Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125998 times)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries - Not on Hiatus
« Reply #1155 on: January 08, 2011, 02:14:32 pm »

Technically speaking, I should be spending a move action to draw ammunition to throw with Telekinesis; and I've only used that function twice: once at the flying constructs where there was nowhere to move, and once at that level 20 wizard, and I don't recall whether I moved on that round or not.  In any case, I meant for it to play as through Derrek draws a handful of bolts and sends them flying from his hand.

I had been under the assumption that drawing ammunition was a free action, period, but a quick re-read of that rule says it's a free action only when it's for use with a ranged weapon "such as arrows, bolts, sling bullets, or shuriken" so... could go either way?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: January 08, 2011, 02:22:01 pm »

Or you could get Quick Draw, but that might not be necessary if you think about it. Telekinesis is technically a ranged weapon.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 08, 2011, 03:20:48 pm »

Or, so far as it goes, the only thing stopping me from using the weapons of our enemies as ammunition is their will saves to not have their weapons wrenched from their hands. (so they are disarmed AND their weapons are now half way across the battle field and embedded in their allies.)

What I want to do it have as many scythes as my level to throw; if every one hits it does twice my level d4 daamge and the crits are x4 and, at max of 15 at caster level 15, it's almost assured to have one crit dealing 36d4 damage to a single target if all rolls succeed.  Of course, with a strength of 7, it will be completely impossible for me to carry more than one scythe on my person without encumbering myself because my light load is 23 pounds, and six scythes would bring me to my max carry including my clothes and handy haversack.

Add to that, I can't deal with a group of enemies effectively, so using it like that is pretty situational; against four or more enemies the simple fireball spell(empowered, or delayed blast to get past the 10d damage cap) easily deals more total damage than I can with +1 bolts with all three elemental damage bonuses on them. (assuming my miss chance with TK thrust attack rolls is roughly equivalent to the damage reduction from a mix of failed and succeeded reflex saves- hard targets like that level 20 wizard that couldn't be hit with a total roll of 32 reduce the damage to a fraction)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 08, 2011, 03:26:04 pm »

I have no problem with your TK tactics. See if you can borrow Gurk's scythe.

EDIT: It will be a long while before you face such tough individual enemies again.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 08, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »

From the Spell Compendium:
2nd
 p195, Sonic Weapon: 1 weapon touched, 1 minute per level, 1d6 sonic damage; Potentially useful in conjunction with the chain spell metamagic feat from complete arcane.
3rd
 p236, Weapon of Energy: 1 weapon touched, 1 round per level, [energy type] burst, stacks with similar effects; Again, if chain spell works then this may be useful.
6th
 p40, Brilliant Blade: 1 weapon or 50 projectiles, 1 minute per level, adds brilliant energy property.

And I am not suggesting that you currently need the quick draw feat, it is just something that I would consider adding if I were the DM.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: January 08, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »

I'll consider those.

The advantage of the spells I am using now (Flame arrow, and then Greater Magic Weapon and Keen Edge once I have them scribed) is that they have a duration of 10 minutes per level or better, so I can cast them well in advance of combat.

My next feat will likely be Practiced Caster(Wizard), since MotUH does not improve my caster level for any spell except Telekinesis. (Practiced caster boosts your caster level in a single class by 4 up to a maximum of your HD total caster level.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On the other hand, that will also boost my caster level for Telekinesis up to 15 when I reach level 12, if the specific bonus to the one spell from my PrC stacks with the general bonus from Practiced Caster... I would read it as so, but I am biased in that.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 10, 2011, 02:00:34 pm »

How is Cerrad getting +15 to damage?

Well, let's see here...

Shadow Blade feat: increase melee weapon damage by my dex mod: +9. (I forget if this overrides my str bonus or not, but it's +0 anyway, so the point is moot)
Insightful Strike (level 3 swashbuckler class feature): increase melee weapon damage by my int mod: +6.

In the interest of full disclosure, I suppose I should mention that Insightful Strike doesn't work against enemies that are immune to critical hits. (Shonus, if I attack something immune to crits while flanking it, I get to use half of my Sneak Attack dice because of Penetrating Strike. Can I get half of my Insightful Strike damage bonus, too?)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:07:56 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: January 10, 2011, 03:59:24 pm »

Which book is shadow blade from?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 10, 2011, 04:56:57 pm »

Tome of Battle.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 10, 2011, 06:14:29 pm »

How is Cerrad getting +15 to damage?

Well, let's see here...

Shadow Blade feat: increase melee weapon damage by my dex mod: +9. (I forget if this overrides my str bonus or not, but it's +0 anyway, so the point is moot)
Insightful Strike (level 3 swashbuckler class feature): increase melee weapon damage by my int mod: +6.

In the interest of full disclosure, I suppose I should mention that Insightful Strike doesn't work against enemies that are immune to critical hits. (Shonus, if I attack something immune to crits while flanking it, I get to use half of my Sneak Attack dice because of Penetrating Strike. Can I get half of my Insightful Strike damage bonus, too?)
What does teh text for Insightful strike read?
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 10, 2011, 06:57:57 pm »

What does teh text for Insightful strike read?

Quote from: Complete Warrior (typed by hand verbatim)
Insightful Strike (Ex): At 3rd level, a swashbuckler becomes able to place her finesse attacks where they deal greater damage. She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to the swashbuckler's insightful strike. A swashbuckler cannot use this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
The thing is, with Penetrating Strike, some things technically aren't immune to my sneak attacks, so, yeah. Thought I'd ask.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 10, 2011, 07:12:12 pm »

I'm going to have to call in a consult. I can see justification either way.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 12, 2011, 06:37:08 pm »

I'm gonna be out of town this Friday, so I won't be available to play.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 12, 2011, 09:36:09 pm »

Can't guarantee that the power will stay on, so...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 160