Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: UFO: Afterlight  (Read 30254 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UFO: Afterlight
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2014, 07:32:23 am »

It was a long time since i last played it but i remember batteries being recharged after every mission so there was no probems what so ever in using ehnaced plasma rifles that had the firepower of gods middle finger capable of dropping just about everything in 2 or 3 shots... and it was purely a human thing so aliens didn't get that.
Ha! I don't even have shotguns yet. :P I'll keep working at it.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2014, 08:51:56 am »

It was a long time since i last played it but i remember batteries being recharged after every mission so there was no probems what so ever in using ehnaced plasma rifles that had the firepower of gods middle finger capable of dropping just about everything in 2 or 3 shots... and it was purely a human thing so aliens didn't get that.
Ha! I don't even have shotguns yet. :P I'll keep working at it.
To be fair i was talking about the first game with the biomass. I'm pretty sure batteries never recharged in the second game.
Can't really say anything about the third since i never played it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2014, 09:22:07 am »

There's precisely one weapon in the third game that automatically recharges -- a very late game rocket launcher equivalent, which even if you equip your entire team to the max with (which would be something like 2-3 of them per squaddie) isn't enough to finish a mission at that point. They hit like a truck, but you only get something like three shots with them, they're terribly heavy, they take up a huge chunk of inventory space, and they're pretty slow.

Plus, iirc, you can't actually build them. They can come on shipments from earth, but can't be built locally. They're pretty useful, but not something you can mainline as a weapon. Strictly support.

... anyway, the definite thing I like about the third is, among other things, that a pistoleer can be basically the deadliest thing on your team. It's pretty glorious to hit the end game and have your highest performing squaddie be the one that's been going gun-kata all over the aliens' face.

Though yeah, ammo isn't really an issue beyond the very, very early. Once you've got decently trained engineers and some better suits, bringing along enough ammo to murder everything that gets generated on a particular mission is cake.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:26:13 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2014, 02:26:10 pm »

There's precisely one weapon in the third game that automatically recharges -- a very late game rocket launcher equivalent, which even if you equip your entire team to the max with (which would be something like 2-3 of them per squaddie) isn't enough to finish a mission at that point. They hit like a truck, but you only get something like three shots with them, they're terribly heavy, they take up a huge chunk of inventory space, and they're pretty slow.

Plus, iirc, you can't actually build them. They can come on shipments from earth, but can't be built locally. They're pretty useful, but not something you can mainline as a weapon. Strictly support.

... anyway, the definite thing I like about the third is, among other things, that a pistoleer can be basically the deadliest thing on your team. It's pretty glorious to hit the end game and have your highest performing squaddie be the one that's been going gun-kata all over the aliens' face.

Though yeah, ammo isn't really an issue beyond the very, very early. Once you've got decently trained engineers and some better suits, bringing along enough ammo to murder everything that gets generated on a particular mission is cake.
My samantha always ended up with shotgun, there was some sort of glitch when playing on very slow speed wich made her being able to shoot it like it was a frigging machine gun, and could reload just as fast... As for the other i had one grenade launcher, 1-2 minigun and others assault rifle for precision shot.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2014, 02:30:24 pm »

Yeah, I found one of the most useful setups was to have one person with twin pistols and their general speediness cranked up as high as I could get it (I think I used Diego for that), and then everyone else armed with shotguns, which come in handy...uh...later.  :P

Also, a very useful (almost exploitative) tactic for later (spoiler alert)...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2014, 03:50:02 pm »

My main memories of this series is the second game when the new aliens arrive and fuck up your base or something.

They kicked my ass over and over until I finally dashed everyone down a one way corridor, proned everyone with sniper rifles at the far end, and had everyone else lurking near the door and just lambasted everything as they walked through it searching for me.

Good times.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2014, 05:18:03 pm »

RRrrg.  Dammit, why must you people remind me of this game, when it refuses to accept my laptop graphics card?

It's been so long since I played it and I want to so baddd.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2014, 06:47:02 pm »

It doesn't like the integrated graphics of my computer either, unfortunately. Aftermath is the only one that will work.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2014, 09:18:35 am »

Rollers are evil! :(

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2014, 09:27:48 am »

They really kinda' are. Iirc, either a nice laser or psi weapon can deal with them fairly easily, though. Having someone (though probably only one -- the attachments and whatnot the ballistic weapons almost always outperform, after a point) with backup beam dakka is usually a good idea, if you can manage it.

Aliens are really nice, actually. That infinite ranged heal is incredible, and the psi-gun packs a major punch once you've got a trained up critter. Good stuff.
Ask not!
Ask!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2014, 02:49:22 pm »

I finally got my first roller. It took three dynamite charges. Two to knock it out, and one to finish it.

In other news, this game is kicking my butt so hard, my ass just reached escape velocity. :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2014, 03:11:58 pm »

Seerrriously, pretty sure it's laser damage that bypasses most of its toughness or whathaveyou. If you've got a dual-pistol character, carrying a double-alien-pistol-thing backup can chew through 'em quick.
Ask not!
Ask!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2014, 04:15:46 pm »

If you've got a dual-pistol character, carrying a double-alien-pistol-thing backup can chew through 'em quick.
Yeaaah, I don't got ANY of that. :P

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2014, 06:04:52 am »

There seems to be a really annoying glitch/bug with rocket launchers. :(

I keep getting 'cannot attack target' errors. No problem with line of sight, plenty of ammo, just can't shoot. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Is there a way around it?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2014, 07:07:15 am »

If you've got a dual-pistol character, carrying a double-alien-pistol-thing backup can chew through 'em quick.
Yeaaah, I don't got ANY of that. :P
M'fairly sure even the base science laser can chew through a roller faster than anything but the highest end ballistics, and unless you're running some sort of mod you've definitely got those :P

As for the rocket launcher, the only thing I can think of at the moment is... is it loaded? I remember having problems with that, sometimes. Plenty of ammo, but the gun itself didn't have ammo in it, and for whatever reason the game wouldn't automate it for me.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9