yes, montage me
- 5 (83.3%)
Ok, montage them
- 1 (16.7%)
i really would rather not montage one week
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 46

Author Topic: Fortress Mode: the RPG (is it dead or what lol?)  (Read 34615 times)

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Mode: the RPG (come play!)
« Reply #450 on: October 31, 2010, 01:14:47 am »

You can talk to any NPC and use your skills and attributes to influence them. Although Nanothnir has not been seen for days now, you havent seen him in like nearly a week, and Etur has been only seen sleeping for days too. They are not unfriendly, and getting them to work on something i have a system for that takes into account their mood, your charisma and any social skills + any reasoning or roleplay bonus. Penalties if you try to make them work more than 8 hours a day.

EDIT volcano edge means that on a 2d plane, the line represents the dividing line between outside and underground. To the right of the black line the surface elevation rises

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 31, 2010, 11:42:04 am »

Nirur, River, you guys want those new breastplates? I'll take one of those copper ones, and Labs can take the other.
Nirur, could I have your crossbow since you're going to be getting the new one? If Nirur agrees, I will equip his wooden crossbow.
Nirur, Adwarf, I recommend you stock up on the new bone bolts. We have 40 left, so I think you each should have 15, and I'll take 10.
Sure, take it. Thanks for the new one.
I'll take a breastplate and equip it whenever I'm on guard duty or doing something where I expect a battle. I'll also take 15 bolts and the foot crossbow +3.

8 hours cleaning the basement of tower two and building it up.
8 hours making a stone table & chest, and then improving the walls with any remaining time.
8 hours eating and sleeping.

I propose that we have five-story tall walls, and eight-story tall towers. At the top of the walls, every tile should eventually have the most powerful crossbow we can make mounted on a swivel-thingy. We'd probably be able to fire one every turn or every other turn, then reload them after battle. The towers could have six or so on each level, without the swivel-thingys. We should have little trouble firing these every turn. Just in case of a shortage, each dwarf would carry their own personal crossbow of an easily reloaded type. Finally, each tower would have a ballista on top, for when we really want to kill something.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:08:12 pm by Nirur Torir »

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 31, 2010, 01:14:53 pm »

Sure thing, i'll take the plate cuirass.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:07:02 pm by Riversand »
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 31, 2010, 01:42:22 pm »

Riversand, you have higher Weaponsmithing, but I have higher Armorsmithing. Neither of us started with any Blacksmithing (needed for metal furniture), but you made those copper doors, so I think that Garul should handle that. Still, I would rather not use up our valuable ore on anything except weapons. Also, I have 5 Masonry, so I think that either Nirur Torir or I should handle the stone table (and also the stone chest), okay?

Proposal
That seems like a good eventual goal, though it will take a long, long time, in my opinion. Still, having massive quantities of hand-cranked steel crossbows would be awesome. Every dwarf could have ten or so in a little wagon, and just use each one once so reloading is never needed... anyway, what do you think are our more immediate goals? How about I crank out some blocks for your wall, and work on a new iron breastplate for Labs? Adwarf can take his old copper one. Oh, could you take some time to make River a nice table and chest, too, or shall I?

Guys, I think that we should all encourage Ochita to dig out some rooms for Irony, and also look for light stone if he has time. I don't think it takes up our shifts, and it helps. Hurray for peer pressure!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:44:22 pm by Cheddarius »

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 31, 2010, 07:09:30 pm »

Cheddarius, you have a good point. and silver would be better for that i suppose. anyway, yeah, Garul will handle blacksmithing for the time, till another can take over. I will also request a table and chair, for sometime soon. Garul will also take up more of an active role in defense, guarding.

------------------

Garul Will pick up a newly forged Breastplate, putting it on as he goes out to patrol with his spear and shield. He also looks around to plan out tactical placement of traps, and also observes the outer gate, lacking doors. He asks Cheddarius for a few things that he has in mind, to use more stone.

Garul's Idea, is of heavy stone doors set to be an up-side down drawbridge style, so that a dwarf could push it out, but enemies could not push it in. the basic idea of it is that, but mechanism operated. This would help secure the compound. He also asks on the side for some furniture whenever it could be gotten around to, a table, chair and chest.

Garul also mentions that he saw the wood supply is running a little low.

Garul takes time to eat and drink, intermixing it with his patrolling duties, before going to bed.

10 hours patrolling; spread over the day
6 hours eating and drinking
8 hours sleeping

[alternate schedule if split-shifts are not permitted]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:20:14 pm by Riversand »
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 31, 2010, 08:16:35 pm »

The Other Cog approaches Ochita, adorable puppy under each arm, and requests he dig out a room for sleep and work so the poor, adorable puppies don't have to sleep on the ground and work in the dangerous swamp. He also sets up his clear glass statue at the point noted.

He then tries to find Eral to suggest (still holding the cute puppies) that they need more wood, going on at length about the wonders of glass furniture, and pointing out that if he can provide a constant supply of wood, Cog could make him a glass item or two.

Finally, he tries to find Nanothnir to discuss getting food and cloth production running. Having to idea how this works himself, it's more question than convincing.

Spoiler: Proposed Map (click to show/hide)

8 hours sleeping and eating
8 hours cutting the green glass
8 hours chatting with, getting to know, and attempting to influence my fellow dwarves (as listed above)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 31, 2010, 09:07:30 pm »

What do you think are our more immediate goals? How about I crank out some blocks for your wall, and work on a new iron breastplate for Labs? Adwarf can take his old copper one. Oh, could you take some time to make River a nice table and chest, too, or shall I?
My immediate goals are helping out with small masonry tasks while I build up the much-needed fortifications. In that line, I'll change my turn to make the table and chest.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 31, 2010, 09:15:40 pm »

8 hours building a stone chair and building up the wall if there is time left
8 hours smithing an iron breastplate
8 hours eating and sleeping

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 01, 2010, 04:24:02 pm »

Day 35... Adwarf Has become Captain of the Guard!
The Waxing Moon sets and the sun rises on a new day, Within the fortress walls is crowded, with even the walkspace being filled with the nearly matured shoots of young plants. Blood Gnats still pester, but the days are becoming warmer at least. Oddly though , the swamp beyond sporadically bubbles suspiciously.

Cheddarius borrows the masons workshop, and quickly puts out a single rock throne and finishes the shift by contributing to the walls progress. (16/32%done). That same evening, he works outside and despite the blood gnats, and despite the windchill, he nearly half completes the breastplate  (160/400,%), before eating and waiting for someone to open the front entrance so he can go to sleep indoors. (-13 rock -1iron bar +1 rock throne)

Cog The Fisher cleans fish

Cog ,The Glass one, Sleeps through the morning, and cuts glass in the evening (+7 cut glass? glass blocks? glass gem? and -7 raw green glass). before manipulating Ochita, he barely grumbles but agrees to do some tommorrow. He tries chatting people up longer but everyone is filling their bellies from the barrels before sleeping by nighttime. He searches for Nanothnir by the moonlight but he encounters Eral first. She she moans and grumbles in her bed and hardly seems to pay attention to Cogs words, occasionaly kicking in her sleep. Maybe shes sick. One of the puppies licks her face, magically healing her, or not. Oh well she sets up the glass statue atop some of the farm and it sinks in a little sideways, but it is quickly fixed.

Garul Equips himself. Passing through the perimiter walls open doorway, he patrols about, but nothing in particular stands out. At least not to his perception. he takes a break occasionaly, but he is ready if anything comes at the fort.

Hrodegr (-2 tent + 2 Overalls 120$ each) Works diligently, making something hopefully useful out of  some unneeded tents

Nirur Equips himself a bit, and hurls sludge out of his other tower basement with his shovel. It is hard work, and his endurance is not enough to keep from being tired, but by the end the room is clear. Afterwards he lays a wood unit over the opening in case of a storm, so he doesn't have to do it again anytime soon. We walks back to his workshop, and gets to crafting. A MASTERPEICE. (Crit) The table and chest are both works of art. They belong in a museum or grotto maybe. zzz

Ochita digs through siltstone and other sedminentary layers in search of some possible flux stone, but instead finds entombed skeletal creatures that thrash about for freedom as he digs. They are easily dispatched.

Revist Goes out fully armed, he collects some wood. He has to go out pretty far now, the surrounding landscape is mostly depleted of wood, and it takes a longer and more dangerous journey to collect.

Urist collects soem of the group basics, and roasts meat and Hardtack, grinding it up with the meat juices. It is marinating all day and all night and he remarks it will be ready for tommorow. (-16 meat -16 bad food +32 Breaded Yum Yum Meat Rolls+)

Night 35 approaches... *Warning Claxon*
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:30:15 pm by Hastur »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 01, 2010, 06:18:08 pm »

Garul, you lucky duck. A masterpiece table and chest? Pretty nice, dude.
If you don't have anything else to do, may I suggest covering mined-out areas in water to grow tower caps?

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 01, 2010, 06:31:11 pm »

Hastur, the inner doors within the fortress proper are actually open unless closed. i had mentioned that in their creation.they are a security measure, to make sure things can be sealed off.

and wow, i did get lucky.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 01, 2010, 08:51:15 pm »

Night 35... Event!

Cog the Fisher Busies himself taking off his muddy shoes and hanging his socks up to dry before going to sleep. He goes to close his cabin door but sees Eral lumbering forward "thirst...." He goes out to help as Eral collapses outside. She looks up at the moon and suffers convultions. Eral grasps Cog by the clothes and pulls him down too, Cog tries to escape but Eral is far too strong. Eral looks up with feral eyes and a mighty unibrow, growing larger, hunched and short claws and fangs before Cogs clothes rip and he is able to escape into his Cabin. He manages to close it and braces himself against it before He hears a collison and repetetive scratching against his door.

Cogs room contains, his shoes, his socks, his bed, a crossbeam to lock the door from this side, an attic.

Outside are Cog the glasser, who slept during the day. Garul and Revist, both still equiped for patrol duty. Everyone else is inside, probably in their bedroom, if they have one, in the hallway beds if they do not. Except Nirur who sleeps in his basement.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 01, 2010, 09:05:18 pm »

The unibrow. Oh god, the unibrow.

Anyway. Go get 'em, guys! Riversand, you have the breastplate and a shield, so you should be able to deal with them.
Irony, you're unarmed... Can you come and wake up the fortress so Nirur can kick some dwarven posterior (heh, that kind of rhymed)?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 01, 2010, 09:05:55 pm »

After somebody shouts me awake, I'll bar the the first-floor door, and head to the roof of the tower to see what the loud disturbance is. I'll then shoot at the werewolf repeatedly.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 01, 2010, 09:26:50 pm »

nows a good a time as any... so everyone gets a skillpoint if they gave a montage song during the last montage. extra style points to cog for having my favorite song. no extra points for cheddarius lol.

EDIT: screw waiting for other people full speed ahead (a little more at least)

"AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Cog the glassworker looks past his work with the statue, and hears the source of the howl. A Wh-wh-w-Wherewolf! It is now clawing furiously at a wooden door of the cabin. The Werecreature is between him and the fortress entrance he would never make it in time, but he remembers where Nirur went off to and runs back to the hatchway set into the floor of Tower1 and opens it up violently. Nirur is already up from the Blood curdling wail. He finishes loading his crossbow before going up. Takes a peek out and sees a huge werewolf battering at a door. It seems to grow in strength every second. He closes the door and bars it closed and makes his way to the roof...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:39:17 pm by Hastur »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 46