Siren-ish with limited space age
- 1 (20%)
Krigg-ish with limited space age
- 1 (20%)
Other?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42

Author Topic: Planetfall: Sci-Fi strategy. The resurrection.  (Read 33592 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetfall: Sci-Fi strategy. Turn 7.
« Reply #510 on: August 29, 2010, 12:02:37 am »

Yes and now that I have Weapons 4, it costs less...
You don't have Weapons 4. And you can't downgrade anyway, so it's a moot point.
He will soon. Check his turn submission.
Could you make sure I didn't stuff up the Upgrades Airnode please. He now has 6Cps to allow him to have a Patrol Drone Dock and refuel...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 29, 2010, 12:07:10 am »

Damn it. Okay, so it takes me two turns to raze cities and running away is not possible if there's a gnat in the way and you don't specifically order your units to let the gnat shoot at you. I wish you'd warn me of these things, Nirur, I really do.

Okay. On with the show.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 29, 2010, 12:11:39 am »

Produce Unit Airnode 0/2/0/6+6C - 22IP

Weapons 2 > 3 > 4
Armor 3
Shields 0
Engines 3

Size Limits 4
Colony Limits 3 > 4
Industry 3

Points breakdown:
2 from armor
3 from engines
6\3 from cargo.
Limit is 8.

(11)(8)/8 = 11

22 IP is correct.

I only just now realized that the text box for posting is re-sizeable. I mean, sure, I accidentally re-sized it slightly a few times, but it never really clicked.

I wish you'd warn me of these things, Nirur, I really do.
I'm sorry. I tend not to read turns beforehand.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 29, 2010, 12:14:21 am »

How can I make the cost of my Planes cheaper??? I want to build a Civ that is mainly Air units, and its really expensive to do so, I remember that there was something called, Sizelimit (Air) in the OP, whats that mean???
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 29, 2010, 12:15:33 am »

Uh. What does this mean?
Produce Unit - Netherturrets - 4/1/0/0 - (2+2+1)*(2+2+1)/4 = 7 - Downgrade to 2/1/0/0 Pending = 3IP

Damn it. Okay, so it takes me two turns to raze cities and running away is not possible if there's a gnat in the way and you don't specifically order your units to let the gnat shoot at you. I wish you'd warn me of these things, Nirur, I really do.
It's in the rules... if you don't read the rules, it's not really Nirur's fault. Though, I guess he could tell you if you did an illegal move... still, Marching Under Fire is in the rules, and that move was legal. And as for razing, well, if he did tell you that that was illegal, would it have changed anything? You had 4 IP, it were going to get captured whether or not Nirur told you.

How can I make the cost of my Planes cheaper??? I want to build a Civ that is mainly Air units, and its really expensive to do so, I remember that there was something called, Sizelimit (Air) in the OP, whats that mean???
That doesn't apply any more. There was a rule change.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:22:51 am by Cheddarius »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 29, 2010, 12:22:11 am »

For simplicity, all size limit techs were merged into one tech.
Air units are highly mobile, and can evade attacks, so I can't justify making them as cheap as normal units. They're powerful in their own right, but you'll probably want to coordinate with a trusted ally if you want to focus on aircraft.

Comparison, with all level 2 technologies:
Land - 2/2/0/2 OR 3/2/0/1 - 8 IP
Bomber - 2/1/0/2 - 8 IP

Now, if I gave bombers the same IP costs as land units, and using level 3 technologies:
Land - 3/3/0/3 OR 4/4/0/1 - 12 IP
Bomber - 3/1/0/4 - 6 IP

Uh. What does this mean?
Produce Unit - Netherturrets - 4/1/0/0 - (2+2+1)*(2+2+1)/4 = 7 - Downgrade to 2/1/0/0 Pending = 3IP
It was a slightly confusing note for me for a backup plan, in case the first one was invalid.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 29, 2010, 12:24:03 am »

Uh. What does this mean?
That included extra in another section, it meant that if my maths was wrong it would be the 2/1/0/0

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 29, 2010, 12:25:00 am »

Ah.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 29, 2010, 03:24:44 am »

For a moment there I thought Knight and Wimdit would team up against me. But, thankfully, my plans went through. All is well with the world.
Your treason came early, but not unexpected.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 29, 2010, 03:32:00 am »

Yes, it's clear that betrayal is inevitable unless we all just sit here doing nothing... which I probably will do for a few turns. Colony Limits research is just too expensive now. Space, here I come!

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 29, 2010, 04:26:07 am »

It's in the rules... if you don't read the rules, it's not really Nirur's fault. Though, I guess he could tell you if you did an illegal move... still, Marching Under Fire is in the rules, and that move was legal. And as for razing, well, if he did tell you that that was illegal, would it have changed anything? You had 4 IP, it were going to get captured whether or not Nirur told you.

They may be in the rules, but it's hard to see one passage among dozens, and neither of the relevant rules are particularly intuitive in this situation. I've read the rules in full a couple of times and skimmed them a few more looking for other things, but it's really too much to take in at once. It's true I couldn't have razed the cities, but it doesn't change the fact that it would have been nice to know. Also I didn't know my entire column of Bricks could be stopped by one unit, when you'd think they could just get rid of it as they moved. There's a point where the 'it's in the rules' argument no longer works, and though we aren't at it by any stretch of the imagination, mishaps like this are occurring with some frequency.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 29, 2010, 04:53:24 am »

It may not be intuitive, or realistic, but what else would the cutoff point be? I had to have it somewhere, and I figured it to be the easiest way is to preserve my Movement Phase > Combat Phase setup. This way prevents me from having to figure out what a 10% strength force is, or 20% strength, or what have you.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 29, 2010, 05:00:43 am »

I'm not faulting you, Nirur. The system works fine, it's just that learning it is being a bit traumatic for me. I was only justifying myself to Cheddar.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 29, 2010, 06:37:07 am »

How did the battle at F4 proceed? I would have expected my Bomber to have run out of ammunition and- oh, right, I guess it wouldn't get around to retreating until the third battle, in which the enemy could fight back, and it was giving all its luck to the fighter, and if unrest prevents a city from refuelling then it would have crashed anyway...

The research tables have been updated. They now line up nicely.
* RAM Dances naked in the streets to celebrate a rules-page update.

RAM, I am offering the use of my Patrol Drones for defense and/or Counter attack for City I17, I ask for the possibility of trading Industry 4 for my Weapons Research (4)...
I agree to the trade. I should be able to handle defence, but any trouble you want to cause to any of our vile enemies would be welcome.
I guess that I am willing to let your Patrol Drone units refuel in my cities.
 Standing orders: RAM's units are not to fire upon Nevyn's Patrol Drones unless the Patrol Drones have already started hostilities. Patrol Drones are to be granted clearance to land in RAM's cities, and will be refuelled.

Can one-time techs be traded?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:23:14 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 29, 2010, 01:17:20 pm »

If you make an illegal move, it is sweet and right, possibly even required, for the GM to tell you, so that you can change your move. However, if he does not, and especially in this case, when it does not matter, I do not think you should blame him... it seems to me as though you were blaming him. Have I misinterpreted your posts?
Wait what? You're telling me I can't blow up my own cities? That would have been nice to know earlier.

As for the Bricks. If your plan had hinged on some illegal move, say, teleportation, then Nirur would have been under great pressure to say, "Ah, this can't happen; I should warn him of this, so he can redo his plans". However, your move seemed legal. Nirur may not have realized that you wanted to march under fire; he may have thought that you wanted to attack that plane, or that you thought that Knight's plane was going to attack your southern city and thus not intercept you, etc. There are many reasons why you could have wanted to do what you did; it's not like you were attacking a fortified city with a colonist or something.
Keep in mind that turns already take four hours; Nirur cannot be expected to inspect every move and try to discern what the player is trying to do. I say, if the move is legal and doesn't look bizarre, take it at face value.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:18:54 pm by Cheddarius »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42