Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1621 1622 [1623] 1624 1625 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698159 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Independence Day. EVERYONE IN THAT MOVIE IS SO GODDAMN IDIOTIC THEY DIDN'T DESERVE TO LIVE
How are they idiotic? The guy is able to hack into an alien operating system with ease! That's a genius if I've ever seen one!
RRRRRGAGARGRGARGAGRGARG JEFF GOLDBLUM SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ACCESS THE GODDAMN OPERATING SYSTEM, TO NO EXTENT HACK INTO IT. IT'S NOT LIKE THEY WERE OPERATING ON THE SAME PLATFORM AS THE HUMANS OR ANYTHING.
But maybe he... I've got nothing.  Whoever was their tech expert can burn in the deep depths of the circus.
He went and got the correct cables from Radio Shack, they have everything.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Independence Day. EVERYONE IN THAT MOVIE IS SO GODDAMN IDIOTIC THEY DIDN'T DESERVE TO LIVE
How are they idiotic? The guy is able to hack into an alien operating system with ease! That's a genius if I've ever seen one!
RRRRRGAGARGRGARGAGRGARG JEFF GOLDBLUM SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ACCESS THE GODDAMN OPERATING SYSTEM, TO NO EXTENT HACK INTO IT. IT'S NOT LIKE THEY WERE OPERATING ON THE SAME PLATFORM AS THE HUMANS OR ANYTHING.
But maybe he... I've got nothing.  Whoever was their tech expert can burn in the deep depths of the circus.
He went and got the correct cables from Radio Shack, they have everything.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I know the box says four tablespoons of butter, but that's an absolutely retarded amount of butter for anything ever invented since butter existed.
Frumple... frumple does not put butter in mac and cheese at all. The only thing I put butter in with any consistency is, like, cake. Nothing else. And that's only because I don't make cakes often enough to bother deviating from the recipes.

M&C is simple. Make broth out of water -- bit of bullion, maybe some teriyaki/soy sauce, whatever's to taste. Don't use much, but enough for some flavor to sink in. It's quite noticeable even with relatively little. Cook. Maybe throw some pepper in near the end, whatever. Drain (if not cooking in microwave*. Some M&C cooks fine in the microwave.), put back in cooking container. Add included cheese. Add more cheese -- this is the most important step! It is what makes taste and consistency... right. Add anything else -- spices, bits of meat, whatever. Stir well, maybe add water until consistency is appealing. Done.

Ingredients are water, macaroni and included cheese, more cheese, and whatever I feel like throwing into it today. No butter. No milk -- water works fine. No explicit salt -- use bullion and tasty sauces! Salt is weak. I do like to time it, but that's mostly because it means I don't have to pay as much attention to it :P

People don't get to complain about the oddities of my cooking it. No one else in my (immediate, anyway) family cooks tastier mac n'cheese 8)

*Two cups water for standard sized box (~7.25g). Three minutes, stir, three minutes, stir, three minutes, done. Sample available M&C brands until you find the ones that microwave well! Not all will, but some will.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How to never make Mac and Cheese from a box again:
(Quickly and easily impress friends/family/significant others with your mad pasta skills)

1) Boil your Noodle of choice. I rather like Rotini and Penne instead of Macaroni.
2) Drain and remove noodles from pot (I usually leave it in the colendar for now, but you may want to put it in a separate container, and toss it with a bit of olive oil to keep it from sticking, and keep it from drying).
3) Melt 2-3 Tbsp butter in the pot, and combine with 2 Tbsp flour. Incorporate over heat until it becomes a nut-brown paste. This is called a Roux! (Pronounced "Rue". Say it if people ask; it's one of those cooking words that sounds impressive >_o)
4) Add 1 Cup milk and stir while heating until it begins to simmer and thicken. Your sauce has become a Béchamel! (Besh-a-mel, if I'm not mangling the French)
5) Add and melt a shit-ton of cheese into the sauce to turn it into a Mornay! I do about 1 Cup or more of shredded cheese, usually a mix of Parmesan, Sharp Cheddar, and a good soft Mozzarella.

At this point, you can add your pasta back to the pot and serve, or begin the BONUS ROUND.

OPTIONAL FANCIFICATION) Add any of the following to your sauce, but be careful not to overdo it:
a. Turn the sauce into a Rosa sauce by adding a can of thick tomato paste (which makes the sauce very heavy and rich) and/or a can of stewed tomatoes. I used the diced already seasoned Italian ones, because they've been sitting in the herbs for a while.
b. Make a poor-mans Allemande Sauce (Alay-mond, probably?) by adding an egg while the sauce is simmering, a bit of lemon juice, and mixing it like crazy. This also makes the sauce richer, and specializes it, so take care with what else you add!
c. Add 1/2 or more Cups of Spinach, and now you can add "Florentine" onto the end of your dish's name, which sounds HELLA fancy. You may want to wilt the leaves over heat first, unless you're using frozen pre-cooked stuff.
d. Add some chicken, shrimp, crab (the imitation stuff made from Pollock is fine), sliced brown mushrooms, asparagus (you'll want to cook this first), or whatever else strikes your fancy to further complicate the dish. It's probably a heavy sauce as it is, so some light ingredients can help a lot.
e. Sprinkle Panko Bread Crumbs, diced chives, or stick a sprig of parsley on top when serving, for added fanciness.

P.S. If you make it with Penne and Optional Step a., do not call it "Pene Rosa". It will not go over well with anyone speaks Italian.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:05:55 am by Solifuge »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

You forgot to add the egg.  The egg makes it creamy. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

My roommates make mac and cheese with a roux. It always tastes floury to me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You forgot to add the egg.  The egg makes it creamy.

But I included that as Optional Fancification B! Technically, that makes it no longer qualify as a standard sauce I know of, but I call it a Veloutte (or Allemande) anyway.

My roommates make mac and cheese with a roux. It always tastes floury to me.

Probably overdoes the flour, or doesn't pan-sear it with the butter before adding the milk. If you do, it gets lightly browned, cuts the floury flavor, and makes it taste a bit more like a nut (which works pretty well!).

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Also alot of recipes ask for a half teaspoon of dry mustard into the cheese sauce, OMIT that, tastes so much cheesier.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Also alot of recipes ask for a half teaspoon of dry mustard into the cheese sauce, OMIT that, tastes so much cheesier.
There is a problem with that suggestion. Lack of mustard.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its gross and throws off the cheese flavor >:I

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Mustard is amazing and shut up.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you sir

you sir never had any cheesy mustard

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok then next input from me:

MUSTARD IS NASTY IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN SANDWICHES AND EGGS

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly