Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571774 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #570 on: January 13, 2012, 11:40:48 pm »

I too missed the previous release's music so I tried to add them back myself in addition to the current music. I edited the seasons.xml to reflect the changes, however, the new songs do not play and I don't see errors reported in the Soundsense log.

For example I changed:
<sound logPattern="(Spring has arrived!)|(Spring has arrived on the calendar\.)" loop="start" channel="music" playbackThreshhold="0">

<soundFile fileName="spring/Willow and the Light.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/Savannah Sketch.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/Not As It Seems.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/Celtic Impulse.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/Achaidh Cheide.mp3" />

<soundFile fileName="399596_Quest___Overworld_Theme_1.mp3" />

<soundFile fileName="Musopen.Com  Arvo Part-Magnificat.mp3" weight="5" />

<soundFile fileName="10s_silence.mp3" weight="200" />
   </sound>

to

<sound logPattern="(Spring has arrived!)|(Spring has arrived on the calendar\.)" loop="start" channel="music" playbackThreshhold="0">

<soundFile fileName="spring/Willow and the Light.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/Savannah Sketch.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/Not As It Seems.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/Celtic Impulse.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/Achaidh Cheide.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/spring1.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/spring2.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/spring3.mp3" />
      <soundFile fileName="spring/spring4.mp3" />

<soundFile fileName="399596_Quest___Overworld_Theme_1.mp3" />

<soundFile fileName="Musopen.Com  Arvo Part-Magnificat.mp3" weight="5" />

<soundFile fileName="10s_silence.mp3" weight="200" />
   </sound>

The additional mp3's are in the same folder as the existing music for each respective season and they will play on manual playback. Not quite sure what I missing now, I tried click reloaded configuration but it didn't seem to help. Any insight would be appreciated as I really miss the old tracks.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:36:11 am by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Hussell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 15, 2012, 01:16:36 pm »

I've been using SoundSense for about two weeks now. Very nice! I particularly like some of the humorous messages someone recorded in a strong Scottish accent. ("I love cats. Mmm, delicious!")

I have some feature requests, though. My normal use-case is to play one fortress at a time, for about an hour every evening. Season transitions happen roughly once every other session. As a result, I rarely get to hear the season-specific background music. I would like for SoundSense to scan the game log on startup, and start the appropriate season and weather loops. (Yes, I miss having the rain sounds when I have to end a session just after it starts raining, and then get a "The weather has cleared." message halfway through my next session and realize I didn't even know it was raining.) This would make most sense as an option in the configuration file, since I'm sure some people bounce around from fortress to fortress and into adventure mode.

I suggest adding Vivaldi's Four Seasons pieces to the appropriate season playlists. You should be able to find free-for-non-comercial-use recordings easily. I should add that I have not yet figured out how to add my own music to the playlists, though I'm working on it. A short template or tutorial somewhere on the wiki or website would be very helpful.

Looking through the sound pack, I noticed a bunch of "[Season] is here" messages that never seem to play. Bug, placeholder for future better recordings, or just a leftover that should be deleted?

The playlists appear to choose a song at random every time, rather than randomizing the playlist, running through it, then randomizing it again. As a result, I've had the same song play 4 times in a row (Catacombs of Valhalla, in case you're wondering), which became annoying. Some sort of mechanism to prevent the same song playing too often would be nice. Even something to prevent one from playing twice in a row would be nice.

Once again, SoundSense is a unique, extremely helpful companion program that does nothing but improve the game. Great work, and I'm looking forward to future improvements!

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 15, 2012, 04:30:17 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, the guy doing the announcements is Rainseeker.
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 16, 2012, 12:48:25 am »

I tried to figure it out myself, not much luck. I checked the wiki but under customization all it really says is that you can do it by editing the xml files. As far as I can tell it looks right. I'll go back to the old version if I must but I'd rather get this figured out, this mod is basically a must have to enjoy this game better but a little customization is always good to suit one's tastes.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 16, 2012, 03:49:26 am »

I'll nag zwei to produce some docu and if he doesn't I will.

I still have all these combat sounds on my hard-drive.. just need to test it for the next release version. Sigh.
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 16, 2012, 06:46:31 am »

Did you try adding weight to make them more likely to be played?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MrAnticce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • My youtube let's play
« Reply #576 on: January 20, 2012, 08:15:12 am »

Thanks for fixing the copyright issue with the non free music scores.
Kevin MacLeod's music is quite nice.
This means i can get back on the horse and have me a nice DF let's play again.

Cheers  8)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #577 on: January 20, 2012, 09:31:33 am »

re: copyright, the music I used was the most obscure of the obscure black metal covers - I doubt any of these artists would care if their music was used for a non-profit game modification.

Problem is that their record labels are and youtube cares too. Shame, but for default pack it is necessary.

I tried to figure it out myself, not much luck. I checked the wiki but under customization all it really says is that you can do it by editing the xml files. As far as I can tell it looks right. I'll go back to the old version if I must but I'd rather get this figured out, this mod is basically a must have to enjoy this game better but a little customization is always good to suit one's tastes.

This is weird. If pack loads correctly, it should just play.

You can try deleting everything else and see if your added music plays.

Also, if you load game, seasonal music will not play correctly till season changes! You might want to take a look at system.xml

Other than that, you can try to edit file logging.properties and change line

.level = INFO

to

.level = FINEST

That will make soundsense output much more infromation that hopefully should help with tracking down issue.

I've been using SoundSense for about two weeks now. Very nice! I particularly like some of the humorous messages someone recorded in a strong Scottish accent. ("I love cats. Mmm, delicious!")

I have some feature requests, though. My normal use-case is to play one fortress at a time, for about an hour every evening. Season transitions happen roughly once every other session. As a result, I rarely get to hear the season-specific background music. I would like for SoundSense to scan the game log on startup, and start the appropriate season and weather loops. (Yes, I miss having the rain sounds when I have to end a session just after it starts raining, and then get a "The weather has cleared." message halfway through my next session and realize I didn't even know it was raining.) This would make most sense as an option in the configuration file, since I'm sure some people bounce around from fortress to fortress and into adventure mode.

I suggest adding Vivaldi's Four Seasons pieces to the appropriate season playlists. You should be able to find free-for-non-comercial-use recordings easily. I should add that I have not yet figured out how to add my own music to the playlists, though I'm working on it. A short template or tutorial somewhere on the wiki or website would be very helpful.

Looking through the sound pack, I noticed a bunch of "[Season] is here" messages that never seem to play. Bug, placeholder for future better recordings, or just a leftover that should be deleted?

The playlists appear to choose a song at random every time, rather than randomizing the playlist, running through it, then randomizing it again. As a result, I've had the same song play 4 times in a row (Catacombs of Valhalla, in case you're wondering), which became annoying. Some sort of mechanism to prevent the same song playing too often would be nice. Even something to prevent one from playing twice in a row would be nice.

Once again, SoundSense is a unique, extremely helpful companion program that does nothing but improve the game. Great work, and I'm looking forward to future improvements!

Back-scanning log file to catch start of seasons or raining was suggested before. You are right that it will cause problems with people playing multiple forts and was dismissed because of that.

Other problem is that for any succesfull fort or longer lasting instalation, log file can grow enormously - parsing 10mb file can take minutes - unless you simply skip all of it, of course. I have some ideas how to make it more feasible, so stay tuned.

I would rather handle it properly and have wishllist for DF to log some state information when loading game, such as:

"It is 15th of Obsidian, year 154."
"Snow storm is raging."

As for playlist for seasons - i would like to keep it down to keep pack size down - it is already well over 100mb which it was supposed to have. I this regard, i am open to replacing specific songs with something else, but not adding new stuff.

Ill look into playlist randomness, guess same song playing 4 times in row is not desirable (at all!).

Seasons anouncements only relate to actual seasons - if you are playing at tropical biome, you do not have summer of autumn but dry season instead... which have no anouncements.

Tutorial for adding stuff - well, let the wiki magic happen!

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 21, 2012, 02:05:27 am »

However, if you added a way for the user to specify which fort they are using each time they start up SS, you could back up logs to the world folders and just switch them out when the user changed worlds.

Way I see it: a world is generated, user specifies this SS and SS creates a new log file. When the User specifies that they are changing worlds or SS is closed, SS will back up the log to the world folder.  When the user specifies to SS that they are loading a world, SS will retrieve that log file and place it in the main directory for DF to use while the world is in use.  As far as large files go, you could just read off the last X number of lines have it give up after that so that loading doesn't take forever.

This would add a little more managing on the user, but might be worth it.

Note: I don't know much about programming and so have no clue how difficult this would be to implement. I'm just throwing an idea out there that you may not have considered.

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 29, 2012, 02:56:01 pm »

HI. im loving this utility. but i got a problem. i can hear everything just fine except battle sounds. it works in adventure mode i think. but in fortress mode i dont hear any of the sounds. any help i can get would be appreciated.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 29, 2012, 03:06:27 pm »

Where it says "play:message and environmental sounds", set that to "everything"

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 29, 2012, 03:30:40 pm »

oh wow. i must have accidentally clicked that. thank you. everything is much better now.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #582 on: January 30, 2012, 08:33:14 pm »

How would I add more background music?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #583 on: February 03, 2012, 04:59:05 am »

How would I add more background music?

I went ahead, sumarized what was said in this thread before and put that to wiki:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:SoundSense#How_to_add_music_to_seasonal_playlist:

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 03, 2012, 10:37:05 pm »

Sweet god, I found a new sound for the start of an embark, or starting the game. http://tindeck.com/listen/iuzo
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 105