Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293799 times)

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1530 on: June 13, 2012, 07:19:54 pm »

Alright, cool, though the siege engines won't help much if the demons win. But if you're that confident, hey, maybe there is a chance. It's not like I've ever Truly attempted to beat the land beyond the candy before.
Slicity, slice, stab, stab, cut, thrust, roundhouse kick, hack

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 13, 2012, 07:50:27 pm »

Ra! Ra! The time comes near!

My axe is sharp, my clothes are shining of purest dwarven ingenuity and my will is as tempered adamantine!

Ra! Pull the lever! Let me have this one last fight, the fight to end them all! Let me show them myself, so they may cower!

Hurrah! Today is the day we take hell! And with Armoks bloody blessing, it shall be me heading the charge.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 14, 2012, 02:01:36 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Timber, 325

The secret project continues, and is almost done to a point where it can be revealed to the general fortress population. 

On a separate note, a dwarven caravan arrived today.  They must be from some surviving outposts, in spite of the fall of the capital.  They will be watched carefully in case there are spies among them, but we will trade with them regardless. 

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Timber, 325

Today a goblin ambush and some snatchers showed up at our fortress.  We only caught sight of them in time because of the cougars guarding the fortress gates.  As they were trained to, they let out a mighty roar.  Monty was the first on scene and made short work of the goblins. 

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Timber, 325

And now some Kobolds have arrived in their latest siege attempt.  Whatever is driving these creatures to war seems to be getting desperate.  Ah well, this should be easy.  In the meantime, I have to take care of trading with the dwarves who showed up. 

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Timber, 325

The siege is broken, easily as expected.  The only really scary moment was when Garet ran ahead of his squad and took on a swarm of kobolds solo.  His relative inexperience with the hammer showed a bit but he took out two before he was forced to dodge into the moat.  He was unharmed and the siege fell apart.

The traders are from a distant dwarven kingdom.  We’ve had some contact with them, but nothing particularly major.  Apparently they reserve trade for capital cities alone and they want to improve ties with our nation.  Even better, they had one of my request lists from a couple years ago and brought everything on it they could. 

Trading was incredibly lucrative.  We traded a mass of gemstones for the southern mural (if we ever get it started), food and drink.  All told, the haul was valued at 42,449 urists.  We got it all for a single adamantine battleaxe, an extra one that was crafted in the early days.  The head tradesman’s eyes nearly popped out of his head at the sight of such material. 

When I told him that our military was entirely clad in the stuff, he nearly fainted. 

Cog’s Journal, 24th of Timber, 325

At long last, it is time to reveal the secret project.  I present, the Military Catacombs:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is a dedicated mausoleum for each member of our military so they may be remembered appropriately if the worst happens.  The space is still being finished, but all 30 coffins are being installed already.  Details are being taken care of and any military members may make requests if they desire.  Plaques are going to be installed to record notable kills made by the individual members.

All the tombs are the same size with one exception.  Derm the Soulchopper has an elevated tomb at the east end of the great hall. 

It’s of royal quality and there are 18 engraved memorial stones already installed.  One for each beast from the depths Derm has defeated in single combat.  The accomplishment is so mind boggling, I couldn’t think of anything more appropriate. 

It’s functionally complete just in time; the first of Moonstone is just around the corner.  There’s a lot of decoration still to do but the tombs are all assigned. 

Cog’s Journal, 27th of Timber, 325

A near disaster today.  A goblin snatcher managed to get deep into our fortress and tried to kidnap Etur, a child of Kezan our mechanic.  He managed to get her into a bag and halfway out of the fortress.  But thanks to the placement of our military tower, Bennet and Thor were waiting for him when he approached the bridge.  The made quick work of the goblin.

Etur appears to have a broken arm and several severe cuts.  Hopefully the doctors can fix her up.  But that’s a side issue.  Winter arrives day after tomorrow and the preparations are complete.  It is time. 

OOC:  Ok, this is it.  I’ve accomplished precisely my goals in preparation for the battle.  The tombs were necessary because I’d hate to not have a military dwarf honored properly.  Every one of the military members has an assigned tomb now. 

As I may have mentioned in the past, I plan to upload a couple version of the save game after I finish this fortress.  The first one will be the autosave generated on the first day of Moonstone, 325, immediately before anyone has been given orders regarding the HFS if anyone wants to try this fight themselves and for a few incidental tests after the fun is over. 

@Siraidan9: Yeah.  Those siege engines are for surface defense.  The military will be severely compromised during the upcoming battle, although the unclaimed former royal guard members will stay to take care of surface issues. 

@Dermonster: Nearer than you think.  Sharpen that axe fast! 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:06:19 pm by Battlecat »

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 14, 2012, 05:52:26 pm »

You sold. Adamantine. To a trader.

/faints
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 15, 2012, 05:55:56 am »

Towersoard, so awesome, the stuff hundreds of forts are destroyed for is so much excess luggage.

I will definitely be trying this fight myself.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 15, 2012, 06:30:46 am »

Can i make a Dairy? :D

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 15, 2012, 08:42:08 pm »

Welp good luck to all you militant dwarves, I personally hope to be in the farm or brewery or wherever that ballista was set up, during the entire event. Though, perhaps the job orders will toss me somewhere else... Preferably sitting in my ballista

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 15, 2012, 08:43:11 pm »

Any update on Anderz before the big day?
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 15, 2012, 08:44:28 pm »

Is my dorf Mr. Anderson still alive? If so, I wish for him to be a sacrifice sent in first in the real world, after Derm's solo run.
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 18, 2012, 12:05:17 pm »

Events of the 1st of Moonstone, 325

It was midnight and Cog woke up in a cold sweat.  There was a massive tactical flaw in the design of the military combat zone.  It wouldn’t take long to fix, but it had to fix now.  He grabbed his robe and pens and set out to revise the orders before anything irreversible was done. 

Events of the 15th of Moonstone, 325

Zanfar knew the window was narrow.  Cog had recalled all dwarves out of the depths from that impromptu project and would be dispatching the military shortly.  There would be no doubt about the horror that would be waiting for them below, Zanfar would see to that.  Her god had commanded it and the call could no longer be refused. 

Zanfar growled during the long walk down.  More than 20 years as a hauler.  That was the best this fortress could offer.  Well now at last the fortress would get what it deserved. 

Cog’s Journal, 15th of Moonstone, 325

We’re ready; I’ve ordered the shortcut to the adamantine to be severed.  I’ve also dispatched the military

Events of the 16th of Moonstone, 325

Zanfar had just barely cleared the shortcut when there were a loud series of clicks.  Zanfar too two quick steps and then was bowled over by a blast of dust and fast moving air.

Zanfar looked behind.  The shortcut had been collapsed.  Picking up the pick, Zanfar started running towards the adamantine.  According to the plans, the military would be dispatched as soon as the shortcut was collapsed.  Zanfar had no time left since Cog had suddenly stopped procrastinating. 

The adamantine was just ahead.  Zanfar’s pick bit into the adamantine.  Hacking, the process seemed to take forever, time slowing down.  Then suddenly, the wall ahead crumbled, revealing what her god had promised and what Cog and the mining team had somehow carefully avoided. 

A deep, hollow tube ran down the middle of the adamantine pillar.  Far below, there was a huge cave made of black stone.  Zanfar quickly attacked another block of adamantine.   The sounds from the depths were mildly irritating, but Zanfar continued working. 

A few minutes more and it would be time to crack open the other pipe.  This gateway wasn’t going to get closed again.

Events of the 17th of Moonstone, 325

Derm had his marching orders and was about halfway down to the caves when a hauler came up the stairs.  “Derm, what are you doing here?  Shouldn’t you be down there with the miner?” 

“What miner?” Derm asked sharply.  “Why the one that went to start on the magma pipe.  I thought the military were already in plac   e so I didn’t think much of it!”

Derm looked at the hauler for a split second and then bellowed “TO THE DEPTHS QUICKLY!”

And the military as one began running down the stairs at full speed.

OOC:  I literally woke up this morning just like Cog did.  Good thing I hadn’t cracked the fun yet.  The version I post is going to have the tactical modification I just added.  As it is, this is going to take a while to run.  FPS has dropped to 2 – 3 at best.  So I’ll be stretching out the updates to keep you posted.  And maybe for a bit of suspense. 

@Mjattie: Only due to necessity.  I don’t plan on making a habit of it but I was surprised by the quantity of things I actually needed that the traders had.  I was about 25,000 short on trading and the spare adamantine axe covered it all.  Such is life I suppose. 

Mr. Anderson is doing quite well, I’ll arrange to have him as part of the invasion team heading to the depths.  Assuming we survive of course.

@Triaxx2: I know, the place has become insane.  I just wish I could use the new minecart system.  But I’m pretty sure save compatibility was broken by the new version.

@Child of Armok: Go right ahead if you meant Diary.  If you meant dairy, I think there’s one setup in the fortress.  :-)

@Siraidan9: You’ll be safe and sound.  Actually, it’s business as usual for the rest of the dwarves in the fortress.  I’ve got you making the parts for your ballista right now, and the traders brought a ton of plump helmets I snagged for brewing. 

@ansontan2000: Anderz is doing quite well.  He’s gotten two kills in recent sieges (a kobold and a goblin).  He’s going to miss the first minutes of the initial wave since he’s getting some sleep, but he’ll be heading to his station down in the depths soon I’m sure. I’ll be making detailed notes about the soldiers responsible as the mobs get killed, particularly since the FPS will be heading to zero soon. 

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 18, 2012, 12:09:46 pm »

IT BEGINS!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: June 18, 2012, 12:23:43 pm »

Whistles while he works, what a beautiful day to be a dwarf in the safest most secure fortress in the world!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: June 18, 2012, 04:16:37 pm »

Cool. Bets on who dies first, anyone?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: June 21, 2012, 08:23:55 am »

The battle is joined. All hail the warriors! And close those damned bridges!

These were the words heard from Triaxx Tower, echoing through the depths of the caverns. A moment later the sound of clanking was heard as the bridges that acted as shutters to his tower slammed closed, sealing him from harm.

Blead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: June 21, 2012, 11:27:54 am »

Hurray I have waited so long for this!
NOT a friendly dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 118