Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698325 times)

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

You don't choose who you love, and I didn't choose to get attached to someone who drives me so extremely bonkers.  This isn't something where I can just compute pros and cons and toss off my friend because I feel like it right now.

Personally I'm wondering what she'd say if she got to read your last few posts in this thread. But actually, yes, if a person proves to take more from you than they give, you -have- to let loose sooner or later or you'll end up with a deficit. (Speaking not of money but value and happiness.)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Yeah, but that isn't always the highest priority. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like there are problems what need resolving, but in my experience you want to stick with people you care about through tough things as much as you can. At some point, the emotional calculus becomes less important than the decision, "I want to have this person in my life". Yeah, even that statement needs to be moderated in case of abusive relationships, but I doubt that particular thing applies here.

Blah, I dunno. My thoughts here are a bit muddled between the general and the specific cases. Don't exactly have enough information or authority to make claims about the latter, after all. Still, it seems to me that it's not wrong to choose to give more than you get.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

Still, it seems to me that it's not wrong to choose to give more than you get.

One way relationships are just one of many ways to ruin, but it is possibly the easiest. I'm just saying that Vector should prize her own happiness over the abusiveness of her friend.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile

*looks out window*
*Is back at college campus*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I don't wanna go baaaaack! I hate this place and I'm starting to think it hates me and is going to kill me in my sleep with asbestos or something. I'm gonna get an uuulcer!

T_T

./whine

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

You don't choose who you love, and I didn't choose to get attached to someone who drives me so extremely bonkers.  This isn't something where I can just compute pros and cons and toss off my friend because I feel like it right now.
You can choose to get away from someone if a relationship (of whatever sort) is hurting you, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Malthusian Hysteria Editi
« Reply #8285 on: January 08, 2012, 02:06:54 pm »

A man drove away from his ten year old son in Uppsala after a floorball cup, and left him to walk, without outside clothes in winter (yes, the dad took them from the kid before he left), the 70-80 km something trip back to Stockholm. His reason? The boy didn't play good enough.

I am rage personified. There aren't words.
Love, scriver~

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Malthusian Hysteria Editi
« Reply #8286 on: January 08, 2012, 04:32:15 pm »

A man drove away from his ten year old son in Uppsala after a floorball cup, and left him to walk, without outside clothes in winter (yes, the dad took them from the kid before he left), the 70-80 km something trip back to Stockholm. His reason? The boy didn't play good enough.

I am rage personified. There aren't words.

I will never understand hooligans.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: January 08, 2012, 04:41:22 pm »

It's not a hooligan. It's a sport-jock-dad.
Love, scriver~

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

Aren't those rather tied together? Except one can be a dad and one is a dad. Guess I meant to say some people take sport way to fucking seriously and I don't get it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: January 08, 2012, 05:00:00 pm »

By hooligans is most commonly meant violent supporters, in my experience.

I understand what you meant now, though.
Love, scriver~

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Guess I meant to say some people take sport way to fucking seriously and I don't get it.
This. This is why I dislike sports. I will never understand why people do this.

I'm probably just bitter because I suck at everything besides running.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally I'm wondering what she'd say if she got to read your last few posts in this thread. But actually, yes, if a person proves to take more from you than they give, you -have- to let loose sooner or later or you'll end up with a deficit. (Speaking not of money but value and happiness.)

Personally I'm wondering why you continue to think it's your business to evaluate our relationship.  She's my friend.  I'm venting about her because I want to keep being her friend, but our relationship has been exceptionally rocky under the suddenly smooth surface for the past couple of years.

Oddly enough, there are other solutions to managing a relationship than tossing away people who annoy you, just like there are other solutions to a difficult life than committing suicide.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

Hey, running's a sport. Don't understand all the hubbub about adding in props, though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Re: Negligent dad.

I actually think it's neat when people take things "seriously." It means they care and aren't filled with apathy. Problems with that only arise if they start trying to impose... whatever it is they're being obsessive about on other people. In this case, obviously the dad (and it's doubly bad since he's not even the one participating). Projecting your obsessions on others = bad mojo. 

I could fill a decent sized post with RAAAAGE suitable for this thread on two related subjects: People shouting "serious business" and promoting apathy like it's some kind of twisted virtue, and people doing the opposite and wanting others to care as much as they do (or more often, in the same way that they do). Problem in both cases is the imposition. Live and let live, dammit.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Hey, running's a sport. Don't understand all the hubbub about adding in props, though.
Parkour is pretty much the only awesome thing to come out of France aside from Savate. Please don't knock it, it's all they've got.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 3345