Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571796 times)

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #525 on: October 17, 2011, 09:47:19 am »

Thanks. For some reason I didn't think to look there first.

Anyway it turns out that the problem was my backup XML file. I assumed it would only read seasons.xml, not also the seasons-orig.xml I'd saved in the same directory. Oops.

Once I moved the backup file everything was fine.
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #526 on: October 20, 2011, 07:14:29 am »

Anyway it turns out that the problem was my backup XML file. I assumed it would only read seasons.xml, not also the seasons-orig.xml I'd saved in the same directory. Oops.

Now that's worth knowing. I'm in the process of putting together a custom music pack and I'd quite like it to be easy to just slot in without fiddling around with seasons.xml every time new music is added. Would A "seasons-extra.xml" with the new stuff work?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #527 on: October 20, 2011, 07:53:58 am »

Now that's worth knowing. I'm in the process of putting together a custom music pack and I'd quite like it to be easy to just slot in without fiddling around with seasons.xml every time new music is added. Would A "seasons-extra.xml" with the new stuff work?

Yes, last file loaded wins if there are conflicts in sound definitions. Files are loaded by their aplhabetical order (i think).

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #528 on: October 23, 2011, 02:07:48 pm »

Okay, I'm in the process of throwing together a custom sound pack, and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with it but I'm getting a hell of a lot of "file not found" error messages. Here's what the .xml file looks like:

What am I doing wrong?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #529 on: October 24, 2011, 02:17:17 am »

Okay, I'm in the process of throwing together a custom sound pack, and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with it but I'm getting a hell of a lot of "file not found" error messages. Here's what the .xml file looks like:

What am I doing wrong?

I am not sure - are mp3s in same directory as xml? Do the "file not found' files have something in common? Does this happens with all the mp3s or just some?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #530 on: October 25, 2011, 10:03:15 am »

Problem solved while trying to reproduce it; I'd left some file extensions off the end of some of the tracks. Sorry about that.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 30, 2011, 05:58:22 am »

Some tracks are clearly copyrighted. I've gotten several videos "marked" on Youtube for using Soundsense alone.

Killing off sound in youtube videos is unacceptable, so...

Yeah, for next version, music will be replaced with something that will not trigger copyright police, per some research few psts above.
See, this is why you guys are so insanely awesome :D

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 31, 2011, 11:35:34 am »

This pack clearly took lots of time and skill, and even though I found the default sounds to be incredibly annoying to the point of not using this program, I'd still recommend it to any person who wanted sound, and I will for sure tell my soon-to-be-playing friend that Soundsense is the best sound program for DF out there.

Actually, I take that back: default sounds are awesome as an adventurer. :)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 05, 2011, 07:11:20 pm »

Ever since r30, and still with r31, SS has given me a major problem.  After a while it will inevitably stop playing sounds.  This begins with wierd early sound cutoffs, graduating to repeating the same first quarter second of a sound several times.  Eventually it won't play most sounds, then finally none at all.  Once this happens, the 'currently playing' list grows, rapidly, with all the sounds that it had failed to play, as if it was playing them-  and they never dissapear.  After a while, soundsense just crashes.  No error, just closes itself instantly.
Error occurs in WinXP-64, but also on my roomy's XP-32 system and an overseas friends' Win7-32 systems.  The error logs look pretty much identical.

This has made SS very frustratingly unreliable.  Please fix this.

Attached are the error logs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:13:35 pm by janglur »

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #534 on: November 18, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »

I'm no coder, so just to be clear, if I would like to just add my own MP3's as music for the game, all I need to do is add them to the season directory that they most fit and change their filename to (season)#+x where x is the number of songs currently already labeled? E.G. if the default Spring folder has files SeasonSpring1.mp3-SeasonSpring21.mp3 (there are 21 spring songs? How come it seems that I keep hearing the same song over and over again then? Even in other seasons?) then the mp3 I add would just be labeled SeasonSpring22.mp3 and it will automatically work?

Thanks!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #535 on: November 23, 2011, 07:24:37 am »

This has made SS very frustratingly unreliable.  Please fix this.

Thank you, I will look into it.

I'm no coder, so just to be clear, if I would like to just add my own MP3's as music for the game, all I need to do is add them to the season directory that they most fit and change their filename to (season)#+x where x is the number of songs currently already labeled? E.G. if the default Spring folder has files SeasonSpring1.mp3-SeasonSpring21.mp3 (there are 21 spring songs? How come it seems that I keep hearing the same song over and over again then? Even in other seasons?) then the mp3 I add would just be labeled SeasonSpring22.mp3 and it will automatically work?

Thanks!

SeasonSpring1 through SeasonSpring22 are anouncements you hear at start of season. What you want are files directly in seasons directory.

I would, however, suggest editing seasons.xml and adding files to playlist properly.

Romaq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense Suggestions
« Reply #536 on: November 23, 2011, 05:39:45 pm »

1) Could we get a version badge on the GUI window please? Perhaps on the same line as the 'Volume: 0' display at the top, only on the right or something? That way I could very easily tell my current version and see if I'm getting out-of-date. I know it's on the README.TXT, but that's not as convenient as poking the web page and looking at the running app.

2) I see the 'Play: Everything (4)' control button. Would it be possible to put a 'music' toggle in there? Or perhaps a 'Music Volume' controller? I think it is much easier for me to make seasonal playlists on my Windows Media Player and just fiddle with my own pool of music... or perhaps play something entirely different not related to fantasy music at all, than for SoundSense to keep up with it. But I would want to hear everything *else* going on that SoundSense can detect. :) I'm also not clear how updating the sound packs would affect my hacking of the XML to put in my own private selection of music.

These issues may already be addressed in this message thread, but it's some 36 pages now. I did not see reference on the wiki page or in the README.TXT, I may have missed this for looking at it. :( Thank you!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: SoundSense Suggestions
« Reply #537 on: December 03, 2011, 10:49:31 am »

1) It will be in next version

2) You can toogle music by clicking on speaker icon in channel list.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #538 on: December 03, 2011, 03:33:15 pm »

After some time, new version is up: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_32_146.zip

Mostly small fixes done since last release (translation: I don't really remember what is new).

I am still investigating janglurs crash, (did manage to kinda reproduce it, but it did not crash ss, after few minutes it just resumed working)

Also, I modified soundpack a bit to improve adventurer experience, small fixes and replaced music so that it should no longer freak out youtube - it is available via autoupdate download (be carefull if you made your own changes): http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundpack.zip
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:16:41 pm by zwei »

Romaq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 03, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »

Thank you for your reply. I did find where I could turn off the current song playing on the 'play everything' setting, but a change of seasons (or restarting DF) would re-trigger the music. It would take some work, so perhaps it is a longer term issue if you were inclined to do it at all, but on many games for sound controls, there are selections for music, ambiance, voice and effects, each with a volume slider and mute toggle. That may be further than you really wished to go, but that would be a happy end-user control for SS and would be an effective replacement for the current level settings button you have now. :) I won't get told 'no' unless I ask, and you *might* be willing to do something like this later when you get an itch to freshen the interface.

Is there an 'override.xml' or something? I have Enya .mp3's and various other legal fantasy music. It would be grand if I had one config file that I knew would never be over-written, but would override everything else so I can update my sound packs without wondering if my music selection would get clobbered.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 105