Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 105

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 571797 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #540 on: December 04, 2011, 12:58:19 pm »

I have the same issue where muting a song or track would eventually make it come back with a season change.

Zemalf

• Bay Watcher
  • Be excellent to each other
    • View Profile
    • Zemalf's Let's Play Videos and DF Tutorials
« Reply #541 on: December 11, 2011, 02:57:02 pm »

Some tracks are clearly copyrighted. I've gotten several videos "marked" on Youtube for using Soundsense alone.

Killing off sound in youtube videos is unacceptable, so...

Yeah, for next version, music will be replaced with something that will not trigger copyright police, per some research few psts above.

Music that doesn't trigger copyright policy in YouTube is great, but has someone worked on proper attribution / credits file yet?

While free, if license is attribution, the source should/must be named (and it doesn't hurt to attribute everything). Meaning for all the sound effects as well, not just the music.

At least we should have the URLs in a file (they are in XML comments now, aren't they?)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #542 on: December 12, 2011, 03:51:26 pm »

I have the same issue where muting a song or track would eventually make it come back with a season change.

Well, there are two buttons:

"Speaker" which mutes channel and which persists throught season changes. This one is there mainly to mute music
"Red square" which kills current sound and when season changes sound will return thos that channel. This one is there mainly to kill enviromental effects like rain if they fail to end properly

Thank you for your reply. I did find where I could turn off the current song playing on the 'play everything' setting, but a change of seasons (or restarting DF) would re-trigger the music. It would take some work, so perhaps it is a longer term issue if you were inclined to do it at all, but on many games for sound controls, there are selections for music, ambiance, voice and effects, each with a volume slider and mute toggle. That may be further than you really wished to go, but that would be a happy end-user control for SS and would be an effective replacement for the current level settings button you have now. :) I won't get told 'no' unless I ask, and you *might* be willing to do something like this later when you get an itch to freshen the interface.

Is there an 'override.xml' or something? I have Enya .mp3's and various other legal fantasy music. It would be grand if I had one config file that I knew would never be over-written, but would override everything else so I can update my sound packs without wondering if my music selection would get clobbered.

Slider controll for various types of sounds is a bit complicated but possible. Issue is mostly about what clasifies as what.

I am wary of doing this thou because it will not help with fundamental issues that spammy sounds have (being too spammy and in case of combat sparring/beating being indistinguishable from normal combat). You could lower volume, but they will still be bothersome.

As for safe override dirs, i shall see what can be done about that.

Music that doesn't trigger copyright policy in YouTube is great, but has someone worked on proper attribution / credits file yet?

While free, if license is attribution, the source should/must be named (and it doesn't hurt to attribute everything). Meaning for all the sound effects as well, not just the music.

At least we should have the URLs in a file (they are in XML comments now, aren't they?)

Yes, there are comments with urls for pretty much eveything.

Someone started making proper attribution list but abandoned it due to being busy.

I suppose if you are up to it, you can start wiki page with all the attributions.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 12, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »

Yes, there are comments with urls for pretty much eveything.

Someone started making proper attribution list but abandoned it due to being busy.
Could you link me to this partial list? I don't like the new songs in SoundSense, and would like to recover as many of the previous ones as possible. I downloaded Release 29 Build 137, and updated immediately, so i had songs with names like "autumn1, autumn2, summer2, etc". If they're copyrighted and not for free distribution, i'll be happy to pay for them. Some of those songs were incredibly atmospheric and greatly improved the experience for me.

Edit: Nevermind, I've found an old backup with the files still intact. I also have attribution information for many of the songs, which helped me find new music with the same feel to add in. I can't be bothered to write everything up but if anyone else needs information on the songs, pm me and I'll help you out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:47:42 pm by peri609667 »
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 12, 2011, 05:30:19 pm »

I am aware of both the red square and pause buttons, however, both resume playing after some time, irregardless of season.  Usually takes about an hour.  Even occurs if the game is outright paused the entire time.

Romaq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 13, 2011, 08:27:48 am »

Yeah. Separate volume control/ mute-toggle for the channels that make sense to set that way would be a big help. :)

Music
Voice
Ambiance/ Weather?

I verified music re-triggers on any event even when I turn the volume control 'off'' for the music channel using the speaker icon (not the red block button).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:29:43 pm by Romaq »

DuffDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 20, 2011, 07:14:50 am »

It would be really cool if there are some sounds when the dwarfs are digging, like in dungeon keeper, and course that would be very practical because you can hear when they are done(no sound obviously) ^^ Greets

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 30, 2011, 09:32:50 am »

Okay, this should help:

replace CLASSPATH=... line with:

Code: [Select]
CLASSPATH='soundSense.jar:lib/MP3SPI/mp3spi1.9.4.jar:lib/MP3SPI/jl1.0.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jogg-0.0.7.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jorbis-0.0.15.jar:lib/OGGSPI/vorbisspi1.0.3.jar:lib/tritonus_share.jar:lib/autoUpdater.jar:lib/commons-codec-1.4/commons-codec-1.4.jar'
basically, this should do the trick: http://pastebin.com/LAcD3jNk

I forgot to add commons-codec-1.4.jar which is needed for autoupdater to scan local directory.

As for actually playing sounds, uh-oh, no idea here, it looks like it is missing other libraries - stuff that is in MP3SPI and OGGSPI directory.

Beware, I have no access to linux now.

This is an old post, but I wanted to point out that this updated bash file works for me on linux after installing the alsa-oss package (to get aoss).

Could this script replace the existing one in the next Stonesense release?

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 30, 2011, 09:54:23 am »

It would be really cool if there are some sounds when the dwarfs are digging, like in dungeon keeper, and course that would be very practical because you can hear when they are done(no sound obviously) ^^ Greets
That's unfortunately impossible since Soundsense reads the gamelog file and digging doesn't produce a gamelog entry.

Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 30, 2011, 09:15:42 pm »

I just wanted to say thanks for the great app, Soundsense has become an essential part of the Dwarf Fortress experience for me.
It's remarkable how immersive the game can be with proper sound effects.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #550 on: December 30, 2011, 09:24:43 pm »

Yes, soundsense is awesome :)

I would love to include it in something I am making, already have a little launcher that would automaticaly start soundsense when you start dwarf fortress. But the installation, settings and the soundpack (200mb) are a bit too unhandy to just add to a modpack.

I would just add a link and a recommendation to use Soundsense in my mod, if thats ok, except if you have a better idea ;)

Againg, thanks for making this. Many graphic packs are out there, but only one ever went through the trouble of adding sound :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 30, 2011, 09:58:24 pm »

This isn't a graphics pack, though. Its a sounds pack.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 31, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »

Zwei, or someone knowledgable with Java and Vista,

I didn't read thru all the pages here under this topic.  But I'm having a problem getting my Java to run.  I do not have Java in my Installed Programs list, in Control Panel.  I did have a folder for it, but it had no executable.  So I drug it to the recycling bin...  Now I have nothing in the Program Files/Java, nothing at all, not even a Java anymore.  So I go to Java's website and try and download, offline install.   Before I explain the install error.  Its worth mentioning their verifier said its not on this PC.  However, this lame Installer which is putting way too much frivolous marketing adware on my PC, says it is.  *bonkself*  Is it worth all this for zwei's sounds?  Or am I just wasting my time for a few bells and whistles?  Here is what my errors say,

Double click, jre-6u30-windows-i586-s.exe, and this appears...

"This software has already been installed on your computer.  Would you like to reinstall it?  Y or N."
  No, is wrong answer, installer ends.  So, Yes. 
Windows Installer RED Circle with X in it appears, saying...
"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed. Ok." 
  Ok, wrong answer, installer ends.

Any ideas?  Its a 32bit system.  Vista SP2.  Once had an older version of Java on it.  Could of it just been missing the service in services?  Hell, I went and emptied my Recycling Bin, so those old Java files are now gone.  I don't know what to do.  Java website is miserably awful with support.  And Microsoft wants me to pay a techie to apologize to me.

Sincerely,
Knutor

Ps. Happy New Year!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 31, 2011, 06:35:02 pm »

Okay, I found some Java files and folders in the UserAPP sub folders, so I deleted those, the whole Sun subfolder is now off the C drive, completely.  I figured with nothing showing up as Java, I'd reboot and try this offline install file over again.  No luck, this miserable piece of shit, keeps telling me its on here. 

Must be in the registry, its nowhere else, lord I hate editing that.  So please, does anyone have any ideas, or tricks up their sleeves, before I ruin my PC in that Registry, then I will really need to pay for tech support.  Nothing shows up in Windows Explorer search field, if I search for the word Java, yet this Java installer says its on here, and then Windows shitcans the reinstaller!

Java's self support is very vague.  Hell some of their answers were to supply a report.. that's not an answer, that research, and they can do that themselves.  I tried advanced installing it to a different folder, I slipped the word Sun in there, to force a new registry entry.  No go, same result.  Its on here, it says.  If I try a reinstall, Windows chimes in and says ya can't reinstall something that isn't there, msg is above. 

Tempted to try removing Windows Updates that refer to it and then reapplying them, next.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 31, 2011, 07:17:32 pm »

Okay, I found some java files, they keep appearing on their own...  This is strange.  Its a cab, so I opened it, but didn't register it, so now I think I goofed.  Crap.  Cabs have a special zipper don't they?  PeaZip won't cut it.  I forget my tech support training.  Well, I have this piece of shit Java folder now on my desktop, fully loaded with files and a java.exe so I wrote the path into the soundsense.cmd, just like your guide said.  Guess what?

I"m still SOL.  System doesn't recognize java in cmd, as a system command.  I'm giving up for tonight, this is just too cumbersome to do.

Sincerely,
Knutor
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 105