Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Infinity Project: Experiments in modding and HFS (SPOILERS!)  (Read 13993 times)

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Project: Experiments in modding and HFS (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 02:53:17 pm »

Couldn't you just reduce the settings to 1 demon species and build a looooooooooooooooong series of upright spikes on repeat and leave your compy alone for a few days and come back and see if any demons are left?  I mean, the demons will just keep coming, right?  You could build a simple (ha!) dwarven computer that maintains the demon-grinder and, if coupled with some kind of system to flush out the remains from time to time, even count them.

Theoretically.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 03:00:20 pm »

Couldn't you just reduce the settings to 1 demon species and build a looooooooooooooooong series of upright spikes on repeat and leave your compy alone for a few days and come back and see if any demons are left?  I mean, the demons will just keep coming, right?  You could build a simple (ha!) dwarven computer that maintains the demon-grinder and, if coupled with some kind of system to flush out the remains from time to time, even count them.

Theoretically.
Don't demons have trapavoid?

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 03:31:40 pm »

Yeah, but repeating upright spikes aren't stopped by TRAPAVOID.  At least, they didn't used to be.  I assumed it was still the case.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 03:41:52 pm »

Yeah, but repeating upright spikes aren't stopped by TRAPAVOID.  At least, they didn't used to be.  I assumed it was still the case.
That should be all kinds of awesome. We are talking about adamantine spikes, of course?

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 04:51:50 pm »

That should be all kinds of awesome. We are talking about adamantine spikes, of course?

Are there any other kind?

The real trick is to have some kind of weighing chamber filled with pressure plates that you can flush bodies into and develop a system to calculate the number of corpses you've produced.  Though, I suppose your bookkeeper would have a decent record of demon corpses, so it'd be perfectly redundant.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 04:58:52 pm »

I thought Adamantine was too light for weapons now?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 05:38:19 pm »

Should still work fine for spikes, which are piercers.  It's the bludgeoners that have problems.  To be on the safe side, and since it's such a loooooooooong hallway, build ten rows deep of every spike type you can forge... for science!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 07:35:34 pm »

Should still work fine for spikes, which are piercers.  It's the bludgeoners that have problems.  To be on the safe side, and since it's such a loooooooooong hallway, build ten rows deep of every spike type you can forge... for science!
Of course its for science, its a huge spike testing corridor of DOOM! Now we can finally find the best kind of spike!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 08:47:10 pm »

Of course its for science, its a huge spike testing corridor of DOOM! Now we can finally find the best kind of spike!

My dwarfbucks are on steel and adamantine being tied.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 08:52:21 pm »

Hmm, can spear traps get coated in poison?
Because we could kill two birds demons with one stone spear this way.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 09:18:08 pm »

My dwarfbucks are on steel and adamantine being tied.
Mine are on either poison spikes or steel. (i would of said both steel & adamantine, but you already took that! >:( )
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2010, 01:15:22 am »

I hate to burst your bubble on the spike thing, but...

If "unnumbered" demons outnumber flies (28 million), then there's going to be at least 28,000,001 (and probably many more, maybe infinite) demons). But if there's only 28 million and you wanted to kill them all, how long would you be prepared to leave DF running for? You'd have to kill 4 million demons a day (166666.7 per hour, 2777.8 per minute, 46.3 per second) to do it in a week. Although I haven't personally seen how fast demons pour out, 46 per second seems like an awful lot, particularly given the framerate-eating habits of demons and, presumably, huge piles of demon corpses.

If you could do 10 per second, which still seems like kind of a lot to me, it would take a little over a month of 24/7 demon grinding. And again, this is for the minimum possible number of demons.

EDIT: That being said, I'd love to see how thick you could stack the bodies before you either got bored or ran out of memory.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:17:01 am by Absentia »

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2010, 03:48:53 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2010, 04:01:57 am »

This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2010, 04:12:23 am »

Theoretically.

Two problems I'm seeing with that.  First, flying demons.  Second, FPS problems causing crashes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5