Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: 14th Amendment Shenanigans  (Read 8268 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 14th Amendment Shenanigans
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2010, 01:36:04 am »

Honestly, and I know that this is very anecdotal, but most illegal immigrants that I have met tend to actually be very hard, dedicated workers, often more-so than natives. My feeling is that it should be easier for people to legally immigrate into the U.S.

This is what I was driving at with the comment about tools earlier, even if that one got away from me. Illegal immigrants are bad. We need to end the problem, whether it be through legalizing those who are here and keeping others out, or using our deporting bucket to bail the ship.

@Grakelin, American schools basically give us a bare bones version of the Citizenship test going through grade school. Once you've passed them, in the gov'ts eyes you have earned your citizenship.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2010, 07:23:59 am »

This is what I was driving at with the comment about tools earlier, even if that one got away from me. Illegal immigrants are bad. We need to end the problem, whether it be through legalizing those who are here and keeping others out, or using our deporting bucket to bail the ship.
The reason of the arrival of he migrants is that there is work for them there (usually). The two countries I know with a lot of illegal immigration problem are Spain and Italy. Unsurprisingly, both need very cheap worker to harvest the fruit they are growing.
Thus encourage precarious immigration, witch quickly became illegal immigration.

If you don't work on that, the law passed are just a smokescreen.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2010, 08:10:21 am »

@Grakelin, American schools basically give us a bare bones version of the Citizenship test going through grade school. Once you've passed them, in the gov'ts eyes you have earned your citizenship.
The funny thing is, potential citizens need to know more then what 'we' learn at American grade school.  Either that or my public schools were pretty shitty, which I can agree with.

Not letting in people of "dubious worth"?

Then you may as well kick out all the "legal" residents of "dubious worth" as well.
Double standards.  You gotta love em.  A minor offense for a citizen can be a deportable felony for an applicant.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2010, 09:33:20 am »

Hell, I went to a private high school and for in one class we took a practice citizenship test. Everyone in the class failed, and most of the grades, including my own weren't even close to passing. To be fair though, quite a few of the questions that they ask are really semi-obscure facts and historical trivia that have no real bearing on you as a citizen.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2010, 09:55:27 am »

Hilarious though, that someone trying to become a citizen needs to know more about America then what the average American citizen actually knows.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2010, 08:04:00 pm »

It's almost as though the onus is on them to serve and preserve the country.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2010, 01:33:46 pm »

Except that the onus to 'serve and preserve' (whatever that really means) a country should be on ALL the citizens. Not just new ones. The fact that the average American Citizen (Canada has this problem, too) is unable to pass their own citizenship test is a bad thing. Saying that it is okay that it is this way is saying that the citizens who already live in your country have the inherited right to laze about and enjoy life in the top income bracket of the world, while newcomers have to be four times as skilled and ready to be our pseudo-slaves.

That's not okay with me. Especially since most people in North America aren't descended from the people who lived here originally, making most of us colonists and immigrants to begin with. In fact, if we replaced all of our apathetic citizens used to luxury with the immigrants trying to get in from impoverished countries and more rigid cultures, we would probably end up with a country more patriotic, with harder workers and less crime. At least for the first generation, before all the kids became apathetic and complacent again.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2010, 03:13:28 pm »

I think the question of if the framers of the 14th Amendment intended people to fly to America, give birth, and fly back to their country with a permanent US citizen child really should be looked at, thoughtfully and considerately, by rational people without bias or prejudice.

Which is why I sure as fuck won't be discussing it here.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2010, 03:16:54 pm »

Depending on whether you put the emphasis on I or here that has two quite different meanings.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2010, 07:25:36 pm »

I think the question of if the framers of the 14th Amendment intended people to fly to America, give birth, and fly back to their country with a permanent US citizen child really should be looked at, thoughtfully and considerately, by rational people without bias or prejudice.

I dunno, man, the kind of person willing to do that typically can't afford two plane tickets. Or even one.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2010, 08:33:31 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:05:25 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2010, 09:50:28 pm »

I dunno, man, the kind of person willing to do that typically can't afford two plane tickets. Or even one.

Yeah, I'm an american citizen and a college student (which basically means I'm among the wealthiest people on the planet), and a round trip, in-country plane flight this summer nearly bankrupted me.

On that note, anyone realize what it takes for a migrant of Central American descent to emigrate illegally to the U.S.? Anyone? Five dwarfbucks if you get this right!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2010, 10:16:57 pm »

If you're going to use Real Lives 2010 as a source, edit your post to be blank right now.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2010, 12:16:11 am »

Oh, about three or four condoms of cocaine up their ass, why do you ask?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2010, 04:08:18 am »

Oh, aye, good point. But I don't see how this amendment will stop actual problematic illegal immigration (although technically, all illegal immigration is problematic.)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11