Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125694 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries - Always hiring new players
« Reply #330 on: August 29, 2010, 12:37:21 pm »

I think our DM is smart enough to not send us against something with a grapple modifier as high as our collective hit dice. That seems to be the idea behind having a DM instead of a program; to have a sentient creature go "god DAMN but the CR system is broken."

Actually, that would be a really funny way of getting rid of the traps, but it would probably collapse the ceiling.
This is a problem? As long as they all die, we still get exp, and paid as well. Besides, if it turns out there are traps of some kind (that don't reset themselves or that get blown to unusable pieces by wall-devouring exploding barrels), that just means we need more barrels.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 29, 2010, 12:42:50 pm »

If we don't collapse the ceiling, maybe we'll find some dwarf-made weapons or somesuch. Though I'd prefer my character to live, if it comes to a choice between the two.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 29, 2010, 01:13:42 pm »

Yeah, The difference between a DM and a program is that the DM knows we have a couple kegs of powder and can put us up against arcane tricksters casting scorching ray. (Note to self, make Aryana cast invisible on keg and have Eafoth shoot it) The fact that Cerrad is paranoid about everything except exploding worries me a bit, but if I stand clear there shouldn't be any problems

This is a problem? As long as they all die, we still get exp, and paid as well. [/url].
We'd get the money definitely, we have a contract. Whether or not Shonus would reward us for destroying one of his battle grids and all his encounters without using them for more than a couple turns is something I'm not going to count on.

I think Eafoth would look swell with a +4 Keen, Thundering/+5 Brilliant energy Urgrosh.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:18:59 pm by Robocorn »

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 29, 2010, 01:25:19 pm »

Alternatively, we could kill all the bandits and make the fortress our new HQ, get the land from the merchants, and then keep doing stuff like this until we own the Markavian Empire.

edit:  Seriously, who doesn't want a Dwarf Fortress base that I am assuming is actually well made and has not broken into a cavern layer?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 29, 2010, 02:05:38 pm »

(Note to self, make Aryana cast invisible on keg and have Eafoth shoot it)
Wow, I didn't realize that there were so many uses for blindsight. This would work pretty easily too; I happen to have a crossbow.

I think Eafoth would look swell with a +4 Keen, Thundering/+5 Brilliant energy Urgrosh.
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 29, 2010, 02:08:04 pm »

Cerrad is totally fine with semi-controlled explosions that happen at the other end of a hill. People who can, want to, and and are paid handsomely to teleport in at night and drop maximized empowered lightning bolts and fireballs while he's asleep, especially when one's profession is killing people, is cause for worry, don't you think?

Although yeah, owning a Dwarf Fortress plus a nearby tract of land would be pretty awesome useful.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 29, 2010, 02:39:17 pm »

Is it assumed we have fuses? or were we stupid enough not to buy them. We can't use charges (though if we had the copper wire, a shocking grasp spell might work). We're ultimately reduced to tricking professional killers to stand next to a bomb while we attempt to shoot it with enchanted crossbow bolts. These are not semi-controlled explosions these are quasi-controlled explosions, and I for one am looking forward to seeing what kind of graft you get after it goes off </sarcasm>. Seriously though, this might be trouble.

Though I feel your fear of tenth level wizards is justified, the grammar of that sentence was atrocious and it took me ten minutes to fully realize the context of how it was organized. D- As we've already established, powder kegs can do damage that makes 60 look pathetic. The main problem I have is that it's not controlled because nobody brought any fuses. Why did nobody bring any fuses? They exist! They must if there are cannons in this campaign. Did you think they wouldn't be useful? Bah!

Yes, owning a track of land in an area we're set to make vulnerable to an invasion is a splendid idea that could in no way backfire on us. Did nobody else realize this? The fortress might be useful if we can hold on to it, but I don't like the idea of a three day journey whenever we want to get supplies.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 29, 2010, 02:49:21 pm »

No need to be such a downer. We could just try using an alcohol-soaked rope.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 29, 2010, 03:02:35 pm »

Or, since the barrels it's stored in are presumably made of wood, we can just use some kind of flaming arrow. Purchased, enchanted with a spell, or just an arrow that's been set on fire. Or we could throw a vial of alchemist's fire, or I could probably make some kind of trap that will set off the bomb well after we've left. A trip wire that doesn't trip anyone; it just knocks a loosely-corked vial of alchemist's fire off a shelf and onto some barrels of powder, which ignite and then explode.

And my grammar is not atrocious, it's verbose. You should be able to get the gist of the sentence by just looking at the key words anyway. "paid handsomely" "teleport" "maximized empowered lightning" "fireballs" "profession is killing" "cause for worry"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 29, 2010, 03:12:03 pm »

People who can, want to, and and are paid handsomely to teleport in at night and drop maximized empowered lightning bolts and fireballs while he's asleep, especially when one's profession is killing people, is cause for worry, don't you think?
The only issue with this grammar is that 'is' should be 'are'.

I'm okay with not having our own land, though. I've never been in a successful campaign that involves taking over places.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 29, 2010, 03:35:26 pm »

I don't know how you'll tactically set up a tripwire in the middle of a dungeon without anybody noticing. Maybe it's not so much that I don't trust you, is that I don't trust Shonus, something just doesn't seem right about paying 5 drakes for something that's actually useful.

People who can, want to, and and are paid handsomely to teleport in at night and drop maximized empowered lightning bolts and fireballs while he's asleep, especially when one's profession is killing people, is cause for worry, don't you think?
Are you seriously defending this sentence? Allow me to correct it.
People who can, want to, and and are paid handsomely to teleport in and drop maximized empowered lightning bolts and fireballs on him in his sleep are cause for worry. This is especially true when one's profession is killing people, wouldn't you think?

It's a really bad sentence and I barely improved it. It's two independent clauses sandwiched together in a run on sentence that only uses commas and has.

The gist of the matter is Cerrad would rather make a reflex save against exploding than a reflex save against being hit with a lightning bolt. I'd like to avoid as many reflex saves as possible, though improved evasion does me a lot of favors in that regard.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 29, 2010, 04:03:00 pm »

The argument over semantics is now over because I don't care about it that much.

As for the reflex saves, you seem to be under the impression that I want to light the barrels from somewhere nearby, and that if I was to set up a trap to do it remotely, I would decline to make hide checks or use invisibility. To clarify: I intend to, through whatever means, blow up a large chunk of this fortress from far away, without anybody (besides you guys) knowing I did it, and I'm confident in my ability to do so. At that point, the bandits are in disarray and panic. Not to mention the fact that they will be missing a wall.

If my group would, just for a change of pace, do things the careful way, we could then wait four days or so for the bandits to calm down and bomb them again. Remotely. Without being seen, because we have access to magic, magic items, and a rogue with Darkstalker.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 29, 2010, 04:24:28 pm »

My only objection to that is that it would be boring. So, I guess I'll cull my protests for now. With any luck something more interesting would happen. I can't complain about your ideas anymore until we actually get a look at this Dwarf fortress. If this goes off without a hitch then it might actually be memorable for some other reason.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 29, 2010, 04:54:42 pm »

The complete and utter lack of exterior walls would be a problem with that plan.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 29, 2010, 05:07:01 pm »

I myself wouldn't mind being careful. Clerics aren't usually known for their violently straightforward plans.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 160