Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: 14th Amendment Shenanigans  (Read 8260 times)

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 14th Amendment Shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 06:03:55 am »

Holy christ that's terrifying
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:05:32 am »

I was going to make this thread myself actually.  Oh well, no giant ass OP from me then.

STRICT.  CONSTITUTIONAL.  CONSTRUCTION.  Oh lordy lordy.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:13:42 am »

What is the point of doing this?

Or, in the words of Jean-Luc Picard
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've played a guitar with my penis.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:29:02 am »

My guess is that they'd like to try to somehow make it retroactive so that Obama really won't be eligible to be President. They are clever, like piece of wood.

But yeah...good luck with that. There hasn't been a new Amendment passed since 1992, and that one was just to prohibit Congress from raising its own salary in the same session. A divisive amendment like this would never get ratified, IMHO. (Of course, I didn't think there'd be wide support for Arizona's immigration law either, but polls seem to reflect otherwise).

Who knows...maybe Dennis Miller was right when he suggested we should change the plaque on the Statue of Liberty from "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free" to "Go the fuck back to Fuckitania".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:33:57 am »

Obviously the future-parents of America are crying out to be strangled in red-tape the moment they give birth because bureaucratic asphyxiation is hot as hell.

You see, it makes sense.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:39:23 am »

It sounds like they're just trying to cozy up to the right-wing constituencies who are pretty paranoid about immigration lately. I doubt it'll see any real traction, but its an election year and you have to do something to pull in voters. Especially McCain--he's getting hammered for not being conservative enough and could lose his seat to some tea-party candidate. It's not surprising he's desperate to court the hyper-conservative at the moment.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 06:48:59 am »

Given how the other members of the union have reacted to Arizona's new laws, I doubt this has a hope in hell of getting ratified by even ten states, much less a 2/3rd's majority.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 06:57:56 am »

The repeal of Constitutional amendments seems to be a hot topic on the Right lately.  There's a whole lobby building to repeal the 17th Amendment, so senators don't have to be elected anymore.

But yeah...good luck with that. There hasn't been a new Amendment passed since 1992, and that one was just to prohibit Congress from raising its own salary in the same session.

The best part about that amendment?  It was among the original 30ish proposed during the first session of Congress, in 1789.  Those 30ish were eventually streamlined down to twelve, and that was one of them.  It lost, and was continuously renominated by somebody for 202 years.  (The other one that lost became the 12th Amendment after a decade.)
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 07:03:35 am »

One of the ones they took out of the Bill of Rights would have been an anti-slavery law, if I remember correctly. Damn, so close to becoming one of the first modern nations to abolish slavery instead of one of the last.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 07:04:47 am »

What the fucking hell is this shit. Man I used to have respect for John McCain. Now, I don't. At all.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 07:06:56 am »

One of the ones they took out of the Bill of Rights would have been an anti-slavery law, if I remember correctly. Damn, so close to becoming one of the first modern nations to abolish slavery instead of one of the last.

You heard wrong from revisionists who like beating up on the past.  It was the ten you know, the pay one, and clarification on executive office holding and elections.  There were plenty of people talking about slavery during the original drafting and every ten years or so afterwards, but nothing in the Bill of Rights.  Long story short, war was the only way that shit was going to be settled.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 07:15:43 am »

Given how the other members of the union have reacted to Arizona's new laws, I doubt this has a hope in hell of getting ratified by even ten states, much less a 2/3rd's majority.

Don't be so sure. Most poll data I've seen puts popular support at anywhere from 51-70%. I think the median number is around 55 or so. What I haven't seen, and can't find anywhere, is how those numbers break down geographically. I would assume border and Western states would be more likely to support (with the possible exception of New Mexico, which tends to be much more immigration-friendly than its neighbors) Arizona's law, while northern "blue" states would be more opposed. California is probably close to a 50-50 split. I think you could get at least a dozen states onboard.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 07:19:22 am »

Still nowhere near what they need. The reactionaries will give up on this sooner or later.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 07:40:07 am »

We are far too liberal for conservative 'merica!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11