Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 165

Author Topic: League of Legends  (Read 165633 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends
« Reply #1275 on: March 23, 2011, 02:27:50 am »

I'm going to translate your post.

"I don't know how to play certain types of characters and I just can't get the hang of them. However, instead of acknowleding that fact, I will blame Riot for not accomodating my individual needs. Clearly if I don't know how to play a class of character, there is something evidently wrong with that class even though there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of other players who excel while playing those characters and do remarkably well with them; such as a certain handsome and charming fellow by the name of Umiman."

I might have read in between the lines a bit. Oh man, I would prefer it if you were right though. Then that would mean I'm a ridiculously incredible player for being able to regularly dominate while being a useless support which does no damage, can't tank, and is always mana-starved. Pffft, two weak heals too. Who would ever play such a useless character? Oh wait, I AM a ridiculously incredible player. Phew... made me a bit worried there.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:06 am »

I'm going to translate your post.

"I don't know how to play certain types of characters and I just can't get the hang of them. However, instead of acknowleding that fact, I will blame Riot for not accomodating my individual needs. Clearly if I don't know how to play a class of character, there is something evidently wrong with that class even though there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of other players who excel while playing those characters and do remarkably well with them; such as a certain handsome and charming fellow by the name of Umiman."

I might have read in between the lines a bit. Oh man, I would prefer it if you were right though. Then that would mean I'm a ridiculously incredible player for being able to regularly dominate while being a useless support which does no damage, can't tank, and is always mana-starved. Pffft, two weak heals too. Who would ever play such a useless character? Oh wait, I AM a ridiculously incredible player. Phew... made me a bit worried there.

I can play any style of character and do well.  I don't really think I have a specialty.  I usually pick last to see what my team needs and then just hit random until I get a character that fits the role.  The only two characters I don't play are TF and Soraka, because I think they're incredibly underpowered currently.

I also don't think there's a single character in the game that doesn't do well under the right circumstances and with a good player supported by a good team.  Best teamwork ultimately wins.

However, there are certain characters that are innately less versatile, weak by the numbers, and all around less effective.  All other things equal, these characters are at a disadvantage against others.  And yes, Soraka's heals are weak.  Alistar and Sona's heals are weak, but spammable and low mana cost.  Taric can heal almost anybody up to full from nothing in one shot late game.  Just from what I've seen in-game, my impression is that Soraka's heals are about equal to Nidalee's, except she has two of them and one global... and she's one of the most mana hungry characters.  My wife mained Soraka for months, and not much about her has changed since then.

I also didn't mean to say that dps carries are useless.  They are incredibly dangerous snowballers.  Feed a yi, gangplank, tryndamere, xin, any ranged dps, etc, and the effect is more drastic than any other type of character getting fed.  The dynamics of the game are just designed to be stacked against this happening.  So you end up with a bunch of characters who are always either completely worthless, ridiculously powerful... or focus on being a minor nuisance with a frozen mallet.  I just don't like this flick-of-a-switch style balance.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 23, 2011, 05:14:48 am »

<--------- See avatar.

I'm a long time player of LoL (I was there in Open Beta), but I kinda stopped playing League about 2-3 weeks ago because I use an integrated graphics card, which Riot has said doesn't work well with League. In-game, the map tends to need to 'load' when I move the camera, meaning it'll freeze up for 3-5 seconds whenever I try to move the camera. It's highly annoying and makes it almost impossible to play.

As a side effect, even though my ping is generally great, it takes me much longer to load the game than other people. When the load screen boots up (about 10 seconds after the champ select screen goes off) almost everyone will be at 100% and I start at 0%  :-\

About a year ago, it didn't do that at all, and I could play fine. When it started happening, I trudged through and kinda got used to it. But I just couldn't handle the failure anymore.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:18:02 am by Krath »
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 23, 2011, 06:05:37 am »

Lux has a hard stun

I'm sorry but Lux has no hard stun, her first skill is a root, like Ryze's runic prison, which means you can still do stuff even if you can't move for a few seconds. When i play tristana and either Ryze or Lux root me, i usually fire explosive shot then my ulti to blast them away (i use the same combo on teemos when they inevitably rush at me with their blind, since blind only affects auto attacks, and they always lose much more hp than me so they learn to stop doing that  :P ).

Oh, and in my opinion, carries are not useless at all, in fact i found that it's very hard to win a game without a carry on your team, if the enemy knows what they're doing, even if you win teamfights. I play tristana a lot, and i often get the lower death score. The trick is, don't expose yourself to damage and abuse your range and speed for hit and run tactics. If the enemy focuses you, just run away while your team kills them. Sometimes i get chased so much that they end up killing me, but losing all of their team in the process. If you fear assassins, just stay close to your tank or any teammate with a stun.

Krath> If you want to play games on a computer, you should have a graphics card, really (well, unless you only play oldies, roguelikes and flash games).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:18:54 am by Sirian »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 23, 2011, 01:01:31 pm »

Not all carries are ranged you know.And i've found that those that are not really suck unless they are fed like tyrind or yi, the ones that do much better regardless of that are tanky deeps like jax or renekton as they have crazy damage even without many items and are beefy enough to not suck if they lack said items.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 23, 2011, 02:17:33 pm »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 23, 2011, 02:36:08 pm »

I wish my games where that fun...

Like I've said before, get some friends together and go to town.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 23, 2011, 02:42:54 pm »

I wish my games where that fun...
Like I've said before, get some friends together and go to town.
Not enough friends, or at least none that would be willing to play.
Let's see what university brings...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 23, 2011, 03:11:09 pm »

Well you always have us, but we're mostly on the US server i think and getting a few games over the weekend shouldn't be much of a problem
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 23, 2011, 03:12:02 pm »

Come to the EU server Mindmaker, we shall play with you. But I highly suggest getting skype and adding us, voice comms are essential to play LoL properly.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 23, 2011, 03:35:54 pm »

Come to the EU server Mindmaker, we shall play with you. But I highly suggest getting skype and adding us, voice comms are essential to play LoL properly.

And certainly more fun.
Well, if you're willing to accept me...

Will just need to reinstall it first.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 23, 2011, 05:25:23 pm »

reinstall it first

THEY HAVE YOU NOW
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 23, 2011, 05:34:10 pm »

reinstall it first

THEY HAVE YOU NOW

I know. I've sold my soul to them, by accepting the agreement, you get at the beginning.
Stupid earnable stuff. I'd feel bad about abandoning my "work".
Maybe this "work" starts getting fun now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:36:45 pm by Mindmaker »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 23, 2011, 05:40:32 pm »

get into 1600 elo, all the noobs magically disappear XD

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 23, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »

I don't believe that.

Oh, fun fact: I got to 1261 but then got dragged down by being paired with shit like a Tank Kennen. Now I'm back to 1257 because of being matched AGAINST players like that.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 165