Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2948 2949 [2950] 2951 2952 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700562 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Poouroboros Edition
« Reply #44235 on: October 08, 2014, 02:01:21 pm »

With the discussion on math, I think this year is going to be very boring in that department. As far as I can see, the chapter on trigonometry is going to be very boring and not involve other areas of math at all. Last year was pretty good in that regard, with some pretty hard excercises that I sort of even enjoyed.
What are you going to do on trigonometry ? And what else do you do this year ?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44236 on: October 08, 2014, 02:06:36 pm »

Strangest feeling of deja vu right now. No idea why, but it feels... ominous.
Discovered what this was a prelude to. Not quite what I expected, but at least I can't say I didn't see it coming.

Remember that complaint from that girl, the one I've been railing on about for months? I was talking a teacher whom I had asked to look into the situation, and he actually admitted that the reason the college acted the way it did towards me was because I'm a guy and she's a girl, and implied that not only that it's school policy to handle complaints for that way for that reason, but he implied that the school didn't actually care if the accusations had any basis on fact or not for the same reason. That takes the school's actions pretty much from "legally questionable" to "federal offense".

Even more, based on what he told me, what little the school had told me of what I was accused of may have been a total lie. Before, I've was able to extrapolate that she accused me of giving her unwanted and inappropriate gifts, which is bullshit since nothing I ever gave her was inappropriate and certainly not unwanted when everything was received with a smile, a thank-you, and had previsly been told it was okay(by her) to give to her. Now, it seems that she accused me of repeated unwanted romantic advances after multiple times saying to stop. Again, total bullshit since neither one of those ever happened. In fact, just days before making the accusations, I had asked her if I was bothering her, to which she said no.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44237 on: October 08, 2014, 02:10:13 pm »

With the discussion on math, I think this year is going to be very boring in that department. As far as I can see, the chapter on trigonometry is going to be very boring and not involve other areas of math at all. Last year was pretty good in that regard, with some pretty hard excercises that I sort of even enjoyed.
What are you going to do on trigonometry ? And what else do you do this year ?
Last year we learned basic trigonometry in triangles with 90 degree corners, this year is more general. No idea what else we're going to do. It's on a paper somewhere, but I don't feel like looking it up right now. The book is self-made too, which isn't always bad but in this case is. (Although we did real functions in last chapter and are going to do second-grade functions sometime too)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

blazing glory

« Reply #44238 on: October 08, 2014, 03:24:27 pm »

For some reason the thing at the top of Google Chrome (overlay? Too lazy to look it up.) has suddenly expanded one or two sizes, making everything too large, it's not zoom, I don't know what it is and searching on Google just get's me some Google Earth rubbish.

Stupid web-browser.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #44239 on: October 08, 2014, 04:15:06 pm »

For some reason the thing at the top of Google Chrome (overlay? Too lazy to look it up.) has suddenly expanded one or two sizes, making everything too large, it's not zoom, I don't know what it is and searching on Google just get's me some Google Earth rubbish.

Stupid web-browser.

Speaking of Chrome, I realized why does Chrome hog memory after not closing a tab for a long time, and why it seems far more common for my GD and Other Games tabs.

...it's storing all the previous pages so that I can use the back function, but over time the history piles up so much that it's starting to use up absurd amounts of memory.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #44240 on: October 08, 2014, 05:11:16 pm »

On the subject of math RAEG, my Math 1730 teacher is nuts. 1730 is the precalculus class, essentially Maths 1710 and 1720 slapped together. And he expected us, on the first quiz with effectively no instruction, to do derivative quotient problems. He's also exaggerating difficulty and skipping concepts because he doesn't like them. Case in point - we're doing imaginary and complex numbers... as part of polynomials (and not trinomials, no. Tetra- and penta-nomials, here), which we're doing with long division instead of synthetic. What's wrong with doing them separately, and using synthetic?

But yeah, just from the first part, my adviser thinks he's nuts. As does my roommate who's in Calculus. My adviser actually suggested that if (when) I go beyond the point of no return of failing the class, I withdraw, take the COMPASS test, and get into Calc 1.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44241 on: October 08, 2014, 05:18:08 pm »

On the subject of math RAEG, my Math 1730 teacher is nuts. 1730 is the precalculus class, essentially Maths 1710 and 1720 slapped together. And he expected us, on the first quiz with effectively no instruction, to do derivative quotient problems. He's also exaggerating difficulty and skipping concepts because he doesn't like them. Case in point - we're doing imaginary and complex numbers... as part of polynomials (and not trinomials, no. Tetra- and penta-nomials, here), which we're doing with long division instead of synthetic. What's wrong with doing them separately, and using synthetic?

But yeah, just from the first part, my adviser thinks he's nuts. As does my roommate who's in Calculus. My adviser actually suggested that if (when) I go beyond the point of no return of failing the class, I withdraw, take the COMPASS test, and get into Calc 1.
The fuck?  I did excellent in high school pre-calc last year and I have no idea what derivative quotient problems are.  But yet you are expected know what people in that course won't even normally know, let alone people who are just taking it?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44242 on: October 08, 2014, 05:21:19 pm »

Resume writing.

I do not understand why this is even a thing. What's wrong with just walking up to the owner/manager of a business and going "Sup, I want a job"? Why do you need a piece of paper with a bunch of wanky meaningless bullshit typed on it? Why can't said piece of paper be handwritten on a scrap piece of paper? Why do even employers who recruit online insist on the same stupid format, rather than having a simple web form for the details of potential employees?

And, perhaps most annoyingly: if I do have to put up with this resume bullshit, why is it so hard to find an example of acceptable ones?!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44243 on: October 08, 2014, 05:26:13 pm »

Writing a 1800 word social commentary essay on capital punishment for my English 101 class.  I could of been programming for an algorithmic computing class instead, which was the entire reason I wanted to do dual enrollment.  But noooooooo, I have to take this stupid fucking class instead, despite the fact that it will only count as an elective in half the colleges I want to go to.

Resume writing.

I do not understand why this is even a thing. What's wrong with just walking up to the owner/manager of a business and going "Sup, I want a job"? Why do you need a piece of paper with a bunch of wanky meaningless bullshit typed on it? Why can't said piece of paper be handwritten on a scrap piece of paper? Why do even employers who recruit online insist on the same stupid format, rather than having a simple web form for the details of potential employees?

And, perhaps most annoyingly: if I do have to put up with this resume bullshit, why is it so hard to find an example of acceptable ones?!
I'm having to do the same thing for colleges right now.  Everyone online has different advice for resumes "Do A" "Do B" "Do A/B" "Do B, not A, but also do C"
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44244 on: October 08, 2014, 05:31:43 pm »

On the first point: Because it weeds out the really lazy assholes with zero effort from the management.
On the second: See above.
On the third: See above.
On the fourth: Because people generally suck at writing resumes.

I know several people who have spent decades working in human resources, and what I've gleaned is this: resumes exist to remove a large majority of applicants from consideration with minimal effort. Your resume has grammatical/spelling errors? Reject. It's missing vital information? Reject. It uses a non-standard font? Reject. It was printed on colored paper? Reject. It was written in a conversational tone somehow? Reject. It suggests defects in the applicant's history or character? Reject. Etc. forever.

The bottom line is that the people responsible for hiring don't want to wade through hundreds of resumes to fill a single position, so they will take any and every excuse to trash one. Presenting a well-written, thoroughly documented resume is part and parcel with things like showing up to an interview in appropriate attire and addressing the interviewer respectfully without being overly detached, showing enthusiasm for the position even if you don't care about it, &c.

Your job when applying for jobs and graduate programs is to convince the hiring staff that you're qualified (but not overqualified), responsible, reasonably intelligent and capable, and willing to at least pay lip service to workplace enthusiasm and professional respect.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44245 on: October 08, 2014, 05:37:06 pm »

A good resume is a prerequisite to lying directly to a potential employer's face.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #44246 on: October 08, 2014, 05:50:27 pm »

A good resume is a prerequisite to lying directly to a potential employer's face.
Pretty much this. I hate writing CVs because it's pretty much just institutionalised lying. And whoever is the best liar gets the job.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44247 on: October 08, 2014, 05:51:18 pm »

Is it lying? Seems more like salesmanship really.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44248 on: October 08, 2014, 05:52:31 pm »

stuff
So... employers are generally lazy assholes. I guess that partly explains it.

I wonder if there's a single position you can be in where you're over AND underqualified for every job.

Also, I know someone who was like you, Yoink. He worked in a factory most of his life, and back when he applied for that it was 'Hi, I need a job.' 'When can you start?' 'Now' 'OK, see you tomorrow!'

He was confused and annoyed when he left that job and had to do a CV and everything.
Maybe I'll try and find a factory job. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #44249 on: October 08, 2014, 05:57:18 pm »

Is it lying? Seems more like salesmanship really.
Well, they're certainly not mutually exclusive.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 2948 2949 [2950] 2951 2952 ... 3345