Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Infinity Project: Experiments in modding and HFS (SPOILERS!)  (Read 13982 times)

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Project: Experiments in modding and HFS (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2010, 06:02:45 pm »

FPS would not be much of a problem for the demon spike trap discussed, since you could implement both (a) a magma flush, assuming you used magmaproof devices, to clear the excess bodies, and (b) an obsidian-casting "door", for when you needed relief from the waves of demons.

Now, if you can inject funbats into hell, a way of finding out how infinite the demon waves are suggests itself.
Simply make a form of funbat that is completely indestructible - like a hundred bronze collosi tied together, with breath weapons and no-tire and webs and all that - and make them [CAN_LEARN], and slam them into hell.
Open up a fortress, and the funbat population should start slaughtering the demons (you may have to uncap hell for this). So you'll get a continuous tally of demon deaths, without having to lift a finger.

Am I right?

lol, yes you should be actually. This would be a killer way to find out, although it might just result in FPS death after a few minutes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 06:07:35 pm »

more than likely the injected demon slayers will act the same as all the other demons, or simple animals, but yes, barring that it would be awesome.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2010, 11:11:40 am »

Regarding Extra 2: Slade can be made mineable simply by lowering one of the values set at 5000000 to 4999999 or less, I think it was the Impact Hardness IIRC.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2010, 11:20:34 am »

If they're injected into hell, chances are they'll just roam around along with all the other demons.  If, however, you just have some ultra-powerful critters that you've acquired and tamed before entering into the underground, then you can of course use them to mop up the demons.

Of course, that doesn't really have much of anything to do with the funbat.  It's just a really powerful critter.

As for hacking around with the demon ID, it should be interesting to see how that works out.  See which instance cancels out the other, or if it will even read the raws in the same way.  It's a perfect candidate for testing though.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2010, 03:15:25 pm »

So, shouldn't the results of Step 2 be 'Demons are spawned not bred'? Their numbers are uncounted because they are literally -not counted-. The only thing left to do, to be absolutely sure of this, is to take your short-lived demons (ideally take a species of 1 year max lifespan demons), and wait 3 or 4 years from the 'breach of hell' point and see what happens, both within a fortress and in worldgen/legends.

Aside from that, the case is closed. No, you can never, ever, ever beat the HFS.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2010, 04:18:02 pm »

Urist Mcnoble cancels job: Counting demons. Interrupted by demon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2010, 05:50:25 pm »

I'm still trying to test whether the overwrite demons i made in the raws actually exist in the underworld or not. I've run into some crundles and dralthas and haven't even had enough of a break to seal off the area, not to mention everyone's in full tantrum-spiral mode minus the tantrums, or at least none yet. The autumn migrant wave should arrive soon and then I'll have them save the day. Can't even dig right now since they love my fort so much.

It'll take a little longer than previously described, I can't find any adamantine, but I do have a demon fortress thing (full of undead animal-men, most horrifyingly tigermen, for their great size.) I'll have to fight(trap) my way to the scimitar(Which I won't get to keep :c)  in the center before I can see what demons pop out of the pit.
unfortunately one of the miners got caught in there with them, which i don't quite understand since access was walled off and I checked to make sure she was safe after I had it walled off and she was. If the idiot's playing with teleport spells let her learn how not to do it the hard way.
Luckily the zombies seem to be rotting away to nothing (or at least just bones) so my traps won't have to worry about going through flesh before making a sever.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:04:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2010, 07:00:09 pm »

Regarding Extra 2: Slade can be made mineable simply by lowering one of the values set at 5000000 to 4999999 or less, I think it was the Impact Hardness IIRC.

I seem to recall some experiments back in April that found that, even if you aquire slade, the stones that pave the streets of hell are apparently hardcoded to be completely and utterly useless. They don't even show up on the economic stones menu.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2010, 10:08:58 pm »

I seem to recall some experiments back in April that found that, even if you aquire slade, the stones that pave the streets of hell are apparently hardcoded to be completely and utterly useless. They don't even show up on the economic stones menu.
you can mod it to be able to produce it from nothing at the smelter (one of Shaoshoul's reactions),then smelt it into a custom ore (my idea). then you can use it for metal stuff.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2010, 01:14:19 am »

You can also mod in a custom rock that weighs more than mercury and is made from oak logs with some cat liver added in.  It still won't have anything to do with slade.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2010, 12:29:23 pm »

Slade, and i'm in an unmodded game right now trying to test the demon overwrite thing, is apparently usable in making sharp blades.(although the usefulness of said blades is debatable)

alright, i can say that the overwrite failed. The demons were still randomly generated even though I named specific demons in the raws in the same manner. They also kicked my only military squad's ass, one of whom had become a legendary wrestler and took quite a while to burn to death. Now I'm feeling the fps burn as I sealed off the fort from the horde (several dozen, maybe over 100) luckily there are only 2 types, and both are killable, if I can find a way to do so. (i modded in 3 hopeful overwrites and set the world gen to make three, so i get only 2) The score is, dorfs to demons dead, 10:3

on top of all this, the undead in the fortress wandered off after a while and haven't been back, I'm wondering if it may happen with the demons as well, even though people have said it doesn't. Still don't know whether the inserted demons will spawn like animals do at some point.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:03:25 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2010, 02:42:53 pm »

There isnt a distance safe enough!
But I'm 22.475.681.1104664685328 Dimensions away from it! how is that not far enough?
good... have fun in your true vaccuum.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]