Siren-ish with limited space age
- 1 (20%)
Krigg-ish with limited space age
- 1 (20%)
Other?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42

Author Topic: Planetfall: Sci-Fi strategy. The resurrection.  (Read 33585 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetfall: Sci-Fi strategy.
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2010, 08:17:15 pm »

Yours is a lot shorter. Jesse should probably read yours first, then mine for clarification.

Jesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2010, 10:43:44 pm »

Okay, I'm starting to figure this out.  Thanks for the help guys.  Now for carriers, can each point hold any type of unit?  Would my 5 unit carrier unit be able to hold a land unit, an air unit, a sea unit, etc?  Anyways, now for my turn.

Spoiler: My Turn (click to show/hide)

This all correct? 

~Jesse

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2010, 12:27:53 am »

Yes, they can hold any type. And a unit with 5 points of carrier would be able to carry a unit with a size of 5 points, or one with a size of 3 points and one with 2, etc.

Generally, you don't give each unit a unique name, because you end up having tons and tons of units. You just make one type, like the P7 Provolone, and then make a bunch of them. But it's your choice.

Cargo space isn't free - otherwise, you could just make transports with a billion cargo space and carry anything you wanted. Each point of cargo space is one size point and .5 industry. So The Alexander is 1+1+2+2=6 points, and the industry cost is (industry)^(size/sizecap)=(5)^(6/4)=11 industry.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2010, 12:50:55 am »

*lurks*
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2010, 01:08:12 am »

You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Jesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2010, 07:32:58 am »

Yes, they can hold any type. And a unit with 5 points of carrier would be able to carry a unit with a size of 5 points, or one with a size of 3 points and one with 2, etc.

Generally, you don't give each unit a unique name, because you end up having tons and tons of units. You just make one type, like the P7 Provolone, and then make a bunch of them. But it's your choice.

Cargo space isn't free - otherwise, you could just make transports with a billion cargo space and carry anything you wanted. Each point of cargo space is one size point and .5 industry. So The Alexander is 1+1+2+2=6 points, and the industry cost is (industry)^(size/sizecap)=(5)^(6/4)=11 industry.

Oh wow, I'm going to have to redo my turn then.  I'm pretty sure that my ship is only 5 points though, because engines on a sea naval unit are only 1 point, not 2. 
~Jesse

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2010, 07:50:48 am »

1 - Please include the unit type in (parenthesis). It reduces confusion.
2 - Sea units have 8x points to spend, as opposed to the 4x of land units.
3 - You may use technology on the turn you get it.
4 - That unit is a proper sea unit, but what Cheddarius said would hold true if it was a land unit.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2010, 12:21:43 pm »

Ah, I thought it was a land unit. I think you're supposed to label units like The Alexander (sea) so people can tell the difference, like Nirur said.
In any case, here's the calculation: 1 attack + 1 armor + 1 engines + 2 carrying capacity = 5 points = 4 industry. Pretty simple. But what's the point of 2 carrying capacity? You can't put anything on that. Maybe a missile, but you don't need missiles yet, and certainly not missiles as weak as 2 or 1 carrying capacity. Here are some uses for carrying capacity:
1. Transporting missiles.
2. Transporting aircraft, which need to be refueled every other turn.
3. Transporting a slow, heavy unit very quickly. Expensive.
4. Being awesome, e.g. in the example game when I built two massive Ragusano Island Fortress aircraft carriers to launch three bombers each, which then flew over the target city and dropped battleships on it. Ah, yes, what a day that was.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:31:29 pm by Cheddarius »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2010, 12:49:23 pm »

1/0/0/0 missiles are possible, for a cost of 2 industry each.

Regarding the transport of particularly large units, land or air units only may be "broken up" and transported in multiple transports, but they'll suffer a decrease in their maximum armor. This is repairable by paying industry to refit them. (Instead of being able to drag damaged tanks and equipment off of the battlefield, new ones must be manufactured.)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 01:06:59 pm »

Yeah, but hardly anybody would ever use 1/0/0/0 missiles, seriously. They are only applicable in certain extremely specific situations, not this one.

Where are the rules/mechanics for breaking up?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2010, 01:33:57 pm »

(1/0/0/0 missiles are only possible for use just before or just after combat, against units in the same hex.)

Breaking up units for transport: Multiple transports will essentially merge their transport capacity. They MUST remain in the same hex, and unload at the same time. The armor penalty for a sinking transport will be based on how much of the unit is being carried by that transport. At least one point of armor must go to each transport (So a 5/1/0/1 unit must be on one transport, and one transport only.)

You do not get to choose how much of each unit is on each transport. The unit must unload before switching transports.

Jesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2010, 02:13:33 pm »

Spoiler: Turn (click to show/hide)

All good? 
~Jesse

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2010, 03:14:37 pm »

That's fine.

Attention: Due to popular demand, I'm simplifying the research system, grouping all related technologies. No changes are needed to the turns that have already been submitted.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2010, 03:39:14 pm »

I'm gonna drop out guys, I just can't do this-Very sorry.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2010, 08:04:14 pm »

If you're sure, then I'll open your slot up to replacement by one of the spectators. I'll let the replacement choose from either taking your slot, as it is now, or getting a city cite picked by Random.org and potentially moved by me if I don't like it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42