anything and everything necessary to become emperor/king, then go MAXIMUM CALIGULA once you've gotten the title (then rinse, repeat if your dynasty still exists afterwards).

Whatever you normally like to do but with arbitrary restrictions is another good fallback. Sometimes boredom comes from routine or lack of challenge rather than needing an entirely new goal.

Too bad the OP is MIA because that DLC question gets asked all the frigging time. We could just put a sticky up there.
If someone prepared a new one, you might be able to ask the Toad to replace it.

I've barely used Sword of Islam, I don't think it does anything except making Muslims playable...  Which is fine, but I preferred The Republic and Old Gods.  Old Gods is probably the best for playing unusual rulers since pagans are fun and it moves back the start date.  Charlemagne moves back the start date too but ehhh, other than that it just adds some really unlikely options for creating new kingdoms and empires (you need a huge amount of land, so generally it's a lot easier to claim an existing title).
I should probably try the Muslims at some point, but their succession system strikes me as a gigantic ball of nope for anything but playing genderflipped drow.

Merchant Republics, meanwhile, are my waifu.

Doesn't Reaper's Due add the starting options?  Or does everybody get those now?  The new disease stuff is neat but hardly essential.
I think there's disease customization options you need Reaper's Due for? But everyone gets invasion/shattered retreat/gender/supernatural settings now.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11199 on: November 06, 2016, 09:40:34 pm »

Might as well throw in a general DLC rundown so we can point people towards it for the next five or so pages.

-Major DLC-
Sword of Islam: Play as muslim rulers.
Legacy of Rome: Enables retinues (except for nomads, who are a special case), and add mechanics for the ERE plus non-roman greek and georgian characters.
The Republic: Play as duke-tier or higher coastal republics.
Sunset Invasion: Praise the Sun.
The Old Gods: Play as pagans or zoroastrians. Also an earlier start date.
Rajas of India: Play as indian religion rulers. They are quite interesting, but no one cares about them.
Sons of Abraham: Cardinal mechanics for catholics, fleshed out heresies, jews, and a bunch of events.
Charlemagne: Praise the Zun. Adds an even earlier start date.
Way of Life: Adds some stuff to keep you busy between wars. AI will only ever pick seduction.
Horse Lords: Without it, nomads will be tribals. Otherwise you get nomads and can play as them.
Conclave: Adds a bunch of vassal-ruler mechanics.
Reaper's Due: Adds mechanics related to diseases and medicine.

-Minor DLC-
Ruler Designer: Minmax your character.
Customization Pack: Cut your hair and name your kingdom something silly.
EU4 Converter: Lets you continue your map-painting campaign.
Portrait Packs: Look pretty, completely option. I like them.
Unit Packs: As above, also like them
Shield Packs: Completely optional, buy if they are incredibly cheap and you have the spare cash.
Music Packs: Some of the tracks are really good, especially the latest ones, and you get them in your hard drive to use as see fit.
E-Books: Should these really be sold as DLC?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11200 on: November 06, 2016, 10:12:04 pm »

Get rid of Catholicism as a Christian heretic, but don't go after the Pope?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11201 on: November 07, 2016, 12:15:29 am »

Also the achievements give excellent guides to things to do anyway. That's what they're there for.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11202 on: November 07, 2016, 04:03:14 pm »

I might do that, hector. Besides that, I reaaaaally wish the Elder Kings would update. I want it so badly :c

And maybe have a 'no akavir' submod. Because it's just like india. More lag :v

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11203 on: November 07, 2016, 05:30:25 pm »

An interesting challenge could be to turn India Catholic without ever forming an Empire as the Franks or a British nation originally. Or a Spanish nation if you enjoy getting punched in the face by Muslim Andalusia for a few decades.

You need to claim land in the pagan lands of Eastern Europe or Muslim Arabia and carve a bloody swathe towards the Indian subcontinent, spinning off Kingdoms in your wake as you hit vassal limits. After a while you're isolated away from Christianity's strongholds, surrounded by heathens and trying to rule lands naturally inclined to rebel against you.

Arabia is obviously easier to rule, being already at Feudal tech levels and therefore better for keeping up your troop count as you Deus Vult your way across the land, but being harder to take and hold because of the Arabian Empire. Eastern Europe is easier to take, because a proper Feudal nation can stomp tribal duchies flat, but contributes basically nothing to your army.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11204 on: November 07, 2016, 06:08:20 pm »

Hm. interesting. Could try that.

Honestly, I kinda wish I could use HIP without it lagging my game to shit. Especially after hearing it be praised time and time again on reddit. Meh. I can stick with ck2+ i guess :P

Right now though, I'm thinking of doing a jew run. Are the nomadic jews good at jewing or are the Semien jews better. Because I've tried the nomads. Expansion is hard :v
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 1002