Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979050 times)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v13] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Tileset update & bugfixes.)
« Reply #1095 on: April 21, 2011, 05:30:08 pm »

Wow Phoebus you're on a roll!  Been loving all the updates, thanks for all the awesomeness.  Your tileset greatly improves my DF experience.  :P

Just wanted to chime in to agree with Aydjile, I'd like to see a version with just textures and no dots for regular, non-economic stones.  I think I'd probably play with that version if it were available as it would look cleaner, less cluttered.

--nomad_delta
And, what do you think about this?

It's all non-economic stone.
Dark: Basalt (extrusive)
Bright: Alunine (non-layer)

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 21, 2011, 05:54:29 pm »

I like that look a lot. Makes for a very clean feeling fort even before smoothing/engraving. Now that I feel I have enough experience with DF to tell the difference between stones I might switch over to a tileset like this.

Aydjile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 21, 2011, 06:27:23 pm »

I like that look a lot. Makes for a very clean feeling fort even before smoothing/engraving.

i concur.
and the last small detail would be - to remove the separation lines between tiles  and it would perfect and seamless!
Reality exists is only in our imagination.

Мой канал о жизни крепостей из Дварф Фортресс - https://www.youtube.com/user/Aydjile

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 21, 2011, 06:30:05 pm »

Is it possible to get layer stones working as the background of it, with inclusions and stuff within that layer stone as veins or impurities rendered on top of it through foreground/background variation?

Something like this is possible with Stonesense, where when you have a vein of ore within a layer, you can see the layer stone as the background color and the ore as the foreground color (making gold within dark stone almost too beautiful to mine)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 21, 2011, 06:34:43 pm »

I agree removing the dot for non-economic stones it makes things look nice. I don't really have a preference between keeping it or removing the dot, however. ;)

Removing the lines between tiles, unfortunately, causes some issues with "readability", not to mention it makes items like the trade depot look odd.

BTW, I've been working on a floor pattern that gives the plus while still looking like a tiled stone floor.  Its not quite what I was originally going for, but I like it.  The problem is I think its missing something and I can't quite figure out what isn't right about it, so I thought I'd post it for other opinions.  Here is the floor tile graphic (in GIMP .xcf layered format).  The all black and all white layers are just to allow me to see what it looks like with colored backgrounds.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 21, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »

I like that look a lot. Makes for a very clean feeling fort even before smoothing/engraving. Now that I feel I have enough experience with DF to tell the difference between stones I might switch over to a tileset like this.

Same here, I likes it!  I can definitely see though that especially for new players it makes sense to have a clear delineation between "sand/soil" tiles and "stone" tiles so I agree about having the dots be the default.  It's a pretty minor difference, the "dots" version looks good too but the "no-dots" version feels a lot more natural and ambient.

--nomad_delta

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 21, 2011, 07:25:47 pm »

I like that look a lot. Makes for a very clean feeling fort even before smoothing/engraving.

i concur.
and the last small detail would be - to remove the separation lines between tiles  and it would perfect and seamless!
You should really try the meld tileset.

Is it possible to get layer stones working as the background of it, with inclusions and stuff within that layer stone as veins or impurities rendered on top of it through foreground/background variation?

Something like this is possible with Stonesense, where when you have a vein of ore within a layer, you can see the layer stone as the background color and the ore as the foreground color (making gold within dark stone almost too beautiful to mine)
Not possible. Unless I try to hardcode vein/cluster stones to a specific layer graphic (which I probably should, +1 tile. :P )

I agree removing the dot for non-economic stones it makes things look nice. I don't really have a preference between keeping it or removing the dot, however. ;)

Removing the lines between tiles, unfortunately, causes some issues with "readability", not to mention it makes items like the trade depot look odd.

BTW, I've been working on a floor pattern that gives the plus while still looking like a tiled stone floor.  Its not quite what I was originally going for, but I like it.  The problem is I think its missing something and I can't quite figure out what isn't right about it, so I thought I'd post it for other opinions.  Here is the floor tile graphic (in GIMP .xcf layered format).  The all black and all white layers are just to allow me to see what it looks like with colored backgrounds.
An important note. The tile needs a + as a foreground color (when it's not engraved) as the background is black when it's used as quality symbol or text.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:31:47 pm by Phoebus »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 21, 2011, 07:30:43 pm »

I rather like the concept that one can't tell if a rock is sandstone or just sand until you go up and examine it more closely.  After all, what's really the different between sand and sandstone? They shouldn't look all that different from a distance (if there really is a functional difference, at all)

Hmm, I should probably see if I can somehow mod sandstone to be used in glassmaking.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 21, 2011, 07:37:04 pm »

I rather like the concept that one can't tell if a rock is sandstone or just sand until you go up and examine it more closely.  After all, what's really the different between sand and sandstone? They shouldn't look all that different from a distance (if there really is a functional difference, at all)

Hmm, I should probably see if I can somehow mod sandstone to be used in glassmaking.
I think glassmaking is currently very hardcoded.
AFAIK, the only tags related to glassmaking are [SAND] and [CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE].
And I don't think it's too wise to allow sandstone to be turned into crystal glass. :P

Edit.: Unrelated mood: NAKED MOD!   :o
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:40:47 pm by Phoebus »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 21, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »

Yeah sandstone should produce common green glass, if anything.  I wish that were controllable.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 21, 2011, 09:42:15 pm »

An important note. The tile needs a + as a foreground color (when it's not engraved) as the background is black when it's used as quality symbol or text.
D'oh!  I just knew I was doing something wrong with this one.  That's what I get for doing that kind of work 10 minutes after climbing out of bed.  :-[  Other than having the usage inverted, what did you think of it?
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 21, 2011, 11:07:52 pm »

D'oh!  I just knew I was doing something wrong with this one.  That's what I get for doing that kind of work 10 minutes after climbing out of bed.  :-[  Other than having the usage inverted, what did you think of it?
Basic design is good, but too high contrast, and the emboss values are strange. Contrast is easy to fix.

Edit:
The original emboss ratios are 150%/50%/50%/0% which makes the emboss look very weird.
If you balance the ratios to 200%/133%/67%/0% or 200%/150%/50%/0%, the tiles look much better, :

Edit: My attempts to make my version look more convex/less concave.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I think I got it. I've made the grooves 15% darker.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:06:44 am by Phoebus »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 22, 2011, 12:16:27 am »

Mmm.  It looks smooth, yet technical.  Clean, yet complicated.

My only gripe is it looks TOO clean, almost machined.  And while I like Dwarfy machines, I don't think it quite fits.

The lower contrast ones look like cobblestones, tho.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 22, 2011, 12:24:40 am »

quick question: what button does the stockpile grid icon represent? (default set)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 22, 2011, 01:05:43 am »

Basic design is good, but too high contrast, and the emboss values are strange. Contrast is easy to fix.

Edit:
The original emboss ratios are 150%/50%/50%/0% which makes the emboss look very weird.
If you balance the ratios to 200%/133%/67%/0% or 200%/150%/50%/0%, the tiles look much better, :

Edit: My attempts to make my version look more convex/less concave.

Edit: I think I got it. I've made the grooves 15% darker.
I think I've fixed it.  Try this one (I've overwritten the old one on my site). ;)

[edit]Argh!  The background comes out grey with a colored + on it instead of being all the stone color (hiding the +) when engraved.  I just can't seem to brain this week when it comes to art. :(
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:30:00 am by krenshala »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 140