Poll

Where do you place your taskbar?

Top of the screen
Bottom of the screen
Left of the screen
Right of the screen
Nowhere (???)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Where do you place your taskbar?  (Read 2259 times)

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where do you place your taskbar?
« on: May 21, 2010, 07:43:07 pm »

I like keeping it on the bottom of my screen, but I'm trying it out on the top right now. I'm pretty much just interested in what you guys do.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you place your taskbar?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 07:48:28 pm »

I keep my dock on the right, and hidden. It allows me to get the max in term of horizontal  length, which I like and with it being hidden on the left, it doesn't eat up desktop space at all.

I generally rest my mouse point near the bottom of the screen for no real reason.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:21:39 pm »

Bottom of the screen and hidden. Works rather well.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:04:14 pm »

PC- Bottom
Mac- Top with dock on bottom.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:02:26 pm »

Bottom, I've tried the auto-hide thing, but keep disabling it... Can't rightly remember why...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 10:10:56 pm »

At the top... if you think about it, all your menus and everything are up top.  It's less mousing around.  I move my Windows work PC up top, my Linux home PCs I use Gnome and remove the bottom bar, putting my task list in the top bar.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:37:02 pm »

I keep mine at the top, hidden.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:52 pm »

Bottom, because I hate change.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:06:45 am »

Hi!

Besides some early Macintosh machines at my school, my first GUI was GEOS. Thus, for me, pull-down menus ought to be at the top of the window/screen. Thus, I also place the taskbar at the top of the screen.

However, that is not completely without problems, as many amateur titles (and also DF in windowed mode) default to a position that places their title bar behind the taskbar and thus inaccessible (gets resolved when you have resizable windows as any click at the frame will correct the position).

Still, it seems that top task bars are a frequent victim of negligent programming (T_T)

Deathworks

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 04:14:50 am »

I'm kinda surprised that there isn't some code in windows to handle that case... IMNSHO that's the job of the window manager to fix... i wouldn't think it'd be hard...

Wait, no, i'm not surprised at all... this is the same company that's overhauled the UI for office for no discernible reason... as long as they don't try to slap a "ribbon" onto notepad...

I should take some of that back, I do rather like Win7.

I should really go to bed... sleep deprivation does odd things to your mind...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 04:47:48 am »

I keep mine on the right, both on my Mac and my new Windows machine.
Hidden, icons as small as possible.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 07:46:17 am »

Wait, no, i'm not surprised at all... this is the same company that's overhauled the UI for office for no discernible reason... as long as they don't try to slap a "ribbon" onto notepad...

I hated this at first (especially because I'm on a netbook and it takes up almost a fourth of my screen >_>) but now I kind of like it because it has made some things easier to access.
I also hate how they made me use Windows 7 Starter just because I have a netbook. I'm pondering whether I should pay the $80 to move up...Starter seems to work well for me and the only real advantage to a better Windows 7 would be the ability to change my desktop. I have so many wallpapers I want to use :(
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 07:50:53 am »

On the bottom, unhidden. That comforting little bar of stability will always be there. Will always stand by you when everybody else and every other program has gone awry. It will never bug out on you, never crash on you, never leave you...

I... I love you taskbar.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 08:45:29 am »

On the bottom, unhidden. That comforting little bar of stability will always be there. Will always stand by you when everybody else and every other program has gone awry. It will never bug out on you, never crash on you, never leave you...

I... I love you taskbar.
I've had mine leave me before... but that was because I accidentally hit end task on the explorer.exe process.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 09:15:37 am »

Killing off explorer is a useful action, if you know what you are doing. Especially if you know how to restart it(start explorer.exe, however you want).
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: [1] 2 3