Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689460 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Lactose Tolerance Edition
« Reply #14205 on: August 22, 2012, 01:15:10 pm »

There is, but there's a couple of biochemical hitches with that. Lactase tablets (specifically β-galactosidase) only works in a high-acid environment like the human stomach. But too much acid denatures the enyzme. And the root problem is that if the lactose isn't broken down before it gets to the intestines, the gut flora there will happily devour it (producing large volumes of hydrogen, CO2 and methane as a by-product).

So you can't mix it into the food, you can't take it on an empty stomach, and if even if you take it at the same time you start eating the dairy product, it's kind of a race against time to see if it can break down the lactose before it makes it to your small intestine. If the lactose wins that race....BOOM goes the dynamite.  :-\

It's just really a crapshoot (no pun intended...well, maybe a little) and you get sick of rolling the dice every time you eat dairy. Aviodance is just a lot easier.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Lactose Tolerance Edition
« Reply #14206 on: August 22, 2012, 01:17:47 pm »

Man, I didn't know it was so inconsistent. That's unfortunate.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14207 on: August 22, 2012, 01:51:22 pm »

I keep expecting some kind of gene therapy treatment to materialize, but given the cost of things like gene therapy, it'll probably be a long while before that ever shows up. Plus, apparently the genetics of it isn't cut-and-dried. There's multiple genotypes of lactose tolerance, suggesting that there's no single gene that can be flipped to remove adult intolerance.

C'est la Brie.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14208 on: August 22, 2012, 01:52:47 pm »

With the concept of the thread in your sig, you could probably simulate the taste of cheese in the very far future
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

what I'm saying is that I'm a "pure" human and you're all Viking mutants.  :P
Bah to pure, Ice cream is too awesome. Totally fine with being part-Viking if I get ice cream because of it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14210 on: August 22, 2012, 02:32:38 pm »

Is it weird that i only eat Gelato than icecream?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14211 on: August 22, 2012, 02:42:59 pm »

I calculate it at 0.6 Bay12s.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14212 on: August 22, 2012, 02:43:51 pm »

I calculate it at 0.6 Bay12s.
Interestingly enough, bay 12 is only at .9 bay12s.

Some scientist theorize this is due to the extra space.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14213 on: August 22, 2012, 02:50:34 pm »

I keep expecting some kind of gene therapy treatment to materialize, but given the cost of things like gene therapy, it'll probably be a long while before that ever shows up. Plus, apparently the genetics of it isn't cut-and-dried. There's multiple genotypes of lactose tolerance, suggesting that there's no single gene that can be flipped to remove adult intolerance.

C'est la Brie.

I've also heard some types can stop and start pretty much at random. It's a weird condition.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14214 on: August 22, 2012, 03:22:14 pm »

C'est la Brie.

I've also heard some types can stop and start pretty much at random. It's a weird condition.
Well, there's a type that isn't genetic but is instead cause by damage to the intestinal wall (from prior infections, for instance). That one is actually reversible with enough time, probiotics and gradual reintroduction of dairy to the diet.

I got the classic "adult onset" kind. Hit me in college, when I started having a bowl of cereal before hiking to my first class. Noticed a pattern of being...otherwise indisposed for most of the latter half of class. Except for the mornings when I was running late and skipped breakfast. Didn't take long to piece together what was going on. At first, it was just pure liquid milk that was a problem. Then over time, cheese became more of a problem. Now, it's gotten to where almost any dairy ('cept for things like yogurt or acidulated cheese, which are kinda 'pre-digested') is a problem. I figure at this rate, eventually I'll just look at a cow and race to the bathroom.

What's annoying is that there's a community of lactose-intolerance "deniers" who insist that it's not a real condition, and another community of people who insist that lactose-intolerance isn't a medical condition, because of its predominance (i.e. the "we're normal and its you lactose-tolerant people that have the 'condition'" attitude I was spoofing) and that any attempts to find a medical "cure" or "compensation" are insulting and wrong. It's kind of akin to the people with congenital deafness who refuse to allow their children to get cochlear implants because "there's nothing wrong with being deaf".

If you look at the talk page for the Wikipedia entry on it, it's a wall of people getting in a huff based on the above viewpoints.  ::)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14215 on: August 22, 2012, 03:43:59 pm »

*is awfully proud of the thread subtitle.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #14216 on: August 22, 2012, 06:17:55 pm »

Why do I continue to browse the DayZ Forums, I mean I seriously find myself getting annoyed and angry at 80% of the posts made there yet I keep coming back.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14217 on: August 22, 2012, 06:18:58 pm »

Mmmmm, cheese.

Sorry. But it IS the godfood.
QFFT. I can't even begin to imagine life without cheese.
I can.

the world has ended, due to the cheese revolts when the governments of the world outlawed cheese.

I can live without cheese.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14218 on: August 22, 2012, 06:27:33 pm »

Why do I continue to browse the DayZ Forums, I mean I seriously find myself getting annoyed and angry at 80% of the posts made there yet I keep coming back.

Their community enrages me as a whole just because nobody plays ARMA II anymore because of it :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14219 on: August 22, 2012, 06:29:40 pm »

On a scale of Bay12 to Minecraft, where would you place the DayZ forums? Theres also a 4chan addon if you need to go farther than the minecraft forums on the scale. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 3345