Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293195 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1335 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:57 pm »

Sorry for the double post.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: September 13, 2011, 06:15:54 pm »

Huzzah, arts!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: September 13, 2011, 06:26:11 pm »

Working on a coat of arms.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:19 pm »

Again sorry for the double post. MOAR ARTS!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: September 13, 2011, 07:25:58 pm »

Been reading Gemclod lately.

Was reminded of that utility that transfers DF forts into minecraft structures.

We should try that out, and screenshot it!
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: September 13, 2011, 07:31:38 pm »

only works for alpha
trust me I tried

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: September 13, 2011, 07:34:18 pm »

Isn't there some way to get a copy of the alpha? Grab a copy, disconnect from the internet so no auto-update, then run the thing?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: September 13, 2011, 07:36:52 pm »

Working on it.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: September 15, 2011, 01:31:54 pm »

Derm's Journal – Combat Exercise Project #2 - 1st of Hematite, 323

Trial 2.  ThatdudeBerkashez Medtobsebsur Edos, Marksdwarf.  She is wearing a mixture of steel and leather armor but an adamatine mail shirt and an artifact head wrap.  She  is wielding Anirborush, the adamantine crossbow created by Crifmer. 

Worst case scenario vs an archer, combat in the second cave level monster defense system.  Thatdude in the archers area decides to liquidate me as I return from battle.   She will get several clean shots at me as I attempt to return and defend myself.  Thatdude is a far more effective archer than any I have ever faced, the question is, can I dodge her shots?

The answer is, I can easily block her bolts.  Thanks to my observation of her in combat and training, I have the answer.  In spite of her powerful ability, the bolts still travel slower than my reaction speed.  For additional challenge, let us say she suborned the weapon traps as I enter the fortress.  They are easily dodged, and cannot move nearly quickly enough to harm me. 

Adamantine is the only defense against adamantine.  While her mail shirt will protect her body, I can easily remove limbs such as legs, feet and heads once I am in melee combat with her. 

Conclusion: A single marksdwarf while powerful is not a threat alone without support of other military members.  Even if the weapon traps are suborned by an enemy military force, I will certainly have no trouble getting past them. 

Cog’s Journal, 15th of Hematite, 323

Nothing major to report this month.  Just busywork laying floor, building blocks and continuing work on the adamantine security system. 

OOC: Busy week and next week is going to be even worse!  Not a lot of gaming time as a result, but I'll post when I can.  It'll pass by mid October I think.  Interesting to note that Derm is capable of avoiding weapon traps. 

@dermonster: Glad to hear you're enjoying these little updates

@kisame12794: I'll put Thor up against Derm for the next trial at some point in near future.  Love the pictures you've posted, I particularly like the coat of arms. 

@Ahra: It's hard to avoid when I'm so curious to see how powerful he is. 

@Triaxx2: Whoops, I forgot to plug the water supply in.  Consider it a priority for the coming weeks. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:34:41 pm by Battlecat »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: September 16, 2011, 03:48:48 pm »

Not a problem, I was just showing the fort off to some non-players, and wondered why I didn't have any water.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 16, 2011, 04:07:36 pm »

Is there a DFMA entry for this fort? I'd very much like to see it!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: September 16, 2011, 04:47:15 pm »

Yes there is.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10673-towersoared

That's the link to the most resent year posted. If you do a search on the site for towersoared, you'll see that battlecat has uploaded the map for every year, so you can actually see the growth.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: September 16, 2011, 06:29:32 pm »

Yes there is.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10673-towersoared

That's the link to the most resent year posted. If you do a search on the site for towersoared, you'll see that battlecat has uploaded the map for every year, so you can actually see the growth.

Thank you!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: September 21, 2011, 11:11:29 am »

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Hematite, 323

Finally, something to finally spice up the otherwise quiet year.  A large beast appeared in the second cave level. 

Derm is on the job already I’m sure.  On a completely unrelated note, Triaxx again reminded me that the tower would need a water supply if it was to be of any use.  I’ve assigned a miner to dig some tunnels out to the nearest pool which should be more than sufficient. 

Cog’s Journal, 10th of Malachite, 323

Derm is continuing to hunt the beast in the second cave level.  In the meantime one of our haulers brought out his secret project, a beautiful orthoclase coffin. 

When asked to explain it, the hauler just said he was inspired by something.  Monty couldn’t resist bringing up discussions about how this could be a sign that today is be the last day for Derm.  It’s just a monstrous forgotten beast, Derm hasn’t failed yet.

Events of the 15th of Malachite, 323

Derm had been hunting for many days but at last his quarry had come into sight.  He charged in, axe at the ready and severed one of the creature’s legs with his first blow.  The beast reared and roared in anger before charging him.  Derm defended himself flawlessly and allowed the beast to push him into the lake.

As soon as he hit the water, a cloud of blood blossomed around him. 

For a moment Derm thought he had hurt himself, but then he realized that it was all the spatters of blood on his armor and weapon from the various battles of the past several years.  He removed another limb from the forgotten beast.  It was slowing down, spraying ichor into the lake.  Then it stiffened and slumped to the lake bottom.  The blood flowed away due to a slight flow in the lake, covering the surface of the lake in a sheen of red and white.   

Fifteen beasts dead at the hands of the Soulchopper.  The greatest fifteen out of his 248 notable kills to date.  Perhaps it would be worth considering allowing other dwarves to test themselves in single combat against these creatures.  Then again, perhaps not!  20 was a nice number as well. 

OOC: Slowly clicking away.  Your call dermonster if you want to let any other dwarves take on the forgotten beast supply. 

@Triaxx2: No worries, I appreciate the reminder!

@Savolainen5: Indeed there is, Syntic has linked it above.  I post one at the end of Obsidian each year.  Thanks for stopping by!

@Syntic: Thanks for taking care of that for me! 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:35:35 pm by Battlecat »

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 21, 2011, 01:42:52 pm »

The Towersoared Dailey
Your only news source

Today's Headline: Soul Chopper Takes First Bath in Years
Quote from Article: This expert warrior went from being the most blood covered dwarf in the fortress, to being the cleanest in a matter of moments. Other dwarfs have been heard saying that they hardly recognize him anymore. There are even a few that can not stand to be around him due to his smell being so repulsive, and hope for him to return to battle on dry land soon. One dwarf had this to say, "I know he could still rip me limb from limb, but I just can't look at him the same right now. He reminds me to much of those tree hugging elves. I'm just glad he didn't also use soap."

Weather Report:
Miners are reminded that it is earth quake season and to dig with care. Recent readings indicate that the shock-waves from Earth Quake Urist did not reach the fortress before dissipating, bringing us from Earth Quake Warning Level Topaz down to EQW Level Dirt.
Unfortunately travelers to the surface can expect sunny skies, without a cloud in sight for miles. We encourage anyone that must travel to the surface to remember to take a blindfold, or delay travel until next week when we expect more cloud coverage.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 118