Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293200 times)

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1305 on: August 29, 2011, 12:37:24 pm »

What you managed is still awesome, Battlecat.

Thanks again for the hard work of not only running this fort but the work on the write-ups!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 29, 2011, 07:26:36 pm »

I would have to say that with the detail of the write ups that you do, along with your willingness to try suggestions from other people has provided a whole bunch of play details that more chaotic players might have never even noticed. Heck even players that control there dwarfs very carefully might not have noticed some things simply because they themselves would have never thought of it.

It's interesting seeing how you've developed a way of playing that involves multiple people, yet doesn't just boil down into struggling to keep the place alive because someone thought it would be fun to open up "fun" stuff building a single bed.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:54 am »

Cog’s Journal, 5th of Granite, 323

Apparently Omen was acting unruly today.  His anguish at the loss of his pets in the last siege was too much and he picked a fight with Lars.  Nobody was hurt but of course that’s disorderly conduct which means Syntic took a moment to apply a beating.  Thank the gods I took his weapons away, Omen is uninjured, just a bit miserable. 

I hope he doesn’t flip out again. 

Cog’s Journal, 27th of Granite, 323

The big project for this month is running power from the main control column over to the dining hall.  In the long run this will also bring power to the pumps at the front gate but for now it’s time to get the water feature operating!  The fortress mechanics have been bored lately, although Scaraban seems to always be puttering on something.

The miners are busy acquiring another king’s ransom in adamantine.  Our supply is growing quickly, actually faster than we can convert it into wafers.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cog’s Journal, 6th of Slate, 323

I’ve laid out the design for the first in our series of adamantine defenses.  I know the legends of unstoppable legions but even those creatures cannot burrow through solid rock.  At least I hope not!  Knowing that, I’m establishing a series of 6 major deadfall traps that can be reforged using obsidian factory technology. 

This image shows the deadfall system from above.  The three smaller ones are part of a temporary access tunnel to improve the speed of access to the area until an emergency occurs.  They will be sealed rapidly after or during evacuation, forcing any invaders to take the long way.  The controls for this system will be placed in the room closest to the statue garden. 

More importantly, each one will be triggered independently so we can cut off the overwhelming forces while still giving the military a chance to fight whatever may attack from the depths.  Derm would have my head if I didn’t give him a chance at this glory.  I’m putting a moratorium on additional adamantine mining for the moment while we establish a bit of security for the future. 

OOC: Getting things set up for the fun now!  It’ll still be a couple years until I breech it though. 

@Indricotherium: Thanks very kindly, I always enjoy feedback and I try to keep it interesting!  Indri is still gathering epic quantities of silk by the way.  We have 194 GCS silk cloth and 368 basic cave spider silk cloth.  I really hope the issue of dwarves using new clothing is fixed soon!  I’ve had him occasionally crafting simple clothing just for fun.

@Syntic: Thank you very much!  The suggestions are a huge part of the fortress and they’ve added great things.  The hardest part is there are many ideas I want to implement that I still haven’t had enough dwarf power to take care of yet! 

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 31, 2011, 01:24:42 pm »

Triaxx definitely wants to be sealed in his tower before the fun starts.

How much power does the linkage from the power system to the water feature use?

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 31, 2011, 06:21:14 pm »

Just curious if you are willing to peek at an alternate reality of the fortress (IE back up your world, try something and then revert to the back up).

We all know how Derm is completely bad-ass. But many of the military dwarfs have trained nearly as much as he has, and just haven't made a name for themselves through sheer force of will like Derm. So perhaps we could see what would happen if one of the highly trained dwarfs and Derm went head to head. (Heck and if he wins that easily see if he can take on two of the remaining highly trained dwarfs at once.)

I mean with Derm cutting through monsters so easily, we don't really have a way to measure his strength anymore. That is unless we find out how many dwarfs Derm can bench press at one time. If we did that we could then define Derm as a unit of measurement. It would of course be used to measure how strong a dwarf army is. For instance someone could say, "That army over there is 5 Derms strong" and we would know through scientific measurement that the army had either 50 highly trained dwarfs in it, or 4 legondary Dwarfs and 20 decently trained people. The Derm measurement as you can see wouldn't tell you how big the army is, but how much damage the army could do. It would also be used to measure the safety of a fortress, as in "Oh crap that army is 5 Derms strong, but my army would have a hard time defending against one Derm. They consider it a huge victory to survive invasions that are so week they don't even rate a single Derm"

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 31, 2011, 08:46:05 pm »

I am now a unit of measurement. ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED! 1000000 Lifescore!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 31, 2011, 09:06:23 pm »

Wow...
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 01, 2011, 05:02:31 am »

It is however, sadly, not a recurring achievement like getting laid, which is worth a mere 1,000 Lifescore points. It also can't be comboed, or super comboed, earning 2x or more points at a time.

Mining super project idea. Find a location on the map and carve Towersoared into the ground in cursive script. Bonus points for then filling it in with blocks of something high contrast, like Microcline, or Basalt. (Don't recall what we've got in glorious abundance so...) Double bonus for filling it with water, and calling it Lake Towersoared. Triple Bonus for filling with Magma and calling it Towersoared trash, and goblin disposal.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 01, 2011, 12:20:40 pm »

@Battlecat
The views you showed were more than satisfactory. Seriously, very great work. If only I had the effort and dedication to do things like this in my own games  :P

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 01, 2011, 01:34:16 pm »

OOC: I'll be away this weekend so no update until Tuesday at the earliest, but I didn't want to leave your comments hanging all weekend!

@Triaxx2: I'll make sure you hide away in your bolt hole.  I'll also make sure it's fully stocked before that happens.  I like the idea you just posted as well.  Maybe up in the hills above the main fortress, I'll have to check how many pixels it'll take to make it look good.

@Syntic: Interesting idea, I like it!  I'll run some tests in the next week or two and let you know the results in a later update! 

@dermonster: Well, let's see how much it measure out to first.  :-D

@Thatdude: Thanks kindly!  I really want to see the full fortress overview in Stonesense.  I'm sure it'll be fixed someday.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 01, 2011, 05:02:23 pm »

I am back and reading the thread with interest. Currently at page 51. Expect Adker's journal, possibly in possession of one of his kids if he has died at some point.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 01, 2011, 05:52:00 pm »

I blame Hollywood.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 01, 2011, 06:10:07 pm »

Who doesn't?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 02, 2011, 06:24:54 am »

Hey, awesome. I'm a real celeb now.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 02, 2011, 04:08:12 pm »

Page 67 now. I've decided to post what I've already got:

Excerpts from the journal of Adker Rithasas, Marksdwarf

I am reasonably fond of the reactions that he would in my opinion develop. I will probably complete this, though I will not hurry quite so much.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 04:11:43 pm by ushilzagith »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 118