Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125678 times)

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries - Always hiring new players
« Reply #315 on: August 28, 2010, 06:39:54 pm »

Except you canonically had to run inside and arrived halfway through our battle with the giant telf. You either need to justify why you weren't helping or why you were outside.

Also, wisdom determines naïveté versus common sense not intelligence.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:42:16 pm by Robocorn »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 28, 2010, 06:57:39 pm »

Canonically, Cerrad is a good person, who is also pragmatic and well-versed in battle tactics and logistics, and wouldn't have let the group (who have, as noted in his journal entries, repeatedly shown themselves to be nowhere near paranoid enough for professional mercenaries) go do a combat mission without his help for almost anything.

Since Cerrad's temporary unavailabilites were beyond my (and therefore his) control, his journals will reflect his perspective as it would have been, if he had always been with the group, but the results of all our activities had been the same.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 28, 2010, 07:07:21 pm »

So Cerrad is paranoid, and fears for our safety. At least Ronald's gone, Cerrad would ahrdly get any sleep with that evil sneak skulking around.

That sounds somewhat agreeable. So Cerrad will be retconned into the dungeon with us but he will continue to have been unimportant up until that point. Maybe he had allergies from the alchemical residue and spent several standard actions in a sneezing fit. The possibilities are endless.

EDIT: Wait does this mean you're not going to mention when Dharsus took out his spyglass and handed it to you so we could observe the tower from a distance? (In reality I gave it to Eafoth and found out he was blind, but it would have gone to you next if you were present) It's not like we saw anything, but it seemed like the kind of shit Cerrad would like.

EDIT2: Come to think of it, were you around when we were discussing getting Eafoth a new robe that doesn't look like a traffic cone? or when Shonus Aryana came up with an idea to enter the tower through the roof using a fly spell? It seems like you're just not around when we have good ideas.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:23:43 pm by Robocorn »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 28, 2010, 08:57:15 pm »

You mean, you guys actually considered being careful about something once? Oh my gosh, I'm so proud of you all.

Now be like that all the time, or else if Shonus gives us a crafty enemy who is dedicated to killing us specifically, we're toast.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 08:59:25 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2010, 09:03:08 pm »

Don't we already have one?  Possibly more, after saving the Archon?

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 28, 2010, 09:37:33 pm »

That's more the reverse, I don't know about you, but it seems Shoruke and I had the same idea of getting holy weapons in order to prepare to fight devils. Constructions can be blown away by Eafoth's mace, Undead can be smashed apart by our holy weapons, and ghosts are vulnerable to Cerrad's dagger. We've already prove we're able to take care of trolls. We actually seem to be fairly well rounded defensively. The only things we would have a lot of trouble with would be good outsiders (which without Gubble or Ronald, tend to have no reason to attack us and could be talked out of it by Naren's silver tongue) and Oozes, which are slow as shit and we could easily retreat from if the going ever got tough.

I guess wizards could also fuck our shit up, but he already knows that.

EDIT: Oh wait, we suck against plants too
EDIT2: And werewolves.
EDIT3: And dragons.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:43:22 pm by Robocorn »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 28, 2010, 10:33:06 pm »

I have myself a silver Holy Symbol. I could totally kill a werewolf by beating it to death with it. With plants, we'd just need a slashing weapon. For a scimitar, it only costs 90 gp for it to be coated in alchemical silver, so you could get a plant/werewolf slaying weapon right there. Dragons will be a problem whether we can bypass their DR or not.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2010, 11:51:14 pm »

I didn't know about the silver holy symbol. Either way, if we fight a werebear we might have a bit of trouble even if you use your holy symbol it will overcome the damage reduction to do improvised weapon damage. Which for an item that size wouldn't be good.

I don't know where you got your ideas from. We have a flaming falchion if I recall but perhaps counter intuitively, plants are neither affected by fire or slashing. They're more of a nuisance anyway because they aren't affected by Cerrad's sneak attack. It doesn't matter much because there's only one plant monster I can think of off the top of my head that would be able to stand a challenge to us.

Yeah, dragons are always fun. I guess a Beholder would be a bitch for us to fight. I can't think of too many more we wouldn't be prepared for, cheer up Lucus.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2010, 11:55:05 pm »

I don't know where you got your ideas from. We have a flaming falchion if I recall but perhaps counter intuitively, plants are neither affected by fire or slashing. They're more of a nuisance anyway because they aren't affected by Cerrad's sneak attack. It doesn't matter much because there's only one plant monster I can think of off the top of my head that would be able to stand a challenge to us.

Yeah, dragons are always fun. I guess a Beholder would be a bitch for us to fight. I can't think of too many more we wouldn't be prepared for, cheer up Lucus.
I thought most plants had DR/Slashing. A beholder might actually be an interesting fight, considering I'd be immune to its Gaze attacks and therefore be on equal terms with it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 29, 2010, 12:02:16 am »

Actually... I CAN sneak attack plants. And undead, and oozes, and constructs, and anything else immune to sneak attack, but only if I'm flanking it (not denying it dex to AC some other way), and I do half sneak attack damage. Still, against plants? That should be more than sufficient, I should think.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 29, 2010, 12:30:52 am »

I thought most plants had DR/Slashing. A beholder might actually be an interesting fight, considering I'd be immune to its Gaze attacks and therefore be on equal terms with it.
I looked them up and I guess DR/slashing is exclusive to Treants. Which also seem to be the only plant creature affected by fire. Needless to say, you would be the only one hampered by this restriction, all other memners possessing slashing weapons several of which have fire damage.
[/quote]
Actually... I CAN sneak attack plants. And undead, and oozes, and constructs, and anything else immune to sneak attack, but only if I'm flanking it (not denying it dex to AC some other way), and I do half sneak attack damage. Still, against plants? That should be more than sufficient, I should think.
Some obscure prestige class ability I presume.

Like I said, in the monster manual, there's only one plant monster that would even put up a fight, some Huge monstrosity that has regeneration and sneak attacks by swallowing you whole. There are probably more in the other Monster manuals, but I'm not going to bother looking up things to kill us.

I'm up for fighting a beholder, sounds like something that might actually be a challenge. Not like Bigtelf, a real boss monster.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 29, 2010, 02:17:32 am »

Some obscure prestige class ability I presume.
[/quote]

Alternate Class Feature from Dungeonscape, actually. I gave up Trap Sense to get it, which I feel is a good trade; I'm not rendered completely useless in entire campaign settings, and I have trouble remembering when I *do* have trap sense anyway.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 29, 2010, 03:54:23 am »

Speaking of which, we happen to be going to a dungeon, at least if the dwarves of this campaign are all similar in architectural tastes. If it's a dungeon teeming with traps instead of mooks we may have trouble just rolling a keg down and shooting it with a fire arrow.

Actually, that would be a really funny way of getting rid of the traps, but it would probably collapse the ceiling.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 29, 2010, 07:13:47 am »

Collapsing the ceiling would be really bad for our loot, and probably our xp, but if it gets rid of the bandits then we still get paid...

As for challenging plants, a colossal assassin vine would have an ab of 36, a grapple bonus of 60, 3d6+30 damage, 445 HP, 27fort, 10 ref, 12 will, and a supposed CR of, I believe, 13. Although it would probably only have one attack. I forget how to calculate the DC of a supernatural ability, but it is probably half HD, which would give it a DC 27 entanglement spell as a free action...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 29, 2010, 10:46:09 am »

A colossal Black Willow would be able to grapple six times per round (on different targets, if it chose) with a modifier of +41.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 160