Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293185 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1365 on: October 05, 2011, 12:18:33 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 8th of Timber, 323

A Kobold child snatcher showed up in our fortress today.  Monty happened to be in the right place, and easily caught and dispatched the thing.   There have also been some complaints about giant eagles swooping in at working outside.  I had to remind everyone that a giant eagle is better than the vicious nightwings we used to see.  Especially since they’re just making a nuisance of themselves rather than attacking. 

Cog’s Journal, 10th of Timber, 323

Bennet’s wife gave birth to another son today, their 9th child!  It’s been quite some time since the last child was born in this fortress, but I’m glad to see the next generation is continuing to grow in size!

Cog’s Journal, 15th of Timber, 323

Hey, it’s the middle of Timber.  Guess what that means:

Joy.  I wonder what we’re going to get from the caravan this year.  Last year’s liaison was killed by kobolds so we didn’t get to make a specific order.  I wonder what mountainhome will have to say about that. 

OOC: Nothing exciting today, life is crazy as always.

@Triaxx2:  Yeah, that was my original plan as well, apparently it failed miserably.  It’s not a problem, I’ll just stuff em all back in cages and leave it at that! 

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: October 05, 2011, 02:49:32 pm »

Any more arena things?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

sayaks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: October 06, 2011, 06:03:06 am »

Could i get dorfed please? As a mechanic who trains a little with bows.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 07, 2011, 06:57:42 am »

How is my dwarf going
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: October 07, 2011, 12:25:42 pm »

Derm's Journal – Combat Exercise Project #2 – 18th of Timber, 323

Trial 3.  Thor Nazomkeskal Tobot Zan, Hammerdwarf.  Wearing an Adamantine breastplate, helm and shield.  The rest of his equipment is steel except for his hammer which is platinum.  He is a highly skilled fighter, so this will be a challenge.  The unused room on the upper floor of the military tower is an excellent location for this trial. 

Like many other dwarves, the weak link is the steel armor.  Duraduker Adol Rafum carves through it like butter.  I should easily be able to carve off both Thor’s arms.  The adamantine helm and breastplate pose an obvious challenge.  But with both arms severed, the dwarf will bleed out rapidly. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Result: Either more dwarves, or better armored dwarves will provide the necessary challenge.  However, the next thought experiment will be against one of my fellow axedwarves.  A true challenge if ever there was one.

OOC: The year is going very slowly and nothing exciting has happened recently so no actual fortress report today.

@dermonster: Yup indeed!  They take some extra time to set up and run, so I’ve been postponing it.  Second to last single combat fight in this update.   Next time, one of your axedwarves.  Then you’ll be taking on greater numbers. 

@sayaks: No problem at all, I’ve sent you a PM regarding your options.

@NoahTophatz: Ticking along quite nicely.  You’re a happy legendary mason. 

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: October 07, 2011, 02:22:24 pm »

Huh? I thought you said that the military was kitted out in full Addy? Exept for our hammers.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 07, 2011, 02:29:57 pm »

OOC: @kisame12794: The military is fully equipped in adamantium breastplates, helms and shields, plus appropriate weapons (platinum or adamantium).  I'm still working on the rest.  It's a lot of adamantium to mine and process. 

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 07, 2011, 05:18:31 pm »

Oh sorry.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 12, 2011, 11:32:47 am »

Cog’s Journal, 4th of Moonstone, 323

Hrm, that was about the most pitiful load the merchants have ever brought us.  Next to nothing useful except a bit of booze and food.  The humans brought better materials.  I ordered a metric ton of gemstones to start on the south wall.  Hopefully we’ll be able to do better next year. 

We’ve had kobolds lurking around our fortress this month, carrying sacks.  I’m certain they are looking for children to steal.  Fortunately, they aren’t too bright.  Two of them wandered into the training tower where Derm and his squad were preparing for the month.  It wasn’t pretty but it was funny!

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Moonstone, 323

I had a word with one of my good friends today, one of our legendary mechanics.  She would like to change her name, like so many other dwarves in this fortress.  I think that might have partially been pushed by the realization that she’s the only legendary mechanic that hasn’t changed her name.  She is now known as Sayaks.

OOC: Other than that, the month has been pretty uneventful! 

@kisame12794: No worries, it was an honest mistake.  It actually nailed home how important the adamantine armor will be.  Getting Derm’s squad fully outfitted in adamantine is a top priority now.  Once that’s done, you get a 1 vs 1 rematch with Derm. 

@Sayaks: Your dwarf’s official introduction is above!  The good physical condition comes from a lot of hard work lately. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:41:19 pm by Battlecat »

longgonejohn

• Bay Watcher
  • This and that
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 12, 2011, 08:28:22 pm »

Battlecat,  could you let me know how Ren is doing stat wise and any interesting social interactions?
"Work, is the bane of the drinking class."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: October 12, 2011, 08:29:52 pm »

How DO you set up those arena battles anyway?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 13, 2011, 04:21:59 pm »

Sorcery
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Shotgun5559

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 13, 2011, 07:18:01 pm »

My guess is he places you and your opponent where the battle will take place, then saves, then causes either one of you two to go berserk through something like runesmith. Followed by a savescum.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 14, 2011, 04:33:53 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 26th of Moonstone, 323

Today the duke ordered Syntic to throw Argonnek Asteshlaltur, one of our Legendary Masons in prison for 26 days.  The charge?  Failing to produce giant bat leather items.  I asked him what giant bat leather we would have used, but he was having none of it.

At least it’s a short sentence by recent standards. 

OOC:  Construction is proceeding at a good pace, but rather than boring you with the work in progress, I’ll update you with the overview map at year’s end. 

@longgonejohn: Ren has a classic case of military frustration.  You have no friends outside of your core family group!  That doesn’t seem to be bothering you much though, but the long periods on patrol as a marksdwarf aren’t leaving you in a good mood on occasion.  The images for your character aren’t in this post because I can’t upload them for some reason, but I’ll add the spoiler tags below when I get it working!  Edit: Here it is finally!

Spoiler: Ren, Marksdwarf (click to show/hide)

@dermonster: Shotgun5559 got it exactly right.  I isolate the combatants in a room, lock the doors and then use runesmith to turn one of the dwarves into an invader.  I’m using the invader code rather than beserk because it gives a more realistic behavior, including attempts at retreat when severely injured. 

@Scaraban: Considering how runesmith works, yeah that’s pretty close as well!  

@Shotgun5559: That’s almost exactly right!  The only difference is I make them invaders rather than beserk.   Mostly because I haven’t figured out which toggle makes them go crazy! 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:35:25 am by Battlecat »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 14, 2011, 06:58:56 pm »

"Prison?!" Argonnek bellowed at the officer.

"Yes, for-"

"But," he interrupted, "there's no booze in prison!"

"Well-"

"Months! Years away from my precious alcohol!"

"Your sentence is only-"

"NO!" Argonnek grabbed the nearest barrel and clung to it tightly. "Just one more drink!"

"Okay, but-"

Argonnek ripped open the tap, but nothing came out. After a moment of silence, he dropped the barrel, fell to his knees, and curled into the fetal position. The officer stood there awkwardly for a while, then grabbed Argonnek's collar and started dragging him to the prison wing.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 118