Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212112 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1365 on: March 03, 2015, 11:13:59 pm »

The NCR isn't preferable to Wild Card. It's already been thoroughly examined, but they're corrupt, self-serving, and operate primarily for the interests of their wealthy elite.

It has?  That doesn't seem right.

We know that the NCR is a functioning democracy.  Everyone describes them as a democracy, we see the foundation of the republic in FO1 and FO2 and it's implicitly assumed that politicians need to worry about the public will.  There is evidence of a federal government structure along modern lines in FO2.  They are one of the most abolitionist places in the wastelands by FO2.  Yes there are flaws to their political system, the politicians have some corruption like Kimbal.  The rich exploit the poor like the sharecroppers.  But what the heck do you expect?

Look at what the NCR has built.  Their military clearly indicates that they have a burgeoning industrial system.  By FO:NV, they are probably even better at the BoS at restoring pre-War technology as indicated by their maglev train, the vertibirds and their ability to recharge energy cells.  Ranching is a major industry and obviously it's not for export which means they must be sustaining the population in pretty good conditions.  All of this says to me that the NCR isn't just living in the past, they are progressing and developing and improving their situation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 03, 2015, 11:23:17 pm »

i like how we're actually debating this

this is why obsidian/Bethesda win life
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 03, 2015, 11:41:47 pm »

Ok, I need to ask this to anyone who's a bit experienced with GECK modding.

Would it be possible to create a suit of armor that changes characteristics dynamically? Like, the base armor having no bonuses to any stat, but using scripts and variables (tied to some sort of "armor mods" system) can have the same DR, radiation resistance as Power Armour, or Merchant clothes, for example?

EDIT: if everything in armor is a "status effect", probably instead of just putting it in the armor itself, it could be added to the player as an "enchantment" whenever he puts on the armor, in a script? I think DR is one of the standard stats but hopefully... it an be added as an effect as well :P
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:46:31 pm by Sergius »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 04, 2015, 12:19:05 am »

The NCR isn't preferable to Wild Card. It's already been thoroughly examined, but they're corrupt, self-serving, and operate primarily for the interests of their wealthy elite.

It has?  That doesn't seem right.

We know that the NCR is a functioning democracy.  Everyone describes them as a democracy, we see the foundation of the republic in FO1 and FO2 and it's implicitly assumed that politicians need to worry about the public will.  There is evidence of a federal government structure along modern lines in FO2.  They are one of the most abolitionist places in the wastelands by FO2.  Yes there are flaws to their political system, the politicians have some corruption like Kimbal.  The rich exploit the poor like the sharecroppers.  But what the heck do you expect?

Look at what the NCR has built.  Their military clearly indicates that they have a burgeoning industrial system.  By FO:NV, they are probably even better at the BoS at restoring pre-War technology as indicated by their maglev train, the vertibirds and their ability to recharge energy cells.  Ranching is a major industry and obviously it's not for export which means they must be sustaining the population in pretty good conditions.  All of this says to me that the NCR isn't just living in the past, they are progressing and developing and improving their situation.

How does that contradict anything I said? Look how they operate in the Mojave: they clearly don't give two shits about anyone that isn't their own, and are there for electricity on the policy level and R&R on the individual level.

The NCR is good for the NCR. They're only better for the Mojave than the Legion by virtue of not enjoying slavery and random crucifixion. I'm not saying that they're bad period, just that they're not good for Vegas or the Mojave. The whole point (from the way I handled the Wild Card ending, at any rate) of going for an independent Mojave is the potential for building something better. Yes, I've joked about the whole dictatorship of the Courier thing, but that's ultimately a stepping stone to real democratic rule, or at least something like a confederation of the various factions that aren't cannibals or drugged-out cannibals or rapists or out-and-out bandits or...

The NCR's going to screw the Mojave, no two ways about it. Wild Card doesn't promise a better future created by the Mojave for the Mojave, but it at least allows the possibility.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 04, 2015, 12:30:01 am »

How does the NCR not promise a good future for the Majove?  Vegas will have a shiny new train going straight to the heart of the NCR, NCR troops guarding the place, NCR development team building an agriculture system there.  What Vegas needs is to secure NCR citizenship as soon as possible.  Because the NCR means progress, building something new.  Sticking around in some static constructed world is not good for the people of the Majove.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:31:37 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 04, 2015, 12:34:40 am »

I believe it's implied that the leadership of the NCR has been in decline since Tandi's passing.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 04, 2015, 01:01:41 am »

How does the NCR not promise a good future for the Majove?  Vegas will have a shiny new train going straight to the heart of the NCR, NCR troops guarding the place, NCR development team building an agriculture system there.  What Vegas needs is to secure NCR citizenship as soon as possible.  Because the NCR means progress, building something new.  Sticking around in some static constructed world is not good for the people of the Majove.

Before they can build anything truly new they must reach the point where the old world left off, and that'll take quite a lot of progress. Mr.House, on the other hand, has the old world in mothballs, he just needs to take it out of the box and shake off the dust and the world can continue from where it left off (which is somewhere far far ahead of the NCR).
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 04, 2015, 01:30:52 am »

The old world was a para-fascist place, though... I mean, Enclave are the pre-war government successors, doesn't that tell something? House's desire to set up a surveillance state where his will is enforced by robotic soldier sure follows in the old vein. A new attempt at corrupted democracy might be better than going back to the values and systems which ignited the worldwide nuclear holocaust.

I'm quite surprised that people like Fallout3 more than New Vegas; but perhaps it matters that I played through the original version, before any expansions came out. The main storyline was so fucking irritating, filled with holes and the ending was so poor it fouled the whole game for me. (Not a surprise though, Betheseda seems to always outsource writing to ten year olds.) Agreed, there were many atmospheric locations you could tumble upon, but even they were a little off. I mean, they had been awesome in Fallout1, but Flalout3 is supposed to take place a long time after the war. So finding survivor bunkers in pristine condition etc was weird; you'd suppose they had been looted a long time ago.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 04, 2015, 01:44:31 am »

Before they can build anything truly new they must reach the point where the old world left off, and that'll take quite a lot of progress. Mr.House, on the other hand, has the old world in mothballs, he just needs to take it out of the box and shake off the dust and the world can continue from where it left off (which is somewhere far far ahead of the NCR).

They live in a world of radiation and gangs ruling major cities.  They dont need to pass the old world, getting even a small fraction of the old world would be a huge step forward.

House has nice toys but he just doesn't have the knowledge or the labor force to actually take care of people.  Almost anything the NCR has they can make more of because they built it in the first place.  What happens when a securitron breaks down?  You are one securitron closer to Vegas being defenseless.  What happens when a NCR built sniper rifle breaks down?  They build another.  Sure you might want the securitrons right now but you need to look down the road.  And which side do you want making your irrigation systems?

I believe it's implied that the leadership of the NCR has been in decline since Tandi's passing.

Well yeah, you cant match perfection :p
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 04, 2015, 01:59:28 am »

They live in a world of radiation and gangs ruling major cities.  They dont need to pass the old world, getting even a small fraction of the old world would be a huge step forward.

House has nice toys but he just doesn't have the knowledge or the labor force to actually take care of people.  Almost anything the NCR has they can make more of because they built it in the first place.  What happens when a securitron breaks down?  You are one securitron closer to Vegas being defenseless.

I think that the bunker on fortification hill also had an automated factory. Also it's implied that Mr.House was personally involved in the development of the securitrons so he could probably talk someone through patching them up.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: March 04, 2015, 02:21:09 am »

snip
He had alot of help from the Followers too for development of his system. They play a large part out in the west since they act as a neutral faction to everyone.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 04, 2015, 08:19:33 am »

House is basically god.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 04, 2015, 08:34:52 am »

Not to mention the amount of technical know-how you've got. Leaving aside House's records, you have the Followers, the BoS, the Enclave Remnants, and the Boomers all as factions in the Mojave who are specifically known for their ability to create and/or maintain technology. The Van Graffs, too, if you don't kill them. They've got one (or two, if you don't have the satellite laser) massive sources of electricity. They've got a vault with data on encouraging the rapid growth of plant life. &c. &c.

And there's nothing to stop an independent Mojave from trading with the NCR, if they're really as good and open as you say.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 04, 2015, 08:59:11 am »

Ok, I need to ask this to anyone who's a bit experienced with GECK modding.

Would it be possible to create a suit of armor that changes characteristics dynamically? Like, the base armor having no bonuses to any stat, but using scripts and variables (tied to some sort of "armor mods" system) can have the same DR, radiation resistance as Power Armour, or Merchant clothes, for example?

EDIT: if everything in armor is a "status effect", probably instead of just putting it in the armor itself, it could be added to the player as an "enchantment" whenever he puts on the armor, in a script? I think DR is one of the standard stats but hopefully... it an be added as an effect as well :P

Yes, it would be possible (if I understand what you mean correctly), but it might have to be done by changing the item into another.
Love, scriver~

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 04, 2015, 09:02:01 am »

In Oblivion: Shivering Isles there was a sword that changed from dealing frost to fire damage and vice versa depending on night or day. They did that by removing it and adding the alternative automatically at the right times. You might have to do something like that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 128