Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2092899 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11205 on: November 07, 2016, 06:43:24 pm »

Hm. interesting. Could try that.

Honestly, I kinda wish I could use HIP without it lagging my game to shit. Especially after hearing it be praised time and time again on reddit. Meh. I can stick with ck2+ i guess :P

Right now though, I'm thinking of doing a jew run. Are the nomadic jews good at jewing or are the Semien jews better. Because I've tried the nomads. Expansion is hard :v
The nomad jews are nomads and as such can snowball like very few things can. Semien, on the other hand, is pain.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11207 on: November 08, 2016, 01:18:27 am »

I pee'd a little.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11208 on: November 08, 2016, 08:44:50 am »

Trust me, I've tried HIP with as many things on or off. Nothing seems to help the lag I get. Even with Vanilla map :c

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11209 on: November 08, 2016, 09:09:12 am »

There's been a new dev diary.

Spoiler: Usual copy+paste (click to show/hide)

My guess is, aside from the obvious gnosticism, that we'll be getting more religion mechanics like monastic orders (such as the inquisitive Dominicans).

In mod-related news, Geheimnisnacht updated. Am happy.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:11:40 am by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11210 on: November 08, 2016, 09:28:54 am »

the worm lord rises
the worm lord rises
the worm lord rises!

I bet you're right, but I particularly like the culty vibe they're suggesting.  Maybe heresies will have a gestation period during which it's possible to detect and root them out, rather than the county just switching.

Mechanics for occult groups would be fantastic too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11211 on: November 08, 2016, 10:17:25 am »

I'm right in the middle of writing an essay on the Cathars, so this is very good timing. Heresies! Gnosticism! Dominicans and Fransiscans! The Inquisition! I am so ready.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11212 on: November 08, 2016, 01:46:20 pm »

Aren't the Inquisitions out of the game's time frame?  I know the Spanish inquisition wasn't a big thing until the 1400s, and I was under the impression the Papal Inquisition was about the same timeframe. I suppose it could pop earlier depending on how quickly you reconquer Spain or in other contexts. Excited to see Monastic orders be a thing. Hopefully this will flesh out some of the religious politics and not just ruler-pope interactions.

Anyway, this area of medieval history in popular things always gets me nervous because its easy to overly simplify stuff to the point of inaccuracy.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11213 on: November 08, 2016, 01:47:00 pm »

I hope that we finally be able to play theocracies.
Inb4 conquering the whole world as Templars.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11214 on: November 08, 2016, 01:52:29 pm »

Aren't the Inquisitions out of the game's time frame?  I know the Spanish inquisition wasn't a big thing until the 1400s, and I was under the impression the Papal Inquisition was about the same timeframe. I suppose it could pop earlier depending on how quickly you reconquer Spain or in other contexts. Excited to see Monastic orders be a thing. Hopefully this will flesh out some of the religious politics and not just ruler-pope interactions.

Anyway, this area of medieval history in popular things always gets me nervous because its easy to overly simplify stuff to the point of inaccuracy.
The Inquisition, as we typically consider it (with the definite article), began in 1229.  They were especially prominent with the rise of the Cathars and Waldensians (the former of whom sparked their formal inception), but even before that, there were still systems of proscription or imprisonment for heretical tendencies.  There were other inquisitions before that, however, as well as since.  Most prominently of the mid-13th century, however, the use of torture and the position of a Grand Inquisitor to lead inquisitions began during this period as well.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11215 on: November 08, 2016, 01:53:30 pm »

The Inquisition was founded primarily to combat the Cathars in the 1200s, so it's well within the game's timeframe. Dominicans and Franciscans come in at about the same time - they were pretty important to the Inquisition especially early on.

FAKE EDIT: And ninja'd. Baw.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11216 on: November 08, 2016, 02:12:57 pm »

Okay then cool, I knew Dominicans and Franciscans were within the game's timeframe, I just didn't know the exact time period of the non-Spanish Inquisition.

Also, isn't the title of Grand Inquisitor a Spanish thing?
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11217 on: November 08, 2016, 02:16:37 pm »

Okay then cool, I knew Dominicans and Franciscans were within the game's timeframe, I just didn't know the exact time period of the non-Spanish Inquisition.

Also, isn't the title of Grand Inquisitor a Spanish thing?
Not exactly. The heads of each inquisition were not actually appointed by the Pope (though he could suggest), instead they were appointed by the king of the realm in which they operated in. At any rate, the inquisition only really got in full swing by the end of CK2's timeframe, though it did start with the first heresies popping up. Since heresies can appear way earlier in CK2, I think it's fair to add inquisitors that only start to appear once heretics are about.

I wonder if they'll show inquisitors executing people (which didn't happen, the Church had a no-kill policy (torture was ok as long as no blood was shed)), or imprisoning and handing the heretics off to secular authorities.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11218 on: November 08, 2016, 02:21:14 pm »

Not exactly. The heads of each inquisition were not actually appointed by the Pope (though he could suggest), instead they were appointed by the king of the realm in which they operated in. At any rate, the inquisition only really got in full swing by the end of CK2's timeframe, though it did start with the first heresies popping up. Since heresies can appear way earlier in CK2, I think it's fair to add inquisitors that only start to appear once heretics are about.

I wonder if they'll show inquisitors executing people (which didn't happen, the Church had a no-kill policy (torture was ok as long as no blood was shed)), or imprisoning and handing the heretics off to secular authorities.
Yeah, this is what I'm hoping they do.
Sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11219 on: November 08, 2016, 02:24:58 pm »

In practice, they sometimes did - there were a few mass killings by very overzealous inquisitiors, even. Much fewer than what's generally thought, though. Torture was limited (and much more common with secular justice). Generally, the secular punishment was death, so they knew what'd happen when they handed off heretics to secular authorities. Sympathetic courts generally just let the heretics go free - some places even forced inquisitions out thanks to heretic sympathies or dislike for the heavyhandedness of inquisitions.

EDIT: Papal inquisitions were a thing, but they had trouble acting when local rulers didn't want them there. In fact, I'm hoping meddling papal legates and inquisitors become a thing - suddenly swooping in accusing your best advisor of heresy, maybe stripping them of their office. You can stop them, but you'll anger the Pope. I'm hoping it'll be possible to live with heretics in your court without huge opinion penalties and to be sympathetic to heretics, because historically that was fairly common (though so was zealous persecution). For example, the southern lords of the Albigensian Crusade weren't generally Cathars, but they tolerated or even supported them and often had wives and sisters who were.

can you tell i've been writing a cathar essay all week
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:34:57 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 1002