Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Iter Vehemens ad Necem questions?  (Read 21744 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iter Vehemens ad Necem questions?
« on: July 12, 2010, 06:19:16 pm »

Has anyone ever played Iter Vehemens ad Necem? its a great rougelike, just have some questions

How do I savescum? Trying to alt f4 when I die does NOT work, upon death the save files are erased instantly.

Whats engraving for?

How does the damage system work, you have a general HP but you also die if your head, torso and "groin" (lol?) deatroyed, I get messages like (Your head is bleeding very badly!) but my head is not red but black.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iter Vehemens ad Necem questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 06:34:25 pm »

IVAN is, um... "Special". I acutally came her from an Ivan forum.

Run a google search for that Attnam forums. Should be some good stuff in there, but it's been a long time since I visited.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:42:03 pm »

One thing to be careful for. Last time I checked you could decapitate yourself on porcupines and not die. Which seems awesome until you realize without a mouth you can't eat, talk, pray, or see.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 07:00:31 pm »

Yeah, the game is a little buggy.

Pro-tip: Keep your max-health as low as you can. Monster generation and power is tied directly to your max-health.

Biggest newbie mistake: Thinking that the wicked armor that gives you an extra hundred or so HP is an awesome drop. D:

Try Wizard mode sometime. I die faster in Wizard mode than I do when playing normaly!

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 07:03:05 pm »

How do I prevent my saves from being erased when I die?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 07:05:35 pm »

You play something that's not a Rougelike.

Seriously just find them and copy them. I think somewhere in the config it lists the save directory.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:09:34 pm »

Pretty much what Janet said. The more often you save your progress, the less progress you'll lose when you die.

You filthy savescummer you.

:D

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:01:08 pm »

Pretty much what Janet said. The more often you save your progress, the less progress you'll lose when you die.

We all do a little saves scumming when nobodies looking ;)
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 08:13:35 pm »

IIRC, engraving allows you to engrave certain words on certain tiles, and monsters would react to it. Engraving some goddess's name would make monsters absolutely avoid that tile, turning it into a nice spot to drop your stuff in. At least thats what I vaguely remember.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 08:14:56 pm »

But when you die, ALL your saves instantly disapear as soon as your HP hits Zero, so your fucked entirely.

Any way around this system?>

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »

You copy the save file to another location and/or change the name a little.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 08:23:18 pm »

IIRC, engraving allows you to engrave certain words on certain tiles, and monsters would react to it. Engraving some goddess's name would make monsters absolutely avoid that tile, turning it into a nice spot to drop your stuff in. At least thats what I vaguely remember.

I think you're thinking of Nethack... unless it works on IVAN too? I can't say I ever tried. I've only played it a few times. I like the concept, but adding oblivion-style scaling to a roguelike makes things almost impossible. Still fun on occasion for the dismemberment and explosions and stuff. You know, the same stuff that makes DF adventure mode entertaining. xD

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 08:24:03 pm »

How does the damage system work, you have a general HP but you also die if your head, torso and "groin" (lol?) deatroyed, I get messages like (Your head is bleeding very badly!) but my head is not red but black

You have your own HP but your bodyparts have their own.

When a bodypart "dies" it falls off. When your Groin, Body, Neck, or Head dies you die as well (at least I think the neck was a bodypart... I could be mistaken)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 08:45:23 pm »

body parts:
                           head
                             II
                   arm--Torso--arm
                            groin(balls)
                           //  \\
                         leg   leg

if i remember these are starting hp and their increments for each endurance point:

head 2/1
torso 16/2
2x arm 4/2
groin 3/1
2x leg 4/2
or something like that, limbs shots required high dexterity so the mistress queen had a hellload of dex points as all of her attacks were cockshots until death.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 08:46:49 pm »

No neck bodypart. Unless it ever progressed beyond v0.50.

It's incredibly fun using Wizard mode to spawn dozens of veteran kamikaze dwarves inside the cathedral of Valpurus. Then, teleport away, and use a wand of fireballs to start the show(if it doesn't start on its own). It takes days for the smoke to clear.

@blood's ninja: It thought higher dex meant closer to the groin/head, and not further. And mistresses should high dex, they use whips after all.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7