Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: UFO: Afterlight  (Read 30251 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
UFO: Afterlight
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:10:55 pm »

Fun game. Discuss.

Also, I can't seem to get past the mission where the beastmen come in through the stargate implanted into the martian ground or whatever without my ENTIRE SQUAD dieing. Any ideas?

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UFO: Afterlight
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 03:14:03 pm »

What, the first Beastman mission?
No wai.

Firstly, what researches are you on?

Secondly, with the mission, kill the Mech, then run.
No really, f-ing run, you can't beat the number of Beastmen that arrive.
And then you have a brand new Faction that wants you dead! :D

[You do know how to run right? Get all your guys back to the green bit infront of the Transporter, then click ABORT MISSION.]

EDIT- Don't f-ing trade with anyone.
Ever, it's just not worth it, you'll permanently lose units of whatever you're trading, unless you, y'know go to war with them..
And really, it's not worth it, ever.
You seriously cripple your late game if you do.

ONE MORE EDIT, have you discovered the other aliens below you?
I forget their names.. But they're cool guys? That use annoying as hell Psy guns?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:17:15 pm by Evilgrim »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:15:44 pm »

EZ-Mode...

Move whole squad to just barely in range of mech, kill it, run away. Like he said.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 03:16:30 pm »

Well, the Mech is at the very end-The opposite side of the map from the transporter. So even if I get my squad to run they just get mowed down in transit. Almost completely, or completely! My best one was with 1 survivor.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:18:32 pm »

X2yzh9, I'm sorry.. But that mission is seriously easy mode.
Go slowly, and make sure you take out every unit one at a time if you're having problems.
Or just get one of your guys that can Run [Athletics 2 Or something..], give them LOTS of Dynamite. Read: Two.
Run in, big boom, run back, big hero party!

And if you ARE having problems with it, then you don't have to do it!
Seriously, the beastmen can wait, go around, get cool resources, start Mass Producing Shotguns and Overpowered Snipers, THEN go back.
VERY easy mode. I believe the phrase is, Cakewalk.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:20:05 pm by Evilgrim »

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:20:59 pm »

Aftermath10
Aftershock:10
Afterlight:10
Extraterestrials:6

ratings 1-10

Extraterestrials took X-com ripoff to a new level, and it looked like shit too.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:23:13 pm »

Quote from: Saint rip off
Aftermath: 6
Aftershock:10
Afterlight: 8
Extraterestrials: N/A

Just my oppinion.
Aftershock was easily my favourite though. [Cyborg's ftw!]
I don't know why.. Afterlight was too easy and.. Dumbed down.. Aftermath was WAY too slow and depressing. Aftershock on the other hand. :D

And allow me to assure you. Afterlight is really dumbed down.
I suppose I never got into Aftermath enough to rate it.. But Aftershock is.. Just right.

Well, it's either that or I was awful at Aftermath, and Aftershock was the first one where I got the hang of X-Com.. Untill the damned cultists showed up..
Damn I hate those Cultists.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 03:24:58 pm »

Well, is there a way to make my guys RUN? Because my guys end up walking. And obviously, the beastmen spawn at the center. My guys are SMACK in the center or right next to it, so they usually die. Quickly.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 03:25:37 pm »

Yes, there is.. I'm not sure exactly what it is..
But it's something like.. Athletics? I'll check now for you.. But look for it..
It lets them actually run, y'know. Fast.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 03:26:27 pm »

Well, is there a way to make my guys RUN? Because my guys end up walking. And obviously, the beastmen spawn at the center. My guys are SMACK in the center or right next to it, so they usually die. Quickly.
You can only run if you have suit training or something which AFAIK you cannot get that early.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 03:29:16 pm »

Yup, it's Athletics.
And you can get it really early.. I remember making it a priority for most of my guys, the extra speed really helps.
Just go around doing some missions, and then check if your guys can get any Soldier Trainings.
Which will let them run in their suits. :D

Also, what's AFAIK mean?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 03:31:37 pm »

Yup, it's Athletics.
And you can get it really early.. I remember making it a priority for most of my guys, the extra speed really helps.
Just go around doing some missions, and then check if your guys can get any Soldier Trainings.
Which will let them run in their suits. :D

Also, what's AFAIK mean?
"As far as I know"

also, that's good to know. I never bothered with training that early. Then again, I didn't have that much trouble early on.

If you must do it to get by the mission, sacrifice one guy to succeed. Once the mech is nearly dead have the rest head off while he finishes it off then have him haul ass.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 03:36:49 pm »

Fun game. Discuss.

Also, I can't seem to get past the mission where the beastmen come in through the stargate implanted into the martian ground or whatever without my ENTIRE SQUAD dieing. Any ideas?

Three solutions to this: Either you simply ignore the mission, the beastmen will come through regardless.

Or you run in, gun down only the mecha, and then flee, hoping the beastmen are sufficently distracted by the remaining martian drones.

Third and personal favorite: Bring a buggerton of dynamite, wipe the battlescene of drones, bring the mecha down to unconcious levels, place your doods near the mecha, the center and other spawn-points, drop dynamite on mech, run, as your guy passes the other team members, have them dump dynamite on their spots as well and join in the retreat, by the time the first stick goes off and triggers the gate sequence, your doods should be relatively safe by virtue of distance, - also: The fact the beastmen's first wave of troops seem to be standing in a pile of curious ticking little blocks of chemical explosives.

Welcome to Mars.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 03:39:04 pm »

I support any solution to a problem which involves an excessive amount of explosives.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 03:41:57 pm »

As do I!
Huzzah!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9