yes, montage me
- 5 (83.3%)
Ok, montage them
- 1 (16.7%)
i really would rather not montage one week
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46

Author Topic: Fortress Mode: the RPG (is it dead or what lol?)  (Read 34614 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Mode: the RPG (come play!)
« Reply #435 on: October 28, 2010, 10:41:12 am »

Hmmm. All right. Nirur, I'm going to make you a very strong foot-operated crossbow, okay?
Thank you, that should be useful.

Nirur proudly displayed his newest tools on the wall of the storeroom. They were mostly useless, of course, but he wondered how long it would take for somebody to point this out to him. A memorial to his younger siblings, who'd never get the chance to perfect their craft ...

As he left the store room later, he considered the faint scratching noises he heard echoing from the large staircase. He grabbed his crossbow, and started heading down. And down. And down. The scratching noises grew louder, and he carefully considered his options.
"Hello? Is anyone still alive down there?" More scratchings. He sighed, and went to get some stone to board up the stairs fifteen stories down. He hoped to both prevent anything from coming up, and to prevent the others from doing anything rash when he told them. Eldritch creatures were not to be trifled with without a large military force.

He'd never wanted much to do with the guard, but he supposed he'd better practice his marksmanship, at least until they had full-time guards and he could get back to his true calling.

Block off the stairway about fifteen stories down.
Try again to create some stone tools for the forge.
Spend remaining time training with a crossbow.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 28, 2010, 02:29:59 pm »

Atop a hill overlooking the fortress entrance stands Cog. He is surveying the immidiete area of his cabin in relation to everything else and begins making note of the slight geographical surface features on a slip of paper. He then begins making plans for a small two room cabin with a fence. A small bedroom attached to a larger cooking/living space. He has big plans for this bit of land. First order of business; gather some lumberjacks.

Cog is now making his way around the interior of the fortress looking for dwarves who can use an axe. He finds one/a few dwarves who are willing to cut a few trees for him. He leads them to the outside of the fortress and into the swamp a bit, looking for suitable trees. Cog and the lumberjack(s) clear a few trees and drag them back. The messy business over, he begins looking for a dwarf skilled in the art of carpentry.

One/a few carpenters are willing to help. Cog brings him/her/them to the outside of the fortress and to the site of his small dwelling. He breifs them and shows them his designs. Over the course of the next few weeks, the dwarves work whenever they have time on the cabin.

Cabin Plans:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:32:25 pm by Labs »
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 28, 2010, 03:11:30 pm »

Sorry I have not posted in a while just got break from school. Wow we murdered those gots. As for my actions i will spend 1 8 hour shift guarding the fort, 1 8 hour shift building a practice range for archery and my last shift i will eat drink and sleep (Oh and vividly dream of happy thoughts liking killing elves with my bare hands) i will do this the whole montage each day :) :)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 28, 2010, 07:48:52 pm »

Labs, are you sure you'll be able to find a woodcutter who'll help you? Eral (Ukrainian Ranger) is our only woodcutter. He hasn't posted here for nearly four months, and he hasn't posted at all for a month.
I'll help you with the carpentry, though. And we have some wood.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 28, 2010, 08:06:10 pm »

Cheddarius eats and drinks good food and drink all week to supplement his hard work. Ready to defend the fortress from attack, he goes to the stock room, grabbing a copper battle-axe to cut down enemies. He takes three wooden javelins from the defeated goat-men and keeps them nearby, hoping to have a ranged option so that he can skewer goblins before rushing into the fray. He also grabs a glass dagger in case he loses his axe or wants to stealthily cut a foe's throat, ready to battle without honor or humanity. He spends one shift making a very strong foot-operated crossbow. He pounds at the iron, furiously beating out the shape of the crossbow, knowing that the fortress could soon go to war and that when the dwarves must fight to the death, Nirur will need a powerful weapon in the moment to fight. Immediately after working on the crossbow, he spends a shift manufacturing ammunition for it, carving bone bolts to pierce the hated enemies through in the hour of destiny. He then spends six shifts churning out fine iron breastplates to protect the dwarves from attack. With the strong new armor, the dwarves will be able to keep fighting after the storm of darts and other projectiles that the goat-men use. Seeing that Cog needs help building his cabin, he goes over to help. When his shift is over, he admires his labor. His and Lab's construction stands out starkly against the horizon, a seam between heaven and earth. Finally, he spends a shift building the wall, making it thick enough so that dwarves can more comfortably stand on it, making it higher, and building fortifications for dwarves to fire through in case of a siege.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 30, 2010, 06:45:55 pm »

Cog Bloatspheres ("the other Cog") works double shifts and eats quality food, hoping to accomplish as much as he can.

Cue Montage

First, he requests another dwarf make him a leather bag. If no one is able or willing, he does this himself. Repeat with wooden bucket, barrel, and blocks.

Next, he makes an ashery using the bucket, blocks, and barrel he just made/requested/found.
He then makes a kiln as well.

After that, he gathers the necessary sand, creates the necessary charcoal and pearlash, and creates a clear glass statue of himself (or anyone or thing, really).

He spends the rest of the available time burning charcoal, collecting sand, and fashioning it into raw green glass.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 30, 2010, 07:37:06 pm »

Day 27,28,29,30, and 31

A Migrant has arrived!

Garul builds entrance doors suitable for a dwarven fortress, and smelts soem ore from the stocks, otherwise he recuperates and rests, some would criticize him, but his mood profits. (+2levers +1door -4 mechanisms -2 levers -2 doors -16 iron ore +16 iron bars, free time +++ hearty eating++)

Nirur Walls off the lower hospital. He notices a miasmatic hint of decay emenating from below as he works. He completes the wall and puts it off his mind for a while, but checking back on it he notices it has been partially deconstructed. it is re-walled off and reinforced and smoothed, so that no dwarf could tamper with it later. He completes a fine set of blacksmithing tools, almost as good as a real set of metal tools. It'll do. And practices his marksmanship untill he ruins 30 bolts (*walled off hospital* +Stone Blacksmiths Toolset -30bolts)

Cheddarius completes a fine crossbow, every piece is sturdy and it shows in its reliable accuracy. His ironwork finishes 2 of the fine breastplates, but 4 are left to go, a softer metal would have gone faster, but iron is better than that. He carves bone bolts 40 of them. and builds the walls up a little higher, though a few strategicaly placed fortifications are completed in little time.(-1 iron +very strong iron foot-crossbow accurate -2 bone +40 bone bolts -6 iron bars +2 fine iron breastplate -8 rock +2nd story wall completion 8/32% done +wall fortifications.

Cogs cabin is built up, an attic is added, a door is installed, a fence is erected, and an entrance alcove is built. (upgrades cabin, adds attic)

The other Cog (Cog the glassmaker) is welcomed into the fortress, dwarves bustle to and fro focused on their tasks. They seem helpful though and bring him his requested materials before days end. With building materials in hand he looks about for any empty space to put up his workshop. But is forced to place them outside the fortress walls. The surrounding swamplands are unfreindly to say the least. Before long he is gathering silt from the swamp with a spare 300$ fur fine bag. Regardless, he finishes a clear glass statue by days end (you may continue to contine to work on some projects, by keeping the end result in mind and taking extra time, by adding value to something this way you can create epic items or furniture, your skill influences limits and chance of failure. But i require exposition to add value this way, even if it merely menaces with spikes of something.) Later he raids the stocks when nobody is looking. And adds much coal and glass to the stocks. But he stops before burning the very last of the wood.( +7 charcoal +7 green glass -17 wood +1 clear statue of Cog -5 fish, Mood++)

Hrodegr 4 leather bags
Ochita mines 20 down, 20 towards under the swamp.
Revist creates 5 buckets 5barrels
Urist brews 20 fantastic Whip Wine(++)

Moods everyoen gets - for losing a fellow dwarf lately and - for being accosted by blood gnats
--Adwarf +Took joy in the slaughter -Has witnessed tragedy +Triumph
+Cheddarius +Satified at work recently
Cog +Made a satisfying aquisition lately
--Cog++ good food and eatery
--Eral??
---Garul +++Feasting ++Good eats +Satisfied at work
---Hrodegr +satisfaction
-----Nanothnir??
--Nirur +satisfied at work recently
+Ochita
--Revist+
--Urist+
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:24:17 pm by Hastur »

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 30, 2010, 08:16:55 pm »

A Room Update for end of day 31

Underground Rooms
Entrance Hallway
Masonry Room
Stock Room 5x5
Urist Bedroom 3x3
Cheddarius bedroom 3x3
Eral Bedroom 3x3
Hrodegr bedroom 1x3,+1
Garul Bedroom 3x3
Ochitas Smoothed Office 5x3
Ochita Smoothed Bedroom 3x3
Nanothnirs Bedroom 3x2
Lower Hospital *walled off*
Underground Farm to be Room 11x5
Mechanics room

Outside but Inside the perimiter wall
Tower 1 basement room
Tower 1 groundfloor room
Tower 2 basement
Trade Depot
Cogs Hut/bunker/cabin
Wood Burnery
Smeltery
Smithery
butchery workshop
tanners workshop
leatherworkers workshop
stonecrafter workshop
carpentry workshop
Really Far out there
Kiln
Ashery
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:26:29 pm by Hastur »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 30, 2010, 08:47:06 pm »

The status thing is still unfinished...
Also, I equipped some stuff, but it's still in the stock room (for example the three javelins).

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 31, 2010, 12:23:05 am »

your suggestions from earlier about weaponry are going into effect soon if nobody objects cheddarius, nobody but cog replied to your armament queries earlier much. Except i think i gave Nirur the crossbow already. I'll repost updated inventories if you want, or at least before it matters.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 31, 2010, 12:45:42 am »

Okay, thanks a bunch!
Did Nanothnir do anything these 5 days?

Nirur, River, you guys want those new breastplates? I'll take one of those copper ones, and Labs can take the other.
Nirur, could I have your crossbow since you're going to be getting the new one? If Nirur agrees, I will equip his wooden crossbow.
Nirur, Adwarf, I recommend you stock up on the new bone bolts. We have 40 left, so I think you each should have 15, and I'll take 10.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 31, 2010, 01:02:11 am »

What's the general shape/layout of the fort?

I'd also like a room to sleep and for my workshops, so if someone could either mine it out for me or forge me a pick I'd appreciate it...
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 31, 2010, 01:04:10 am »

http://yfrog.com/8dmagmasparklesj

hows this?

is this legible?
green line is swampline
black line is volcano edge
dark grey is dug out underground
light grey is masonry constructions, depot, perimiter wall, tower constructions
red is workshops outside
brown is wagon
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:06:21 am by Hastur »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 31, 2010, 01:09:26 am »

That's fine. It would be really helpful if you could label things, but it's not that important.
Hastur, to what extent can we influence the actions of the NPC's? For example, can I tell Ochita to mine for light stone, or can Irony tell him to mine some room for his stuff? Can I tell Nanothnir to plant more seeds?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 31, 2010, 01:12:05 am »

Ah, that's helpful. What do you mean by volcano edge?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46