Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702718 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Porkalypse Edition
« Reply #15525 on: September 27, 2012, 01:40:54 pm »

So, wait until he starts to get baked, and call the cops? Have him arrested for possession. Tell them that he tried to sell it to you, and have him arrested for possession with intent to sell.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15526 on: September 27, 2012, 01:41:39 pm »

See, the thing about dorms is, they can be really awesome to live in. But first-year students are in the absolute worst possible position to achieve that state, since it involves having some sort of fucking control over who you're rooming with. In later years, you can get a dorm room with friends/significant others, which is much more pleasant, in addition to getting the much more pleasant dorm rooms I might add. For 3rd and above year students at my school, they offered dorm "suites", with their kitchens and bathrooms and dining areas and individually closed off beds, for the same price as the 4-person closets they offered four year students.

And if it helpes (it wont), MSH, keep this in mind: It could be much, much worse. At least you're only rooming with /one/ douche, right? Most schools nowadays have a minimum requirement that you room with two.

I don't have any reasonable alternatives, Glyph. I can't get an apartment unless I personally am going to be the one paying for it, and I can't make that kind of income while attending school full-time.
Nope, not accepting this. Get a loan. Better to pay for it later than deal with this /ever/. Your into the semester, so there's probably houses with people bailing already - find them, and you can get a room for super cheap. Or, if you have a vehicle, you can follow the GlyphGryph approach to University (final year), and just live out of that. Get a lockbox and use the room for storage.

Or, yeah, have him arrested. Or bring a recorder in when he goes off on one of his tirades and find a sympathetic ear - and if they remain unsympathetic, maybe the school newspaper.

Worst comes to worse, drop out, go to community college for a while somewhere else, and try again in 2 years.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:44:06 pm by GlyphGryph »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15527 on: September 27, 2012, 01:42:14 pm »

So, wait until he starts to get baked, and call the cops? Have him arrested for possession. Tell them that he tried to sell it to you, and have him arrested for possession with intent to sell.
He thankfully has not tried to do it here since the initial incident, but if they found anything on him and I was even nearby they'd charge me with constructive possession. So no.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #15528 on: September 27, 2012, 01:43:44 pm »

If he's in a frat then there should be some dudes willing to take your place, right?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15529 on: September 27, 2012, 01:46:35 pm »

He thankfully has not tried to do it here since the initial incident, but if they found anything on him and I was even nearby they'd charge me with constructive possession. So no.

Haha no. If you call on him, you are not going to be charged with anything. If he's trying to "sell" it to you, there is literally no way it could be interpreted as constructive possession. The fact that YOU called, and not someone else, would very easily get you off the hook here.

The problem is that your school will absolutely bloody hate you for this, and may convince the police to let them handle discipline internally, which runs the risk of him remaining your roommate.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15530 on: September 27, 2012, 01:48:38 pm »

Unless you go to the RD and say that if they dont handle it (as in moving you or him) then you will have no choice but to call the police.
This is a blank sig.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15531 on: September 27, 2012, 01:49:29 pm »

Unless you go to the RD and say that if they dont handle it (as in moving you or him) then you will have no choice but to call the police.
This. THIIIIIS.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15532 on: September 27, 2012, 01:52:38 pm »

Schools also generally frown on racist tirades to unsympathetic audiences. The RD may be your best choice, honestly. In think you've got enough of a case, and even if the school doesn't care about you going crazy and dying, the dorm authority, probably the Resident Director, might, and both will care about potential negative publicity.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:54:34 pm by GlyphGryph »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #15533 on: September 27, 2012, 02:00:29 pm »

Worst case scenario is the RD ignores you and things stay the same. Better case scenario is something gets done about it. Regardless of how likely that is, you have nothing to lose, and this is shitty enough that it'd be worth trying in any case.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15534 on: September 27, 2012, 02:17:31 pm »

And if the RD doesn't listen, go to the office of Student Housing. If they don't listen, go to your academic adviser. Eventually, make it clear to somebody that you are reaching the point where you will happily take the remaining 3.5 years of tuition that they were going to receive, and give it to an institution of higher learning that *doesn't* force them to live in an episode of "The Odd Couple" as produced by Franz Kafka.

Seriously...if it's clear that it comes down to "Move one of us, or kiss the $25,000+ you were going to get out of me goodbye", they'll move somebody.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15535 on: September 27, 2012, 02:19:29 pm »

Honestly, if you harass the management enough, they'll move you. Screw blackmailing them with your tuition, threaten to be there again tomorrow, complaining. And the next day. And the next day.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15536 on: September 27, 2012, 02:59:25 pm »

At my uni it wasn't required for in-state freshmen to stay in the dorms. I did, for the experience. Then I promptly got the fuck out. Your college sounds like a shit hole ;P

I'm with the above. Sometimes being a squeeky wheel can get them to bend the rules just to keep you quiet. Threatening to call the authorities yourself will probably be a better motivator than threatening to take your money elsewhere. (Consider that a) it makes you sound like a premadonna, b) the RD probably could care less about finances and c) going over their head to the authorities is something that will reflect poorly on them directly and d) threatening something that is going to make your life MORE difficult probably isn't the best strategy. Especially if they call your bluff.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15537 on: September 27, 2012, 03:05:18 pm »

I don't know what makes you all think I can call the police on him for anything. He has to be doing something illegal for that, which he so far has not in my presence.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15538 on: September 27, 2012, 03:06:48 pm »

I don't know what makes you all think I can call the police on him for anything. He has to be doing something illegal for that, which he so far has not in my presence.

If you even smell weed on him, that's enough to call the cops. It may not be enough to convince them to come. But when you can argue it's happening in your living space, that might tip the scales in your favor.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15539 on: September 27, 2012, 03:08:36 pm »

He's wizened up since the incident. I'm sure he's still doing it but I have zero evidence of it.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 3345