Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212138 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1335 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:18 pm »

I have to say it is kind of funny...

In that no matter what you do in Fallout New Vegas... things just end up worse to the extent where you might as well stayed home. (another reason why Fallout 3 is the superior game!)

I mean people joke about games where you might as well stayed home all the time... but Fallout New Vegas is exactly that.

Things were FAR better when the three people were just in a continuous unwinnable war with each other.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 03, 2015, 12:35:59 pm »

House was also the smartest option.

Well if you ignore the whole effect of the entire NCR collapsing because of it... And that the Legion will persist...

Why on earth would the NCR collapse simply from not controlling the Las Vegas metropolitan area? Which they haven't even been in for very long anyway.

As for the Legion, House has plenty of heavily armed killer robots to keep them away from the area.

In that no matter what you do in Fallout New Vegas... things just end up worse to the extent where you might as well stayed home. (another reason why Fallout 3 is the superior game!)

I mean people joke about games where you might as well stayed home all the time... but Fallout New Vegas is exactly that.

Things were FAR better when the three people were just in a continuous unwinnable war with each other.

I would say that siding with Mr.House is the status-quo option; except for the removal of the Legion and the transfer of Hoover Dam and McCarren Airport things remain largely as they were.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:42:08 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 03, 2015, 12:38:50 pm »

I still wouldn't see the Legion killing kids though; better kidnap and indoctrinate them if young enough, enslave those who aren't. So yeah, that goes into cartoonish evil territory.
I didn't know The Ottoman Empire was cartoonishly evil...

Also, what happens to the Legion when Caesar dies? He pretty much seems like the sole unifying factor to the whole thing. Civil war would be my guess. In fact, the Legion seems to be pretty much well on track to a major civil war whenever an even slightly weak leader takes the throne.

That's why I assassinate him in every playthrough.

(but I also redirect the nukes from Lonesome Road at the Legion, just to make sure)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 03, 2015, 12:43:24 pm »

Well if you ignore the whole effect of the entire NCR collapsing because of it... And that the Legion will persist...

And millions will die after the NCR collapse...

And the whole Enclave thing.

It might be the smartest option but it comes at the biggest price.

Honestly nothing goes right for this location pretty much period.
Hey, choice is choice even if between entirely shit and dyssentery.  :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 03, 2015, 12:46:21 pm »

And millions will die after the NCR collapse...

And the whole Enclave thing.

It might be the smartest option but it comes at the biggest price.

Honestly nothing goes right for this location pretty much period.

How do you figure most of that?  The NCR doesn't need the Mojave for anything except the electricity, and even that's a debatable "need".  The NCR has survived and expanded rapidly before it ever reached this area.

I haven't seen the Legion ending, maybe it involves the Legion invading and conquering the NCR, but that's completely ridiculous...

For one thing, the supply lines just aren't there.  As you can explain to the Legate with high barter, the complex economy of the NCR states wouldn't allow the Legion army to supply itself from conquered towns.  The towns rely on each other just to survive (The NCR's "weakness" being their greatest defense).  The Legion was able to conquer the East because every village was a self-sufficient community.  To do the same in the West, the Legion would have to do more than overwhelm a single Dam out in the desert...  It would need to blitzkrieg the entire NCR home area.  Which it plainly lacks the power to do.

The Legate also admits that the war *just for the dam* has demanded dangerous amounts of manpower from the East.  With Caesar on campaign (and soon dead), the remaining patrols are needed to violently keep the various (again, self-sufficient) tribal communities in line.  They don't have reinforcements to overwhelm California with, and if they try they'll collapse.

Besides all that...  A free or House-run New Vegas isn't even bad news for the NCR.  It's the *status quo*.  House explains that New Vegas gets plenty of electricity despite shipping 90% or more off to the West.  He has no reason not to continue trading electricity and entertainment for military protection.  Even after the Legion falls apart and his securitrons are upgraded, he still needs the NCR...  Because they have the people and infrastructure to fulfill his stated dreams of rebooting the space program.

A win for House is a win for the NCR, they just don't get to be in charge.  The wild card option...  Is trickier, depends on Courier's decisions and luck.

Edit:  Though I, uh, haven't actually seen the House ending yet.  So maybe the ending spells things out and I look stupid for theorycrafting against canon.  I don't mind spoilers though, obviously.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:50:11 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 03, 2015, 12:49:05 pm »

Wild Card...Look. Vegas will run for a good couple of years. But eventually? The Courier's willpower is gonna run out. And then Vegas will burn.

NCR has good intentions, but is too big. Too...Corrupt. The portal to hell is opened with incantation of good intentions.

Legion...Yeah, that one is a given.

House: He's got a plan, an army, and just wants his Las Vegas. And as Rolan said, NCR still wins overall, there.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 03, 2015, 12:52:35 pm »

Wild Card...Look. Vegas will run for a good couple of years. But eventually? The Courier's willpower is gonna run out. And then Vegas will burn.

NCR has good intentions, but is too big. Too...Corrupt. The portal to hell is opened with incantation of good intentions.

Legion...Yeah, that one is a given.

House: He's got a plan, an army, and just wants his Las Vegas. And as Rolan said, NCR still wins overall, there.

No one with a plan and an army ever just settles for one city. NCR is best option. Look at house, he's a 200+ yr old maniac living in a tube. Is that really better than some corruption?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 03, 2015, 01:20:45 pm »

Why waste time and resources conquering cities when the NCR has done all that for him  ;)
He may be a lich but he's a good administrator.  Maybe because?  For example, I like how he doesn't demand any revenge against Benny, just that the chip be secured without disturbing business.  I guess his downside would be ruthlessness (Against the Brotherhood of Steel, for example) but he's not a control freak.  He seems to prefer that people and things run freely, unless interference is literally needed.

The whole thing seems like a naive utopian dream, but he's a supergenius who's pulling it off so what can I say?  I'm convinced he only cares about restoring Las Vegas and Robco's incredibly technologies (like spaceflight).
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 03, 2015, 01:21:01 pm »

How do you figure most of that?  The NCR doesn't need the Mojave for anything except the electricity, and even that's a debatable "need".  The NCR has survived and expanded rapidly before it ever reached this area.

They pretty much state that they over extended themselves and are kind of on the verge of collapse. They need one good foot hold.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 03, 2015, 01:29:47 pm »

Yeah they're overextended trying to hold this territory outside their borders.  The *campaign* is crumbling, and the current administration will suffer political backlash, but all they have to do is go home.  Or end the war decisively.  The Republic isn't going to fall apart from a failed offensive campaign, particularly if House wins and they get this excellent new trade partner.  The Legion needs to conquer constantly while keeping their civilians terrified, the NCR is just being greedy.
She/they

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 03, 2015, 01:35:27 pm »

Also, what happens to the Legion when Caesar dies? He pretty much seems like the sole unifying factor to the whole thing. Civil war would be my guess. In fact, the Legion seems to be pretty much well on track to a major civil war whenever an even slightly weak leader takes the throne.

It gets worse.  If the Legion wins with Caesar, Vegas and the Mojave come under his rule.  If Caesar is dead, the Legate is promoted and begins destroying everything.  While the Legion does do some fairly evil stuff, Caesar keeps them from doing even worse for the most part.

I find it interesting to note that Caesar is aware of how his army's are currently acting, comparing himself more to the Gauls than the Romans.  He views Vegas as a new Rome, possibly to the point that all his attention is focused on it.  Might be how the more evil actions are getting done.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 03, 2015, 01:48:55 pm »

I think the fact that this thread has randomly blown up about the decisions of New Vegas as opposed to 3 is proof that it's the better game. The decisions in 3 are essentially black and white with you forced to do things which make little sense. Why even do all the shit you do if you want to side with the Enclave in the end? How the fuck is your father unsaveable after sacrificing himself to kill someone who lives?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 03, 2015, 01:52:21 pm »

Well let me see...

What is Fallout New Vegas about?: Uhh some city, in some place no one cares about, exists...

Fallout 3?: The survival of the entire United States might be ensured!

But naw I am mostly joking... Mostly because I am in the unfortunate position of having the unpopular opinion that without expansion material... that Fallout 3 was just flat out better.

Something almost no one shares.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 03, 2015, 01:56:21 pm »

Well, as far as the main plotline goes, I'd say Fallout New Vegas has done more to attract me with both the main plot and the sidequests.

As far as the gameworld itself, I prefered the Capital Wasteland to the Mojave. Except for Little Lamplight. That place ought to be burned to the ground.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 03, 2015, 02:04:20 pm »

Here's one thing that puzzles me about brains.

In the Fallout universe, at least New Vegas, brains seem to be an entity of their own, separate from consciousness/memories. Having your brain removed doesn't seem to affect you adversely at all (even if you were implanted with some tech replacement crap). Replacing Rex's brain means that his memories have to be merged (instead of just getting the ones from the new brain). And pretty much all brains in tanks have a completely different personality than normal people. Including yours, even with increased IQ.

It's like brains are just something that is needed to think or function but aren't what defines people.

Not sure that the Courier putting his brain in a tank (again) would help much with ruling the wasteland.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 128