Siren-ish with limited space age
- 1 (20%)
Krigg-ish with limited space age
- 1 (20%)
Other?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42

Author Topic: Planetfall: Sci-Fi strategy. The resurrection.  (Read 33587 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetfall: Sci-Fi strategy.
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2010, 06:42:28 am »

I've added in a poll for the simplification of technology. Under the current system, we have:
Weapons theory,
Weapons for land units,
Weapons for sea units,
Weapons for air units,
And weapons for space units.

The game is already complicated. If it's wanted, I can condense all related technologies. In this example, those five would all merge to become Weapons. This would, overall, make advancing roughly 200%-300% faster. To counteract this, I could increase technology costs by a factor of 2 or 3, or I could just let it go and have everybody advance more quickly.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2010, 10:21:58 am »

Other Yes - I feel partial towards the method used in the sample game, that is, some technologies are split, others aren't.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2010, 12:04:04 pm »

Weapons theory,
Weapons for land units,
Weapons for sea units,
Weapons for air units,
And weapons for space units.
Wait, what? The rules say there are only weapons and armor...
But I think yes. Adds strategy. Makes the game more complex, makes you really think.

Wait, why the heck isn't there a "No" option?

Haha, let me tell you guys an unrelated story. I was playing this game, Brotherhood of Battle (great gameplay, horrendous community - half of them disconnect as soon as they start losing, the other half swears at you constantly - I am not joking here, see for yourself). I was playing this guy, smashing him to pieces. I had gotten all the Treasury upgrades and was controlling all the mines on the map (a large one), which meant that I was making vast quantities of money. He told me "my friends call me a strattigic genius" many, many times. He hinted toward having tons of rogues, which I knew he did not have the money for. I pointed out that even if he had four, five rogues at my base, I had enough money to buy even more troops to kill them. He said, at one point, "your base is undefended". I knew, again, that he was bluffing, not having any money for troops, and there was no way he could know this so I counter-bluffed. It was undefended, but I said "I have three rogues there". The response: "crap." It was pretty funny if you were there. Not as funny in text, I guess.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2010, 01:00:04 pm »

I changed the rules, to make all unit techs split.

I do not know where the "no" option had gone. Poll reset.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2010, 01:04:35 pm »

Where? I can't see it in the rules, and I can't find any mention of it in the thread besides the one just now in reply #60...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2010, 01:21:39 pm »

I listed all technologies and their costs in posts #2.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2010, 02:00:43 pm »

Oh, I see. I was looking at technologies in post #1.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:58:53 pm by Cheddarius »

Jesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2010, 02:29:36 pm »

Okay, I'm having trouble just understanding this game.  I can't figure this out, I'm just going to drop out. 
~Jesse

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »

There's a very large bank of playing for you to peruse and get a feel for the game. Nirur Torir and I are more than willing to help.
Any questions will be answered.

-Please to be seeing this thread for the example game, yes? Please to be asking Nirur Torir or Cheddarius if has questions?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2010, 04:16:12 pm »

"Logic is a dangerous word. As much as we shall strive for logic, the term is constantly misused, commonly by attempts to remove emotion and individuality from human nature. Rest assured, true logic as used in our new world will not fall into these traps." - Ander Samuels

"Samuels likes to claim to have logic on his side, so much that he rejects the idea of naming his faction, as surely it is the only viable one. So I say that we give it the name it deserves - the Steel Collective. For with all his talk of marrying logic, emotion, and individuality, all he seeks is to capture humanity in steel caskets, where everyone can dream the dream he, Samuels, wants to dream. He will overwrite you with himself." - The Steel Renegade

"Interfacing Human and Machine is hardly new or threatening. It has been done on our old home for years. All we are aiming for is to make that interface more direct. Of course, care does need to be taken to make sure that subversive elements do not misuse this development, but that applies to all new technology. You don't let just anyone fly a plane or even spaceship, and you don't put sensitive data onto a public network, after all. The sensationalist threat of someone overwriting your brain? Certainly, if this technology becomes developed enough, and if we understand the workings of the human brain enough, that might happen. But don't be alarmed - both of these events are far in the future, and if we understand the human brain well enough to overwrite the brain without utterly dissapiencing it, then we understand it enough to make backup copies as well."
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2010, 05:17:13 pm »

Okay, I'm having trouble just understanding this game.  I can't figure this out, I'm just going to drop out.
I understand wanting to drop out if you thought it would be something else, but it should be fairly easy once you know the rules. What are you having trouble understanding? I could make a basic, illustrated tutorial if it would help, but I'd need to know what it needs to include.

Five of eight turns have been sent in. If Jesse drops out, I'll wait for a replacement before getting the next turn up.

Jesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2010, 07:17:12 pm »

I understand wanting to drop out if you thought it would be something else, but it should be fairly easy once you know the rules. What are you having trouble understanding? I could make a basic, illustrated tutorial if it would help, but I'd need to know what it needs to include.

Five of eight turns have been sent in. If Jesse drops out, I'll wait for a replacement before getting the next turn up.

I'll give it a shot.  I reread the rules over a few times, and I think I'm starting to figure this out. 

So from the surrounding hexes, I get 4 Industry and 3 Research, correct?  I can't use the sea hexes until I get the one upgrade.  Now building units... this is were it gets really confusing for me.  I just don't understand this part at all.  How do I do this, what is with the points, what does tech do, and how do I know how much Industry each unit will cost?  I think that once I have that down, I can get the rest of this easily.  Even after reading the example game, I just don't get that part of it. 

~Jesse

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2010, 07:50:46 pm »

Sea hexes, I believe, give 1 research, even if you don't have the upgrade. If you get Naval Mines, they give one research and one industry.

SIZE
You make units with industry. Now, units have a "size". This is how many "points" they have. Usually, each point of a stat - armor, attack, shields, etc. - is worth one point of size. Engines are a little different. Engines for naval units, sea and space, are 1 point. Engines for air units are only 0.5 points. And engines for land units are 2 points. So, a 1/1/0/1 land tank (attack/armor/shields/engines) has 1+1+2 size points and a point value of 4.

STAT TECHS
However, there's a "soft cap" on how big you can make your stats. This is determined by your stat techs - weapons, engines, etc. Suppose I have Land Weapons 4. Then, 1 weapon point on a tank will cost 1 size point, 2 will cost 2, and so on, up to 4. So, a tank with 4/1/0/1 costs 4+1+2=7 points. Now, suppose I go one step farther, and have a tank with 5 weapon points. That extra weapon point will cost 2 size points, not just one. So 5/1/0/1 costs 9 points, 6/1/0/1 costs 11, and so on. This is true up to twice my Land Weapons technology, which is 8. So 8/1/0/1 costs (4*1+4*2)+1+2=15 points. When I try to go farther, the extra points now cost three points each - so 8/1/0/1 costs 18 points - this is true up to 3 times my land weapons technology, or 12. And so on.

SIZE TECHS
Normally, each point costs 1 industry. So my 1/1/0/1 land tank is 4 points large, and 4 industry to produce. Carrying capacity points are different. They cost one point each but only half an industry. So assuming I have the proper techs, a 1/1/0/1 land tank with 4 carrying capacity would be 1+1+2+4 = 8 points, but only 1+1+2+(4*0.5) = 6 industry.
There is also a "soft cap" on size. For each point of size tech you have for a type of unit (e.g. Land Size for land units), you will have four points where everything will be normal. If I have Land Size 3, and I build a 12 point unit (no carrying capacity), it will cost 12 industry. Now suppose I try to rise above my proper station and build a 13 point unit with only Land Size 3, which allows 3*4=12 points of normality. I have broken my "soft cap". The industry cost now is (POINTS USED)^(POINTS USED/SOFT CAP). My soft cap is 12, as we have established, and I have used 13 points. So the industry cost is 13 to the power of 13/12, or about 16. A 14 point unit would cost 14^(14/12), or 22 points. As you can see, breaching your soft cap comes at a steep price. It may sometimes be worth it, though.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2010, 08:07:10 pm »

Sea hexes provide one research until you research the tech that gives them +1 industry.

Each stat for a unit (Weapons/Armor/Shields/Engines) has a related technology. The level of technology gives the "soft-cap" of that stat.
(Going over this "soft-cap" doubles the point cost. Once you reach 2x the "soft-cap," it begins tripling the cost. The pattern continues.)

Size Limits technology gives you your maximum point value to spend on each unit. For land units, this is 4x the tech level. Right now, it's 4. You -can- go over, but the current calculation makes that virtually worthless.
The amount of points used is the industry cost.

The land units that can be built with level 1 tech are as follows:
1/1/0/1 (Engines cost double for land units, remember)
1/2/0/0 (Cannot move without a carrier)
2/1/0/0 (Cannot move without a carrier)
1/1/0/0 (Cannot move without a carrier)

The first three cost 4 industry each. The 1/1/0/0 unit only has an industry cost of 2.

Fake-edit: Ninjaed, but I'm posting anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42