Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2949 2950 [2951] 2952 2953 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3700130 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Poouroboros Edition
« Reply #44250 on: October 08, 2014, 05:58:32 pm »

Is it lying? Seems more like salesmanship really.
Just because marketing has fancy words ("puffing", for instance) for lying out your ass does not mean you aren't lying out your ass.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44251 on: October 08, 2014, 06:00:54 pm »

Just because marketing has fancy words ("puffing", for instance) for lying out your ass does not mean you aren't lying out your ass.
I don't know, it's pretty hard to sell shit as gold and sell gold as shit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44252 on: October 08, 2014, 06:01:56 pm »

Are you kidding? Have you seen the market prices on catshit coffee and diamonds?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44253 on: October 08, 2014, 06:09:49 pm »

Oh, and now my parents won't let me go to the robotics meeting tomorrow, despite the fact that I ALSO haven't been able to make the last three meetings.  Why?  Because I need to study for the SAT this weekend (Which, by the way, also means I'm going to miss the meeting taking place THEN).  HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO STUDY FOR IT? I've already taken it, and I already know the rules for it, so I can't study those.  I know everything that the math and English sections cover, so I can't study that.  I can't really study things like Latin roots, since I'm not going to learn more in a few hours of studying then I would of when I took an entire COURSE IN THE SUBJECT.  I'm pretty sure that I'm a bit more knowledgable then I was a year and a half ago when I last took the test, and I literally only need to raise it by TEN points.  Pure CHANCE and the fact that I won't have a migraine like I did last time is enough to raise my score by ten points.  And why the fuck can't I do my studying in town while I wait for robotics? Oh, stop arguing with you?  I'm not arguing.  I'm pointing out the fucking flaws in your reasoning because you are so concerned over TEN FUCKING POINTS. And just the other day they were talking about how I was being irresponsible for missing the robotics meeting on Tuesday. Unlike with what you were forcing me to do today, I was able to send a message informing them that I wouldn't be there.  And they are also asking why it is ok for me to miss last Saturday but not this Thursday.  Well one, several other people were absent for the exact reason I was, and I was able to inform them.  I also need to go this Thursday to tell them that I won't be able to make it on Saturday.  Oh, why didn't I tell them that last Thursday?  BECAUSE I WASN'T EXPECTING YOU TO MAKE ME MISS THIS MEETING.

Oh, and now the rage is making it hard for me to concentrate on the essay I have due tomorrow.  Its not like I already have enough problems concentrating on it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:11:35 pm by Lightningfalcon »
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #44254 on: October 08, 2014, 06:15:11 pm »

On the subject of math RAEG, my Math 1730 teacher is nuts. 1730 is the precalculus class, essentially Maths 1710 and 1720 slapped together. And he expected us, on the first quiz with effectively no instruction, to do derivative quotient problems. He's also exaggerating difficulty and skipping concepts because he doesn't like them. Case in point - we're doing imaginary and complex numbers... as part of polynomials (and not trinomials, no. Tetra- and penta-nomials, here), which we're doing with long division instead of synthetic. What's wrong with doing them separately, and using synthetic?

But yeah, just from the first part, my adviser thinks he's nuts. As does my roommate who's in Calculus. My adviser actually suggested that if (when) I go beyond the point of no return of failing the class, I withdraw, take the COMPASS test, and get into Calc 1.
The fuck?  I did excellent in high school pre-calc last year and I have no idea what derivative quotient problems are.  But yet you are expected know what people in that course won't even normally know, let alone people who are just taking it?

Worse - he expected us to be able to do it in long form. Apparently in calculus, you learn how to do them in one step, his takes 8. To quote the first quiz: "Fill in the missing steps to show how ((1/sqrt(x+h))-(1/sqrt(x)))/h = ... = -1/sqrt(x)sqrt(x+h)(sqrt(x+h)+sqrt(x))."

Obviously with better formatting, but I think you should be able to get the gist of it.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #44255 on: October 08, 2014, 08:16:17 pm »

my brain is getting, like, way more nervous than it needs to be.

Like, I guess, you should care if i'm drinking? I'm not really all that certain why you're angry, or if you're even angry, and for some reason I actually give one-in-seven fucks

Like I am almost certain that coming from anyone else this would be way less overwhelming. Yo, you gotta not let me respect you so much, because I don't like that i'm getting bad vibes from this situation.

Bluuurgh. Even non-specific bullshit doesn't make me feel any less weird. I guess this counts as a rage? maybe more like...

Things that made you Blllllghhhhhhheeeh today thread.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44256 on: October 08, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »

They're two different words for the same thing with differing levels of self-deception. The goal is in both cases to make the party think that they want what you have.

stuff
So... employers are generally lazy assholes. I guess that partly explains it.
Efficient. They don't care about you, they care about getting their work done. You have to convince them that you're worth considering, and if you do anything but that, they'll see it as a waste of their time. If you don't care enough to put effort into getting hired, why should they hire you?

I'm not making value judgements here, mind, just describing how the system works.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #44257 on: October 08, 2014, 09:10:19 pm »

The system sucks.
* II goes back to filling out his tax return.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44258 on: October 08, 2014, 09:19:42 pm »

New rage: TECHNOLOGY WHY WON'T YOU WORK AAAAHHH
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44259 on: October 08, 2014, 10:10:42 pm »

Told my mother about my day. She freaked out at me about the mock interview at school, about how she isn't going to help me with it by getting clothes ready or helping practice for it. I didn't even ask her for anything like that; I only mentioned that it was a thing that already happened.

She also freaked out on me, screaming at me to do an assignment that I already finished. She demanded that I e-mail it to her, and started getting angry at me when her e-mail started glitching out on her.

And she wonders why I don't talk to her about my day more often.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:12:26 pm by BlackFlyme »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #44260 on: October 09, 2014, 02:31:05 am »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
sure my jaw might hurt from when i got kicked across the face tonight, and im pretty sure id have cracked ribs or something if i got kicked much harder, i don't mind the prospect of that, i can handle it.
but this goddamn finger. STOP HURTING FINGER.
It's the kind of pain that only happens when the nail is worn so far down that the underside bit is starting to show and then it starts stinging. ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkk I gotta let my nails grow out. because this hurts like shit.
ow.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44261 on: October 09, 2014, 03:43:33 am »

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #44262 on: October 09, 2014, 04:47:04 am »

They're two different words for the same thing with differing levels of self-deception. The goal is in both cases to make the party think that they want what you have.

Nah. You can lie without making someone want your stuff, and you can make someone want your stuff without lying. Or with.
So, lying ∈ salesmanship but lying =/= salesmanship.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44263 on: October 09, 2014, 04:55:38 am »

I went to college.  Pretty much the most useful stuff you will get out of college is the hands on stuff.... which is exactly the kind of stuff you get at a robotics club... and honestly that's at about the same level of hands on too.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #44264 on: October 09, 2014, 08:15:39 am »

My internet just broke.
I'm with stupid |
                      v
Pages: 1 ... 2949 2950 [2951] 2952 2953 ... 3345