Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702139 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Porkalypse Edition
« Reply #15510 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure my laptop's webcam is installed upside down. Also, I can't find any options to flip it on the software side. Some specific programs have flipping options, but not all (such as goddamn skype).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15511 on: September 27, 2012, 01:02:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure my laptop's webcam is installed upside down. Also, I can't find any options to flip it on the software side. Some specific programs have flipping options, but not all (such as goddamn skype).

This is a great excuse to get one of those suspension rigs that hangs you upside down to stretch your back out.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15512 on: September 27, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »

Would make for interesting conversation :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15513 on: September 27, 2012, 01:04:26 pm »

Move to Australia. Or if you do, claim that it's normal.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15514 on: September 27, 2012, 01:19:24 pm »

MSH, your school sounds absolutely miserable. Why in the bloody hell would you /require/ people to dorm.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed dorming (even with the number of roommates that have no problem having sex while you are "asleep"), but that sounds terrible beyond measure. There are no good answers at this point. Maybe, if possible, "switch to a school that doesn't suck" or "get the extra money to get some space off campus". You're school is gouging you, but it sounds like paying for housing on top of "contributing" to your dorm room might be worth it as a sanity-preserver. Which is... exactly the thing I did when I had to spend a year at a college that required me to dorm (never figured out why, but it was only for international students, so fuck them). I let my roommates used it as a "guest bed", and just took out a bigger loan to afford my own place. It was worth it.

No matter what, you do not "have to live with this". You are an adult, that statement is stupid as shit. You don't have to live with anything. Sure, most of your alternatives are hard or unpleasant, but it sounds like it's getting to the point where that is a step up.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:24:58 pm by GlyphGryph »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15515 on: September 27, 2012, 01:24:35 pm »

It's common for universities to place a ton of restrictions on out-of-state, first-year students. Some of it is well-meaning. Some of it is just gouging people who have few alternative options. Like, on the one hand, they require out of state students to live on campus because they're in a strange, new place far from their family, and it prevents them from getting into trouble. On the other hand, it's a way to fill out dorms and bill students and families for shit they could probably do without.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15516 on: September 27, 2012, 01:25:44 pm »

In my experience, as long your paying for a room, they either don't care or don't know.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15517 on: September 27, 2012, 01:27:23 pm »

I will never, ever live in a dorm. Ever.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15518 on: September 27, 2012, 01:29:14 pm »

It isn't just out-of-state, all first-years have to live in dorms.

I don't have any reasonable alternatives, Glyph. I can't get an apartment unless I personally am going to be the one paying for it, and I can't make that kind of income while attending school full-time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:32:27 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15519 on: September 27, 2012, 01:29:43 pm »

MSH, have you gone and talked to your RA yet? Give that a shot.
It won't make a difference. My RA likes me but is ultimately apathetic more than anything else. My roommate's actions make him an utterly noxious human being but that isn't grounds for...anything, really. The only thing my RA could do is bitch at him, and that would just increase the amount of hate between my roommate and I. Except that isn't possible, I don't think I can hate any one person more than I do my roommate.

My RA already knows we don't get along. He's the one who advised me that switching roommates is practically impossible without an agreement already lined up when you apply.
What about the RD? (assuming your dorm has one...mine had an RA for each floor, and a Residence Director who was an actual, legitimate adult overseeing the whole shebang). RA's, by virtue of being students themselves, can get away with only giving half a shit. RD's are employees and thus contractually required to give a whole and complete shit.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15520 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:24 pm »

Even if I knew where the RD actually was, as I have only seen her a total of once, it would not change the fact that I have no contractually legitimate complaint.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15521 on: September 27, 2012, 01:35:13 pm »

Uh..your dorm-mate is a huge distraction, which is causing your mental state to suffer, which will cause your work to suffer, which will cause the school to lose money?

Ride the slippery slope, man.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15522 on: September 27, 2012, 01:37:02 pm »

This, and complaints about severe anti social behaviour and thier racism. It might not be against your contract terms, but it does sound very near a crime and not the sort of thing any uni/college wants a reputation for.
This is a blank sig.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15523 on: September 27, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »

Well, the pot most certainly is a crime, and they don't seem to care. Hence, I didn't bring up the law.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15524 on: September 27, 2012, 01:39:14 pm »

Uh..your dorm-mate is a huge distraction, which is causing your mental state to suffer, which will cause your work to suffer, which will cause the school to lose money?

Ride the slippery slope, man.
I think you are severely overestimating how much a college cares about whether a student stays or not. If a student leaves, another will take their place.
This, and complaints about severe anti social behaviour and thier racism. It might not be against your contract terms, but it does sound very near a crime and not the sort of thing any uni/college wants a reputation for.
Not even remotely a crime. Besides, Worst Person on Earth is a good, upstanding fraternity student. Obviously I am just being unreasonable.
Well, the pot most certainly is a crime, and they don't seem to care. Hence, I didn't bring up the law.
They didn't actually find anything evidential on him. If only, then I would have peace and quiet by now.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 3345