Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571793 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #555 on: December 31, 2011, 07:21:11 pm »

One last thing, the Java horse crap, doesn't just appear, I seem to get the files and directories, whenever I open IE.  Nothing else will write them to the drive, because of this cursed installer prompt, telling me to reinstall, then telling me I cannot reinstall, because its not on the drive.  Makes no sense, but I managed to get the files, but I have no idea how to register them, and I'm thinking the more I do, that I really don't know what I'm doing and I don't wanna break what is currently working.  However, if anyone has a suggestion, I'd behappy to read it, or even tryit.

Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 31, 2011, 07:40:20 pm »

Found a fix, trying it.  It removes the registry entries, so that it can reinstall.  *crossfingers*  It even provides an app to clean out the old registry files.  I did use that Windows removal tool, once or twice tonight in troubleshooting this, so its likely this will fix it. Hard to say, might just be a surface fix.  *ugg*

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=104537

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 31, 2011, 10:04:23 pm »

Sheesh dude, theres an edit button, you don't need to pentapost. Hope you got your problem fixed, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 01, 2012, 01:11:56 am »

Hope you got your problem fixed, though.

Yes.  That did the trick. 

This is an excellent program, I'm not sure even how I ever played DF and kept track of all this chaos, before running Soundsense, and getting these audio cues.  Its so much like Serf City II, now, it rocks.  Man, I miss that game.  I'm sorry to spam your thread.  Its definitely worth the headache.

Now I just gotta find, some Larry the Cable Guy sound bites.  HE! HE!

Sincerely,
Knutor

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #559 on: January 04, 2012, 05:22:36 am »

Yes, soundsense is awesome :)

I would love to include it in something I am making, already have a little launcher that would automaticaly start soundsense when you start dwarf fortress. But the installation, settings and the soundpack (200mb) are a bit too unhandy to just add to a modpack.

I would just add a link and a recommendation to use Soundsense in my mod, if thats ok, except if you have a better idea ;)

Againg, thanks for making this. Many graphic packs are out there, but only one ever went through the trouble of adding sound :)

You can simply give then bare soundsense and tell then to use update tab - it should download latest soundpack.

I suppose "recomendation link" is best idea thou - easiest both for you and for user.

It would be really cool if there are some sounds when the dwarfs are digging, like in dungeon keeper, and course that would be very practical because you can hear when they are done(no sound obviously) ^^ Greets
That's unfortunately impossible since Soundsense reads the gamelog file and digging doesn't produce a gamelog entry.

Discovering new deposit gives message and some digging sounds are tied to that. But that is it.

I suppose that can be expanded since we know what is being dicovered.

Wow, glad you managed to get it to work properly :-)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 04, 2012, 04:43:07 pm »

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Talk about an error dialogue...  No product name given, no action description given, and no reason given for it to be invalid.  No hint to proceed to registry at your own risk.  No tip to see Technet.  What the hell did I spend $250 dollars on Vista for?  I got better error messages in XP.

This is indeed a poorly written error that Microsoft performs to hinder and thwart business rivals, like Sun.  Why else would it appear? 
The action was an INSTALL.  Why the convolution in terms, why the vague 'products' identifier...  Its 2012 and this is how the end user is treated..  Their programmers must hate end users or MS is just too cheap to support what they deliver and to busy to help end users, in lieu of the hint of sabotaging rivals.

One monopoly is too many in a capitalist economy like America.  It was trains once, its PC's now, history does in fact repeat itself.  Now everyone in the service industry, just cops a dumb look, and because its okay for MS to charge for support, they do too. And then say, with greedy sympathy, "Oh! but we are sorry," while proceeding to skip all the way to the bank.

I heard they are going to push another OS down our throats, 8.  Soon.  Ugg.  Didn't 7 just appear?  Unless a rival steps up to MS, I'll just have to make another useless investment, in a sector very obviously drawing money out of the economy by tipping the scales, providing little, and taking way too much.

Bleh, what was I smoking.  Sorry for the melodramatic rant.

Sincerely,
Knutor
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:54:54 pm by knutor »

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 04, 2012, 05:18:31 pm »

Just wanted to say thanks for this awesome plugin.  Don't think I could play without it after trying it..  Not only are the sounds and music awesome, but I love the scrolling gamelog window - I can actually see whats going on before all my dwarfs are dead! 

Thanks again for putting the time into making it!

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #562 on: January 07, 2012, 09:12:42 pm »

Yeah I'll second that. Love Soundsense. I've added all my LotR soundtracks to the seasonal list (I tried to put them in appropriate seasons, and some battle music). The sound cues are really helpful. We have 5 senses, no sense in using only one of them, right?

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 07, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »

Been working on new combat sounds all day, I think you guys will enjoy them!
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Telekinesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 08, 2012, 09:32:28 am »

Hello,

I've been watching some let's play's lately notably Revocane's "lulworked" series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOQYFM00z5g&feature=channel_video_title and PlumpHelmetPunks in the past and they were the ones who introduced me to sounsdsense and actually giving DF a shot myself.  I played DF last summer quite a bit and fell in love with the music selections in soundsense, a haven't played it for around 6 months and revo's new series got me wanting to play again.  So I started up the LNP and soundsense and did "update" thinking only new sounds for events were going to added, but instead every song I loved from before I notice has now been replaced with songs I really do not like and find generic and pale in comparison to the originals, I beleive only one remains which is twill de something (which was good but still not one of my faves).  I have literally spent 3-4 hours today trying to find a copy of the previous soundpack that was out last summer and if you watch revo's video in the link I posted he is still using the soundpack I love.

If I knew everything I loved would be replaced I would have never updated!  The main reason that inspired me to play again was hearing the music I loved in the video, so it was a huge disappointment that the whole reason why I wanted to play is not there anymore.  I can't find anything on the internet that is hosting a previous version, I'm not sure what the previous version was unless someone knows what was out around last summer (v28?).

So, is there a way for me to install the previous soundtrack?  I would be very grateful thanks.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 08, 2012, 11:08:44 am »

That is because a large portion of those songs are copyrighted and not supposed to be distributed.  Once soundsense showed up on youtube it started causing problems, the new ones are all open I believe.

Unless there is a legacy version someplace somebody can point you to, you may be out of luck.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 08, 2012, 12:38:00 pm »

Yeah that was my music that I added to the soundpack, not sure if we still have a copy of it laying around. It got removed when I was idle from the project.

i did find this on my personal webspace, which is all the music, but the xml is not a part of it, so you will need to modify the SS xmls yourself, which is pretty easy:

http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/music.zip

re: copyright, the music I used was the most obscure of the obscure black metal covers - I doubt any of these artists would care if their music was used for a non-profit game modification.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:50:56 pm by tyrspawn »
Chris Krause

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 10, 2012, 09:04:00 pm »

I just reinstalled DF Fresh by grabbing the Lazy Newb Pack 9.3, and I ran Soundsense and did the update and restarted but I don't get combat sounds any more. I get music, death sounds, and "You stand up" type sounds, but no flesh ripping and all the fun stuff. Any idea how to resolve this?

My old backup is using r29 which works fine. This version has r32.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:06:37 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 10, 2012, 09:05:52 pm »

I just reinstalled DF Fresh by grabbing the Lazy Newb Pack 9.3, and I ran Soundsense and did the update and restarted but I don't get combat sounds any more. I get music, death sounds, and "You stand up" type sounds, but no flesh ripping and all the fun stuff. Any idea how to resolve this?

Just restart it, it should work. Late stage fortresses with a ton of sparring can cause it to crash/malfunction, that's a current issue right now we are looking into;.
Chris Krause

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 10, 2012, 09:07:06 pm »

Just restart it, it should work. Late stage fortresses with a ton of sparring can cause it to crash/malfunction, that's a current issue right now we are looking into;.

It's been happening for 3 RL days, I just kept forgetting to post about it. As recently as my new embark minutes ago, I had only death sounds and music when the Gators ate my starting force in the first 30 seconds of play. Same issue in the Object Testing Area.

EDIT: Durrrp! I feel dumb. I don't remember ever clicking it (TBH I didn't notice it before) but the area at the top that says "Play" was set on "Messages and Environmental Sounds" instead of "Everything". Heh, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:12:03 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 105