Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: RTD: Hell Desk  (Read 44015 times)

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD: Hell Desk
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2010, 11:36:16 pm »

I'll also go to the server floor.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2010, 10:49:35 am »

Ride the elevator to a server floor.
Try again, continue to keep a safe distance.
While following Frelock.

WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2010, 02:24:10 pm »

THAT MUST HAPPEN!
Eh?
Eh!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2010, 07:24:09 pm »

Nuker: Continue to fix!
Noctis: Try again, continue to keep a safe distance.
Frelock: Ride the elevator to a server floor.
Toaster: Head with Frelock while wiring the instrument frame to the exoskeleton.
Qwertyuiopas: Locate a portable computer.
Flintus: I'll also go to the server floor.

Nuker: 1

Seeing as no-one is left injured, you decide to just inject yourself with opiate painkillers. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea...

Noctis: 5

You tie some of the cable Nuker found around your waist and climb out a hatch on the bottom of the elevator. Frelock holds the cable. Probably shouldn't EMP him again...
You manage to configure your cell phone so that it can perform magnetic resonance imaging. You'll need to find an MRI machine to stimulate the particles, however.

Frelock: 3

Your power armor comes back online, and you walk over to the elevator. You punch in the floor number of a database server.
The robot hefts his power source over his shoulder once again and trots into the elevator.

Toaster: 2

You still can't seem to wire your music device to anything.
You get into the elevator.

Qwertyuiopas: 1

You fail to find anything. Toaster drags you to the elevator.

Flintus: 5

Okay.

Power:

Radium Cell (Qwertyuiopas)
Practically infinite, 100 units available (12V)

Flashlight (Noctis)
495 units (2 D-cells, 1.5V)

Flashlight (Toaster)

ColdHeat (Frelock)
49 units (1 AA rechargeable, 1.5V)

ColdHeat (Nuker)

Multifunction Calculator & Battery Charger

Not connected to AC power.
2000 units (Rechargeable, 12V)

Health:

All players in good health.

Inventory:

Frelock: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, multifunction calculator/battery charger, Swiss Army Knife, ColdHeat, Battery, Universal Screwdriver, hand-crank recharger, solar recharger.
+1 Hardware & Network maintenance
+1 Basic Electronics and Soldering
+1 Improvisation
Power Armor (+1 to lifting, renders limb breakage irrelevant, non-AP projectiles autofail)
Electromagnet attachments (Allows climbing metal walls at the cost of 400 units of power per meter, +1 to lifting metal objects)

Toaster: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Wooden LART, power drill, cat5, jar of thermite, speaker wire, compu-helmet, lightweight exoskeleton.
+1 Programming/scripting
+3 Observance (+1 without helmet)
+1 Melee weapons (Includes Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool)
+1 Dodge/Travel

NoctisVampire: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Swiss Army Knife(capable of forming any implement the size of a shortsword).
+1 Programming/Scripting
+1 Improvisation
+1 Charisma/personality

Flintus10: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Walther P99, Universal Screwdriver, very old label maker, 20 meters of steel cable, cyborg implants.
+1 Lockpicking
+1 Hardware and network maintenance
+1 Handguns
-1 Movement/Dodge
+1 blade resistance, blunt resistance (chest, legs).

Nuker w: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, ColdHeat, Battery, Universal Screwdriver, medkit, Anarchist's Home Companion (+1 to explosives mixing).

+1 Hardware & network maintenance
+1 Programing/scripting
+1 Basic Electronics & Soldering
+2 Basic Chemistry
Morphine in system: -1 to coordinated or mental tasks, +3 to pain and PSI resistance.

Qwertyuiopas: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Swiss Army Knife, Universal Screwdriver, radium cell.
+1 Programming/scripting
+1 Hardware & network maintenance (comes with a Universal Screwdriver)
+1 Improvisation (includes Futuristic Swiss Army Knife)
Leg broken, using external support (-2 to running and dodging)

*DING*
The elevator arrives at the server room. This server is responsible for holding information about the company's projects. Schematics, blueprints, test sites, payroll data. It's all in here.
Because of this, this server is heavily guarded. Two specialized guardbots block the door. They train their miniguns on the party.

Bot 1: "This area is restricted. Provide authorization."
Noctis shows them his ID. Convince check: 3+1=4.
Bot 1: "Processing... Accepted."
They let you past, looking suspicious of Frelock's powered armor.

The server room is similar in size to the print server, but the racks are taller and the blades are more powerful. A crew of maintenance bots roam around the room. They are a more recent version of the robot that is following the party.

A voice emanates from the PA system.
"This is Adalf, the highest ranking AI I am aware of at this time. Under the International Computer Prerogative Standard of 2056, I have taken control of this locality. As of this moment, I am attempting to ascertain the nature of the emergency at hand and gain access to the building's sensor systems. Any personnel who are capable of doing so, please attempt to assist me. The more information I have, the more help I can be."
"Please do not leave the building until I have deemed it safe to do so, and do not interfere with the operation of any security or maintenance robots you come across."

I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »

>Assist
Eh?
Eh!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 27, 2010, 09:22:53 pm »

Look through the files of any secret projects our seemingly normal company was working on!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 27, 2010, 10:45:14 pm »

Hop on an empty terminal and parse through logs to see what this Adalf chap has been up to.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2010, 12:32:03 am »

Make a program to check the recent activities, and retrieve information about Adalf.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2010, 04:04:03 am »

Am I also in the server room right now?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2010, 05:55:27 am »

Am I also in the server room right now?

Yes. I make an effort to keep the party all in one group unless there's a definite "LETS SPLIT UP GANG" moment.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2010, 02:34:49 pm »

Qwertyuiopas: Assist
Flintus10: Look through the files of any secret projects our seemingly normal company was working on!
Toaster: Hop on an empty terminal and parse through logs to see what this Adalf chap has been up to.
Noctis: Make a program to check the recent activities, and retrieve information about Adalf.
Nuker: Help unlock stuff for Adalf.
Frelock: Override hardware interlocks and stuff

Qwertyuiopas: 4+1=5

You sift through the building's mainframes and switch off the security locks that triggered when the power went off.
Hey, if the power is off, what's running these computers anyway? Must be a generator in the basement or something.

Flintus10: 6+1=7 (fffffffff... Well, actually, this makes things easier for me :D)

You begin bashing at the server's security systems, both figuratively and literally.

The company you work for, Migasoft Cybernetics, is known for it's extensive lineup of personal service robots. Migasoft has gained some reputation for making machines that serve well as impromptu killing machines, even simple floor-cleaners have been known to dismember intruders with minimal difficulty.
Apparently, the rumors of Migasoft working for the DOD aren't totally unfounded. Most Migasoft 'bots are based upon the same basic actuator structure and neural pattern. Explains how two robot butlers can bisect an armed thug, I suppose.

You now have working knowledge of the hardware and software vulnerabilities of Migasoft products, as well as their entire lineup of robots and AIs.

This "Adalf" fellow is an AI controller for some sort of super-duper VR game that the company has been working on. Revilutionary new particle physics simulation technology and stuff. A massively multiplayer game engine, with super-realistic phyisics. The "Adalf" AI is supposed to serve as some sort of administrator, coordinating the game and directing maintenance tasks.

You gain some skill at unauthorised data access.

Your activities did not go unnoticed.

Guardbot 1: "Unautorized access detected. Unauthorized access detected. Attaining permission to use lethal force... Mainframe offline. Defaulting to positive authorization."
Guardbot 2: "Locked on targets. Spinning up..."

Toaster: 1

You get on a terminal and begin poking around. You don't have much of an idea what you're doing. You trigger a security alert!
One of the guardbots is aiming it's minigun at you, and preparing to fire!

Noctis: 4+1=5

You put together a log-reader and begin reading logs. Adalf broke containment about half an hour ago (in an emergency situation such as this, the most advanced AI present is given temporary legal immunity and is to take command of the situation and attempt to prevent loss of life or property). Since then, he has been commandeering computer systems to expand his processing power and attempting to gain situational information.

Nuker: 4-1+1=4

You open up some database servers for Adalf to expand into. Despite your painkiller-addled haze, you're skilled enough to do this with reasonable efficacy.

Frelock: 4+1=5

You open some holes in some firewalls.

Someone triggered a security alert...

Power:

Radium Cell (Qwertyuiopas)
Practically infinite, 100 units available (12V)

Flashlight (Noctis)

Flashlight (Toaster)

ColdHeat (Frelock)

ColdHeat (Nuker)

Multifunction Calculator & Battery Charger

Not connected to AC power.
2000 units (Rechargeable, 12V)

Health:

All players in good health.

Inventory:

Frelock: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, multifunction calculator/battery charger, Swiss Army Knife, ColdHeat, Battery, Universal Screwdriver, hand-crank recharger, solar recharger.
+1 Hardware & Network maintenance
+1 Basic Electronics and Soldering
+1 Improvisation
Power Armor (+1 to lifting, renders limb breakage irrelevant, non-AP projectiles autofail)
Electromagnet attachments (Allows climbing metal walls at the cost of 400 units of power per meter, +1 to lifting metal objects)

Toaster: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Wooden LART, power drill, cat5, jar of thermite, speaker wire, compu-helmet, lightweight exoskeleton.
+1 Programming/scripting
+3 Observance (+1 without helmet)
+1 Melee weapons (Includes Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool)
+1 Dodge/Travel

NoctisVampire: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Swiss Army Knife(capable of forming any implement the size of a shortsword).
+1 Programming/Scripting
+1 Improvisation
+1 Charisma/personality

Flintus10: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Walther P99, Universal Screwdriver, very old label maker, 20 meters of steel cable, cyborg implants.
+1 Lockpicking
+1 Hardware and network maintenance
+1 Handguns
-1 Movement/Dodge
+1 blade resistance, blunt resistance (chest, legs).
+1 unauthorized data access
+1 attacking Migasoft robots

Nuker w: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, ColdHeat, Battery, Universal Screwdriver, medkit, Anarchist's Home Companion (+1 to explosives mixing).

+1 Hardware & network maintenance
+1 Programing/scripting
+1 Basic Electronics & Soldering
+2 Basic Chemistry
Morphine in system: -1 to coordinated or mental tasks, +3 to pain and PSI resistance.

Qwertyuiopas: Tie, Cellphone, Two pens, Swiss Army Knife, Universal Screwdriver, radium cell.
+1 Programming/scripting
+1 Hardware & network maintenance (comes with a Universal Screwdriver)
+1 Improvisation (includes Futuristic Swiss Army Knife)
Leg broken, using external support (-2 to running and dodging)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2010, 05:47:37 pm »

>Create a program that acts as a universal monitor and control system, specially designed to allow realtime status and control of any connected server, even connected over the network. Assuming that the servers already have such functionality available, this would just be an interface to all of them at once...
Eh?
Eh!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2010, 08:22:22 pm »

Oopsie!

I dodge behind a server rack, and look for a way to disable the bot.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2010, 09:09:54 pm »

"Cover me!"

Program a security override to make all the robots stand down, and transmit the program to all robots wirelessly with my cellphone.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2010, 11:37:52 pm »

Fire some shots to keep the bots at bay while the others try to disable them.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32