Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293805 times)

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1515 on: May 26, 2012, 11:29:56 pm »

I just read this over the course of on and off reading for an hour, and if it wouldn't be to much to ask, could you give me a hammer or axe dwarf(prefably a legendary hammerer) This is a great story!

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 27, 2012, 10:02:56 am »

Sorry for the doublepost, but I just heard the following song and I couldn't have imagined a song that currently fits the fortress more than this(look at the artists name)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 27, 2012, 02:00:40 pm »

I doubt there's a problem with double posting.. nice song.
Although, you realize, you CAN edit your own posts....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:11:38 pm by Siraidan9 »
Slicity, slice, stab, stab, cut, thrust, roundhouse kick, hack

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 27, 2012, 10:00:41 pm »

Perhaps, but editing posts doesn't bring the thread to the top of the list.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 28, 2012, 11:46:14 am »

eh, whatever works I suppose.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 28, 2012, 04:51:05 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Malachite, 325

I just had a visit from Argonnek.  He can occasionally be a drunken nuisance but he gets his work done just the same.  Anyhow, he stumbled in and in a fit of suprising coherence suggested building some fortifications for the archers before opening the pits.  Then he stumbled out in a drunken stupor. 

I’m honestly not sure how I missed that massive detail.  I’ve quickly sketched out some plans and I’ll get the miners on it right away.  I’ve also got to figure out how to get a supply of bolts down there so the marksdwarves don’t have to run all the way back up to the fortress to re-arm.  Especially given the presence of those cave-in traps, I’d hate to accidently crush the marksdwarves. 

I hate to delay this more, but the marksdwarves deserve their time in the sun as much as the rest of the military.  Fortunately, the skill of our miners is legendary! 

Cog’s Journal, 23rd of Malachite, 325

One of the few remaining military dwarves who hasn’t changed their name came to my office today.  Requested a new name be assigned.  Oddly enough, he wasn’t sure what name to take, so he suggested just putting  down WSox as a place holder.  It might do the trick though.

Spoiler: WSox, the Hammerdwarf (click to show/hide)

I can manage that. 

Events of the 25th of Malachite, 325

Zanfar cursed in frustration.  Why were all these dwarves suddenly working down in the depths again? 

Cog’s Journal, 27th of Malachite, 325

The nervousness is so thick you can almost cut it with a knife.  In an attempt to calm the nerves of the fortress, Kezan is throwing a party.  The prep work by the mechanics is done in the depths and I think he’s rather relieved to be up in the main fortress now. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can’t say I blame him.   

Cog’s Journal, 2nd of Galena, 325

Well, we have a forgotten beast in the first cave level.  Just a poisonous stinger, which will be unable to penetrate the adamantine armor.  Derm says that Sturist hasn’t had a chance to take out a beast, so I guess he’s up. 

At least it doesn’t fly. 

Events of the 3rd of Galena, 325

Comp ran in an utter panic as the beast charged after him.  The beast had moved far faster than anyone could have guessed, especially considering how sluggish the other beasts had been.  He ran through the gates towards the fortress, the beast in hot pursit.  The beast was so focused on him, Balta managed had to dodge to one side to avoid being trampled. 

He dodged into the goblin storage, the former jail.  The beast paused to destroy the doors and then continued towards the fortress.  Comp breathed a sigh of relief.  That was too close.  But then he heard the screams in the central stairway.  The beast was in the secure area!

Savol the Mason dove behind the bear tethered in the door.  The beast surprisingly ignored both him and the bear and proceeded upstairs.  With a crash, the Indri’s clothier’s shop was destroyed.  And then Indri’s weaving station.  Then the beast wandered up the stairs straight towards Sturist who was running as fast as he could to the caves.  Sturist was well aware of the danger, based on the screams of the dwarves running up the stairs.

Sturist took a couple shots and then suddenly the beast turned and charged towards the stairs.  It was chasing after a child.  Ilral, one of the children of Adker the Marksdwarf.  Sturist watched in horror as the child dodged the beast once, the twice.  Then in surprise as the child threw a pair of punches that tore the fat on the surface of the beast’s skin.  As Sturist made his final charge, the child dodge and then got knocked around, but the beast couldn’t get a hit in.

Sturist took the moment to chop the beast’s leg off.  Now it was only a matter of time.  But the beast still had some punch in it, charging and missing constantly due to Derm’s training.  Then with a final blow, Sturist severed the beast’s pincer.  Between that and the blood loss, the beast finally collapsed to the ground. 

Sturist sighed.  The fight was only that complex due to the number of other dwarves around.  At least now he could go relax in preparation for the opening.  In honor of this kill, he decided to name his adamantine battle axe.  It would be known as Od Kastar, The Tunnel of Blocks from this day forward!

Today was a good day!

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Galena, 325

A near disaster averted by our military.  Today the human caravan arrived.  Can’t say I expect they’ll be carrying anything we want.  Except a bit of food.  I’ll arrange some token trading but our focus has to be on military preparations. 

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Galena, 325

Hmph.  A goblin siege now.  One would almost think they knew we were getting ready to do something big.  Oh well, easy come easy go.  Have fun soldiers.  Yes, I’m sending them all since we’re still hauling materials downstairs.  Might as well have a light warmup. 

OOC:  Dangit, forgot the marksdwarves.  It’s all good though, they’re taken care of now.  Bit of excitement in preparation for the big day.  I’ll have to detail the carnage of this siege next update.  The game seems inclined to delay me; I’ve had to forbid half the items in the fortress to get those bolts hauled downstairs. 

@Dermonster: Incoming!  Well soon at least. 

@Argonnek: Yeah, same here.  Whatever happens, it’s going to be great!  Thanks for the suggestion by the way, Can’t believe that slipped my mind!

@Siraidan9: Done, we’ll get that sorted!

@Just Some Guy: Thanks, glad you’re enjoying it!

@Triaxx2: Locked in, safe and sound!

@automaton: I hope so as well.  I fear some dwarves will die in this battle though.

@kisame12794: Still fun to read!

@wsoxfan: You made it just in time, probably one of the last successful claiming of the fortress!  No worries about the double post, doesn’t bother me in the slightest!  He’s posted above now, I missed that paragraph when I made the initial post.  Just let me know if you want a different name tagged.  I loose track of dwarf claimings if I don’t rename them!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:06:50 pm by Battlecat »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 28, 2012, 04:55:04 pm »

can i see the stats for the next migrant wave? or atleast those with no relations allready here?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 28, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »

Awesome, I get a brewery ballista, and the demons get crossbow bolts. Sweet.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 28, 2012, 09:59:21 pm »

@wsoxfan: You made it just in time, probably one of the last successful claiming of the fortress!  No worries about the double post, doesn’t bother me in the slightest!  He’s posted above now, I missed that paragraph when I made the initial post.  Just let me know if you want a different name tagged.  I loose track of dwarf claimings if I don’t rename them!
Ha, I had lurked on this about a year ago, and I was catching up when I noticed that you planned to conquer hell. I instantly decided that I wanted in. :D Oh, and the name that you choose is perfect.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 02, 2012, 10:27:52 am »

hate to slow down any other plans with the breaching of hell, but in an OOC fashion, do you mind telling me if there will be any ballistae set up in the area say, where the crossbowmen are? might help a few things if the melee troops get slaughtered. Kind of a last minute 'Screw you demons!' thing. Of course we may not have enough siege operators for a complete volley.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: June 05, 2012, 01:58:42 pm »

Events of the 17th of Galena, 325

Derm looked out across the battlefield at the goblin squads that were entering the area surrounding Towersoared.  They looked even bigger and more hulking than he remembered but that was no issue.  With a quick set of terse orders, he send two squads around the west, 2 squads to the north and the archers up into the hills behind Towersoared to take some shots at the goblins. 

Then he heard shouts from the fortress.  “Rusmo has come, a forgotten beast in the third cave level!

Derm roared back, “Seal the caves!”  I’ll send somebody to deal with it later!

As usual, Bennet charged ahead recklessly.  It was no wonder he was considered to have bad luck.  And as usual, just as the rest of the squad was approaching, Bennet was knocked into the moat. 

But then the rest of the squad was knocked in shortly after.  There was no doubt, these goblins had more mass.  Except for Sturist, he was cornered by a cactus.  Sturist fell into full defensive mode and began blocking shot after shot.

Derm reformed his squad and sounded the charge again.  This time they would have better luck.  And indeed, the tore into the goblins with a vengeance, strewing limbs everywhere.  Every member of Derms squad had at least 2 kills.  So Derm gestured casually with his axe, “There are more in the hills, let’s get them!” 

Garet was slightly ahead of his squad, wielding his new platinum war hammer.   There were some Trolls ahead.  He charged in, swinging with enthusiasm, if not a lot of skill.  He didn’t manage to kill any but he got some excellent experience with the weapon.

The rest of the siege collapsed without incident.  The goblins were certainly larger and more hulking but they were easy enough to kill.

In terms of injuries, Bennet had a cut on his arm, Ustuth the axedwarf also had a nasty cut on her arm but neither one was life threatening.  With luck, they would be cleaned up and ready before the next battle.  Then Derm got the best news yet, as a runner came up from the fortress:

A good battle indeed and even better news!  Now who was going to take care of the beast in the third cave level?  His squad had taken their turns; it was time for some others to get a chance. 

Events of the 20th of Galena, 325

Monty was simultaneously excited and apprehensive.  Derm had approached after the siege to inform her that it was her turn to defeat the beast in the caves.  He also made a sarcastic comment about her visions likely being an asset.  After all, how could a beast defeat someone who could see the future? 

Monty growled in frustration.  Visions didn’t work that way, they never had.  The gate ground open ahead of her, and she made her way out into the caves to being the hunt. 

Events of the 8th of Limestone, 325

Monty had been hunting for days when she heard the crashing noise.  It sounded like a pump being torn aparat.  Then suddenly, she realized, it was over in the adamantine obsidian encasing mechanism and tearing it to shreds. 

Then she heard a screech of horror from the beast as a wall of magma flowed out into its face.  And then screams of pain, horrible pain as the beast began to burn alive.  Apparently forgotten beasts weren’t all fireproof.

The screams continued for what seemed like an eternity as the beast slowly burned and melted in the fire.  Then the sound cut off with a terrible final gasp.  She shuddered and made her way back up into the fortress.  What a horrible way to die.  She paused a moment, waiting for the ecstasy of a vision to overtake her, but there was nothing.  Evidently this death had no significance. 

OOC:  Almost there, the bolt supply is finally filling to an adequate level to support the archers during the upcoming battle.  The forgotten beast death was pretty horrible!

@Aseaheru: I’ll let you know when one arrives although I’m not expecting one since the population is quite high.  I also sent you a PM regarding the last migrant wave that arrived with the king. 

@Siraidan9: Indeed!  There aren’t any ballistae set up in the basement unfortunately, between the absence of operators and space it’s not really feasible.  I wish I had left space though, that would have been cool. 

@wsoxfan: Nifty, well I’m glad you’re getting the chance to join the fun!   

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: June 07, 2012, 06:48:56 am »

ah well...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 07, 2012, 10:17:13 am »

Possibly the easiest FB kill of the fortress.

A good sign? Of course not, this is DF after all.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: June 07, 2012, 07:35:14 pm »

Probably more of a sign of magma flooding the fortress, melting and drowning all who stand in it's way.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: June 13, 2012, 04:06:43 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 10th of Limestone, 325

It took forbidding half the jobs in the fortress and reassigning half the dwarves in the fortress temporarily, but we finally have a decent supply of bolts down in the defensive zone. 

There have been some murmurings about adding siege weapons, but the shortage of trained dwarves makes that somewhat impossible.  The siege engineers are setting up some ballistae and catapults in the siege tower at the front gate though, which will be our training zone for siege operations in the future. 

I believe we are ready.  We’ll haul as many bolts as we can before winter arrives.  The first day of moonstone marks the beginning of our final push to ensure the eternal security of our home.  I know it seems like I’m delaying, but honestly, I’ve seen how quickly our arches use bolts.

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Limestone, 325

Apparently Catten Umbafol has been taken by a creative mood.  She walked right out of the military tower where the informal training sessions are on the go mid swing.  Eventually she found her way to a mason’s workshop and began gathering materials. 

At least she’ll be done before we start the battle.

Cog’s Journal, 3rd of Sandstone, 325

The bolt supply has improved sufficiently to put the masons back to their normal duties.  I made sure to thank them all profusely for taking several months off from their work to help with these preparations.  The bolt hauling shall continue however, though at a slower rate. 

Our strand extractors tell me they’ve officially processed all the available adamantine in the fortress right now.  There is more mined, but since I’ve forbidden all dwarves entry into the combat zone, the supply has dwindled.  I guess they get a temporary holiday and can putter around with some hauling for now. 

Cog’s Journal, 5th of Sandstone, 325

The haulers should be able to handle things from here.  I’ve got a special project I need the miners to get to work on ASAP.  I nearly forgot about this detail, but we should be able to get the basics done in time thanks to the legendary skills of our miners.  I’ve also got some work for the engravers, but it shouldn’t take them very long to finish this job. 

Cog’s Journal, 21st of Sandstone, 325
As the day approached, Catten brought her creation to the fortress.  A stunning obsidian door.  I value it at 81,600 urists. 

Another impressive creation by one of the founders.  Nearly all the founders have created an artifact now I think. 

OOC:  The final day is approaching.  I know it seems like I’m putting it off, but really I’m not!  This project is absolutely vital, won’t take too much longer and will ensure a proper legacy for our proud military dwarves, regardless of what may be ahead.   

And in all honesty, it’s something I started on quite some time ago and then got distracted by other projects.  It needs to be done asap. 

@Siraidan9: On the bright side, there are a lot of siege engines going up at the front gates.  There will be work still; I’m hoping to use them in a future siege. 

@Triaxx2: Yeah, I’ve never seen an easier one.  Too bad it’s a one shot deal.  The pump is broken, and that area is going to be uninhabitable for a while now. 
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 118