Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1442 1443 [1444] 1445 1446 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3710072 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Implement This Edition
« Reply #21645 on: March 13, 2013, 04:38:16 pm »

Found 11 plagiarizers today in the class I mark for.
Out of how many?  Please say several hundred.  PLEASE!

About 60
...please say that this is a low level class that some middle schoolers are taking?

1st year physics for engineers

aka: university level stuff
WAI.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21646 on: March 13, 2013, 04:38:51 pm »

About 60
...please say that this is a low level class that some middle schoolers are taking?

Damn.  Were they plagirizing entire papers or just forgetting to cite sources? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21647 on: March 13, 2013, 04:43:32 pm »

About 60

Damn.  Were they plagirizing entire papers or just forgetting to cite sources?

Entire labs except for 1 group who I suspect copied half their lab from a group that plagiarized their entire lab.

As for why, don't ask me. I'll probably never know. I just get to read through all their stuff and play "spot the identical numbers, words, and phrasing" game for a few hours.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21648 on: March 13, 2013, 04:49:30 pm »

Entire labs except for 1 group who I suspect copied half their lab from a group that plagiarized their entire lab.

As for why, don't ask me. I'll probably never know. I just get to read through all their stuff and play "spot the identical numbers, words, and phrasing" game for a few hours.
Word for word? Sheesh, you just don't get cheaters like they used to be.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21649 on: March 13, 2013, 04:57:54 pm »

Oh gods.
I remember this one time in band camp in primary school, 5th grade I believe, it was "annoying homework assignment time", where we, despite being poor, innocent little childrens, were cruelly forced to spend our leisure time researching primitive tribes around the world. (Pretty sure the nifty, laminated booklet I made is still floating about somewhere.)

Anyway, one guy got up for his turn, carried a sheet of card with a few paragraphs of info on it to the front of the room. He very haltingly recited a bunch of facts, basically just reading them from the sheet. The teacher wasn't too impressed, naturally.

Next up was my friend, who carried his own sheet of card up to the front of the class, looking rather unhappy. As soon as I started to speak I realised why: word for word, his project was exactly the same as the guy before him. :))
Apparently they had both pulled their work from the very same webpage. Whoops. (Not like I didn't do the same, but at least I re-worded everything, hehehe.)
These were the days before you had to cite every single freakin' source you gathered information from, but it was still pretty damning.

E: Also, notably, that was pretty much the last time in my school years that I actually gave a fuck about homework/assignments. :P
I was looking back through my memory thinking, "Wait, hold on, I actually put effort into something? What the hell?! That can't be right. What. I want my money back." But then I realised that at that point I had only just begun to cultivate my hatred of homework and the teachers who would expect me to deal with their crap whilst not at school.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:00:47 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21650 on: March 13, 2013, 05:49:56 pm »

Word for word? Sheesh, you just don't get cheaters like they used to be.
When I cheat I'm at least smart enough to change some of the numbers around and double check my work.  Exchange a word or two there, drop a sentence there.  Really, it's not that hard people. 
Note- Only times I've ever cheated was in middle school when we were doing math homework, and I couldn't be bothered to do all the tedious "Add this number and subtract that number" stuff. 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21651 on: March 13, 2013, 08:09:33 pm »

Just going to put this out there, but if you cheat extensively (especially on papers at a university level), it'll be noticed. People have their own writing styles and individual quirks, so a drastic shift in tone makes it pretty clear what's going on. That, and quite a few universities have automated systems to check for similarities between submitted papers and published work/websites. It's pretty much at the point where it's more work to cheat without being caught than it is to do the damn work. Thank goodness.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #21652 on: March 13, 2013, 08:30:00 pm »

Heh. I remember one time when a friend asked me for my assignment as he hadn't made his yet. I gave him mine and the next day we were both called to the front of  the class. Teacher had both our papers on his desk next to each other, and I saw they were exactly the same, except that mine had the text split up in two (like in newspapers). I was like: Of shit, I'm dead. Than he asked us which assignment belonged to which person, as we both forgot to add our names.

I still wonder how he could not have noticed that. But then again, it was also the teacher in whose class we watched funny insurance commercials and ate cake.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21653 on: March 13, 2013, 08:48:21 pm »

My schools uses a web application that scans documents of any existence on the internet, its pretty damn precise word to word.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #21654 on: March 13, 2013, 08:49:48 pm »

My highschool used that as well.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #21655 on: March 13, 2013, 09:08:04 pm »

Although there are programs which can take a page of text, and replace various words with similar meaning words. They can be a bit sloppy at times, but that would probably get around it. Not that I did any of that stuff, I wasn't a complete dick in highschool.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21656 on: March 13, 2013, 09:09:27 pm »

Although there are programs which can take a page of text, and replace various words with similar meaning words. They can be a bit sloppy at times, but that would probably get around it. Not that I did any of that stuff, I wasn't a complete dick in highschool.
Suuuuuuure you didn't.
I think that most searches also look for synonyms when searching. 

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #21657 on: March 13, 2013, 09:10:22 pm »

That's why you need to find a paper in a different language. Translating a paper is easier than writing one.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21658 on: March 13, 2013, 09:18:43 pm »

I had teachers that said the real difference between plagiarism and citation is the citation itself. You could have virtually the entire paper just be quotes of the respected works, so long as they are noted and cited at the end.

I still preferred to reword and shorten the info for the sake of efficiency, which often made it difficult for me to meet length requirements, but meh.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21659 on: March 13, 2013, 09:21:08 pm »

I had teachers that said the real difference between plagiarism and citation is the citation itself. You could have virtually the entire paper just be quotes of the respected works, so long as they are noted and cited at the end.

I still preferred to reword and shorten the info for the sake of efficiency, which often made it difficult for me to meet length requirements, but meh.
If there is one thing I learned from English, other then the seventy five vocab words a week we memorize, it's how to B.S an essay to meet a requried length. 
At our school it's you need citations, and unless it is a direct quote, it needs to be paraphrased. 
Pages: 1 ... 1442 1443 [1444] 1445 1446 ... 3345