Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Iter Vehemens ad Necem questions?  (Read 21739 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iter Vehemens ad Necem questions?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 02:43:28 pm »

The way to win seems obvious enough to me.

Then you lost. That much is obvious to me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 02:44:06 pm »

My post in the "Your most horrible death"-topic:

Hah.

Evil genie at UT 1.
Wand of Striking destroyed his arm and he lost hold of his arcanite two handed scimitar.
"Victory is mine!" I thought when I picked it up and started hacking away.

But then he bit me.
In the groin.
Critically.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 07:45:10 pm »

The thread rises from the dead!

So I just uncovered the way to enter Underwater Caverns Level 4.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 08:51:03 pm »

Come back with a better weapon? Something sharp enough should chop off limbs fairly easily. Might try out mines, or some of the more damaging wands. You're probably not going to be able to pull it off right off the bat, unless you luck out with a fireball wand or something. Might try polymorphing your pet into something dangerous. Or polying the golem. Usually better to use the wands for polypiling, though, so that might be a bit of a waste.

Been too long since I've played IVAN, though, so I can't say for sure what the best option is. Never really tried to get far into it legitimately, though. Too much fun to sic necromancer hordes on the main city and watch the freakishly long lasting violence.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 08:54:43 pm »

You may also want to train dexterity, a lot.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 02:58:08 am »

Oh man, I love this game. It really sucks that its no longer in development and hasnt changed in like 4 or 5 years. Never got a win with this though. Actually, the only RL I have ever won was Incursion with a Dwarf Warrior.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 04:19:38 am »

Oh man, I love this game. It really sucks that its no longer in development and hasnt changed in like 4 or 5 years. Never got a win with this though. Actually, the only RL I have ever won was Incursion with a Dwarf Warrior.

Some have tried to develop it themselves but easily found that the creator(s) of this coded like a monkey and can't make heads or tails of it.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 12:35:24 pm »

There are a lot of derivate versions though, and some people are working on cleaning up the code. That happens a lot, but this time, they are actually making progress! So, who knows?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 12:42:25 pm »

Some have tried to develop it themselves but easily found that the creator(s) of this coded like a monkey and can't make heads or tails of it.

I got the source code once, just to see how the difficulty scaling worked (so I could adjust it a little). This seemed like it would be easy.

I looked at the code... and kept looking at it. I could not comprehend what the hell I was staring at. It's a complete mess.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 01:38:09 pm »

Didn't someone say one time that IVAN was designed to be impossible to win, and if you succeeded, then it was literally a bug?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 02:02:31 pm »

Didn't someone say one time that IVAN was designed to be impossible to win, and if you succeeded, then it was literally a bug?
It's not intended to be impossible, just almost impossible. Though the first player to win it that I know of posted it under 'bug reports'.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 02:18:18 pm »

The requirements for a non-luckly non-early victory are so annoyingly "There is no way you would come up with this on your own" it drives me nuts.

To the point where when I challenged people to win without either of these tricks people said "No it is impossible"

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 03:44:16 pm »

I made it further in IVAN than in any other Rougelike.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 04:20:10 pm »

"You hear a click under your feet. You look down and see an active mine."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 05:10:43 pm »

"You hear a click under your feet. You look down and see an active mine."

Get fire resistance, a belt of levitation, pray to that nature godess that causes earthquakes, detect iron with scroll of detect material.
Unsecure methods would be ring of searching, or simply searching a lot.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7