Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698252 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All of my guy friends have now transferred out of my English class. It is myself, my male teacher, and 17 girls. Now, please understand me. I am generally just not a social person in the first place. If I am being social, I like a sort of professional, business-social until best friend status is firmly and clearly achieved. This is why I hate being in the room with 17 girls. I can talk to women, and I can talk to ladies, but girls annoy me. No, I don't want to participate in your little smuggling ring of notes when the notes are the sort of bullshit better left to Twitter. Yes, tell me all about the cats your family has owned since you were born; even better, do so while I'm reading or doing chemistry homework. Don't enunciate or project when speaking in front of the class, who the fuck wants to listen to 12 minutes of a presentation that is good? I completely agree that the worlds 'like', 'umm', and 'well' should compromise more than 70% of all conversations. Who the fuck needs sentences, portmanteaus can do fucking everything. /rant.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Raging at myself.

Ordered an Nvidia 550 Ti. Had read a lot of bugaboo about "30 amps on your 12v rail" and figured hey, my PSU is probably up to it, right? I should have known better. I cracked open my case to see "12v/20a" staring back at me from the side of the PSU.

I always do this. I buy new hardware, get all geeked out about it arriving, then forget the cardinal rule of upgrades: be fucking thorough. I always end up having to order more/different parts and waiting up to a week longer to do my upgrade.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I think I bought this PSU about 4 years ago to power a cheap ass video card...but it kills me that almost every time I get a new card or something, I end up needing a PSU to go with it. Because who doesn't like tacking on an extra $50 to their shopping cart.
tack on 2 6pin MOLEXs to the supplemental connection and it will draw the amps from there

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I thought about it. But since I've built this system, the 12volt rail has consistently been running in the yellow according to my board diagnostic tools. Starting to wonder if some of the instability I've seen in the past might not be related to it. Rather than trying to shoehorn in a new, way more powerful card on to an already over-taxed power setup, I think I'm gonna just wait until the new one arrives.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought about it. But since I've built this system, the 12volt rail has consistently been running in the yellow according to my board diagnostic tools. Starting to wonder if some of the instability I've seen in the past might not be related to it. Rather than trying to shoehorn in a new, way more powerful card on to an already over-taxed power setup, I think I'm gonna just wait until the new one arrives.
that old eh, was this a prebuilt?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh hell no. It's just a cheap BFG PSU that I bought to support (iirc) an MX420 Nvidia card. I've been through....2 other video cards since then, the 550 Ti being my third. This is a PSU that once supported my P4 build. So swap out an i5 on top of that, a modern mobo and plenty of fans....yeah. Once I put an i5 in it with the 8800 GTS, the 12v rail has seemed slightly stressed. That little PSU is on the verge of not pulling its weight anymore. I think the 550 Ti would have probably broken its back the minute gaming got underway.

I've been upgrading the same case for probably 8 years now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 12:57:58 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

The Computer of Theseus, basically?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it was legal, I'd enter into some sort of common law marriage with this case. Screwless access (nyuk nyuk nyuk), slide out drive bays, built like a tank. It may have killed my back on more than one occasion moving it, but if I ever have kids, chances are they'll get handed down this case at some point, it'll last that long.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

What case is it?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hardly even remember anymore, I think it's some Antec variety.

This is basically it, if it had a clear plexi-glass side panel with none of that crap wired to it.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/index.php?page=support_productInfo_details&ProdID=61050

Oh oh! Newegg remembers my purchases from a frickin' decade ago. The internet never forgets!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811125262

Chieftec. Who are no longer in business.

Mid-size server tower, which is more than most people need but I like having working room inside the case. Not having to bother with securing the side panel or drives is really nice.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:21:15 am by nenjin »

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, fuck you orthodontists. I thought I was free, then you force this goddamn retainer on me D:<
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, fuck you orthodontists. I thought I was free, then you force this goddamn retainer on me D:<
ha, mine didn't even last for 2 months, trust me though results may very. My teeth didn't move that much and my wisdom teeth impede much of movement but people had their teeth move back to place or worse.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mine stayed in for considerably longer, because I had an impacted front tooth and the one that came in behind it had to move forward quite a bit.

I think I wore it for close to 6 months, went into have it tightened once or twice. Then one day it just fell out of my mouth into the trash at school when I was emptying my lunch tray, and I was like "Welp, I'm done with that!" It's funny, I don't think orthodontists will really ever tell you "oh your teeth are great! those can come off right now!" At several hundred dollars billed to your insurance per visit, they have reasons against doing so.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

People who treat you snottily when you give them gifts of a lower quality than that to which they are accustomed.

It's a major pet peeve for me, and it's coming up right now because Thyme can be really nasty about things like this.  I'm going to get her Braid for her Christmas gift, which I'm sure she'll enjoy and is within my budget.  Otherwise, she seems to be sort of fundamentally wired to be socially interested in groups, not in any individuals other than a romantic partner.  Since I'm not in her group of friends from college, I can't exactly go get her something that will be just the thing to make her feel even more included; and because she is so oriented to these groups, her interests are neither stable nor expansive.  She's stuck in a position of constantly needing to rely on other people's opinions in order to form her own.  Her stable interests are things like sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.  Oh, and militant, downright offensive, "don't fucking mention religion around me unless you want me to shout you down because I hate God and churches and I hate people who have any sort of spiritual side or are anything but rampant materialists."  I am actually not exaggerating.  She doesn't say that, precisely, but she makes it clear that her position is one of violent opposition.  To everything.

She also enjoys mocking country people in a way that I find uncomfortable.  It's not traits, it's that they're people who live in the country and therefore stupid and bad.

I'm not saying there's nothing she believes in, but I am saying that I can't just give her something random that I loved (for example, Ender's Game--she likes books, she likes smart people, she likes sci-fi and so on, but I can't give her that book; I can't even give her books by authors whose work she's already liked!) and hope she'll enjoy it and we'll bond.  Everything has to be carefully calculated in terms of extant structures and other relationships.  Her current image of herself is "puzzle-solver," so I'm just going to get her the best puzzle-solving game I've found and hope she's finally satisfied.

And she tried very hard to steal my boyfriend, and didn't even have the power to say "I like him and I'm going to try to take him with my tits, okay?" to my face, because then I could have said "ah, yes, we are no longer best friends and I am not going to put you in a position where you get to try to take him every Sunday morning, and you don't get to act offended about that."

She was also the first person I came out about my mental issues to, and she told me I disgusted her and wouldn't use the name of autism, instead preferring to say "sore," which is Japanese for "that thing over by you and not close to me."

Sorry.  It's a cacophony of feeling.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

She has violent outbursts on religion?
*grabs a mug of beer and donns monk gear*
Sign me up for the next show!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's ok. That's what this place is for.

She sounds young. :|
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 3345