Poll

Where do you place your taskbar?

Top of the screen
Bottom of the screen
Left of the screen
Right of the screen
Nowhere (???)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Where do you place your taskbar?  (Read 2262 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you place your taskbar?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:24 am »

I run the Emerge Desktop shell, so I have lots of options! For me, the best place for the tray is in the middle left edge, and the best place for the window-changer is in the top right corner, above the menus. I don't have a start button--I use Launchy for that. Thing never bugs out on me, save in some sort of complete system meltdown.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 07:21:27 pm »

Bottom because i dont have special snowflake syndrome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 11:53:57 pm »

Wait, no, i'm not surprised at all... this is the same company that's overhauled the UI for office for no discernible reason... as long as they don't try to slap a "ribbon" onto notepad...
Another good reason to ignore Office for OpenOffice. looks almost the same as Word, but without confusing everyone by fixing what ain't broke. (though I'll admit the MSPaint ribbon is actually more useful than the original MSPaint)

As for taskbars, I leave it hiding on the bottom, because I'm too lazy to have it one way on here and another way everywhere else.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 12:11:32 am »

Huh, revived thread about desktop settings?  Don't mind if I do.

Since I've been using Windows since 3.1, I've always preferred the simplest default settings.  Except of course the simple settings aren't default anymore.  So, anyway, taskbar at the bottom, unhidden.  I did use the Hidden option back when it first appeared, but I remember it screwing with games; like if I moved the mouse way down, the taskbar would pop-up in game and make the screen flicker or something.  I forget really, but I never used it again.  Or mouse-trails.  I even set my taskbar to Classic mode, with the old icons and no shortcuts and the no hidden application buttons, and a stark blue/gray color scheme so it looks as much like Windows 95 as possible.

After reformatting a couple weeks ago, I haven't bothered to pick a new background image, so it's just that ugly BIOS teal color.  The antiseptic quality is growing on me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 12:16:42 am »

I'm not even sure what to call that. But to some extent I did the same. Only the BG is nothing sacred to me and I change it all the time. Everything else is set to the Windows XP defaults.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 12:46:24 am »

I'm not even sure what to call that. But to some extent I did the same. Only the BG is nothing sacred to me and I change it all the time. Everything else is set to the Windows XP defaults.

XP defaults =/= Windows classic

at first i kept XP's start menu set to classic, but i've gotten used to the new one

@Aquzzar: you know Program Manager's still around? I know for sure it was still in 98, not sure about XP or Vista (it is gone in Win7-x64). and in 9x it's trivial to have it replace explore as the desktop shell, only thing you can't do is make windows minimize to desktop icons (and there's probably a freeware app to do that)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 01:55:41 am »

XP defaults =/= Windows classic
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 02:09:56 am »

I turned off the Themes service. I think that's what it's called. So my desktop looks pretty basic I guess. Taskbar at the bottom.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 04:28:47 pm »

…task bar?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 04:30:54 pm »

Both on top, always visible, and on bottom, hidden. Yes two taskbar.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 04:49:09 pm »

I have taskbar at the bottom, and though I'm running W7 I have settings as close to 2000 as possible. I understand people who say they like it at the top because all the individual window controls are at the top as well, but if I don't have something at the bottom the screen feels improperly framed. Even when I use my second monitor, the lack of a taskbar disturbs me a lot. I don't like a window touching the bottom of the screen :|

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 04:57:35 pm »

…task bar?

0_o just what are we looking at here? I'm not familiar with Arch... It looks almost like a full screen shell with a background image...

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 05:05:21 pm »

0_o just what are we looking at here? I'm not familiar with Arch... It looks almost like a full screen shell with a background image...

Yep, that it is. You don't have a set desktop environment in Arch, and I was yet to lazy to make my own taskbar, so I posted what I could… :/  Xmonad as a WM, translucent shell with some prompt, no bar.

Bar will go to the top though.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 06:19:14 pm »

Bottom, unhidden. For somereason having it hidden bothers the hell out of me.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 07:00:10 pm »

Yep, that it is. You don't have a set desktop environment in Arch, and I was yet to lazy to make my own taskbar, so I posted what I could… :/  Xmonad as a WM, translucent shell with some prompt, no bar.

Bar will go to the top though.

Cool... I need to get back into tinkering with linux...
Pages: 1 [2] 3