Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Infinity Project: Experiments in modding and HFS (SPOILERS!)  (Read 13989 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Project: Experiments in modding and HFS (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 09:21:08 pm »

I'll watch from a safe distance
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Jamesein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 10:05:55 pm »

There isnt a distance safe enough!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 10:51:08 pm »

There isnt a distance safe enough!
But I'm 22.475.681.1104664685328 Dimensions away from it! how is that not far enough?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 12:38:25 am »

OK... this was unanticipated.
So, I copied a demon that I'd extracted from a world.dat, and stick it in creature_fun.  It is exactly like any other demon, except for the name (Artificial Demon), identifier, and the description.  Then, just for fun, I copied the data for the giant bat, put it in creature_fun, renamed it to "funbat," added the [DEMON] tag, and changed its biome to what I'd found on demons: [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5].  In the unlikely event it showed up, I figured, that would lay the grounds for a few side projects.
The Artificial Demon was rejected.  It does not appear in Hell.  When I exported the populations, it went unmentioned.  The Funbat went in without a problem.  It is mentioned in the exported data (population unnumbered) and appears in Hell.  I have no clue why the funbat succeeded where the Artifical Demon failed; that's now a side-project for me to toy with later.  I'm calling Step 1 a success.
So, for those of you keeping track at home, that's:
Carefully thought out scientific planning: 0
Random, spur of the moment whimsy: 1
Kind of sums up Dwarf Fortress, huh?

EDIT:  Here.  Have some Funbats.
Spoiler: Funbat Raws (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:49:27 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 12:41:36 am »

Awesome. Now we can have Demonic hordes made of ghoulish hordes... :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 01:25:15 am »

Hmm, is there a tag which dictates whether underground tribes coat their weapons? Is it specific to them? It'd probably mean every weapon is automatically poisoned but it's at least something.

From a cursory glance, no.  At least, there's no blatantly obvious tag like [POISONS_AMMO].  Chances are, Tarn has perpetuated his somewhat infuriating habit of combining multiple independent values into a single tag, so it could quite possibly be controlled by the [LAYER_LINKED] tag...

I can understand that it's easier to throw together and keeps bloating down, but god's wounds man!  What if we wanted a creature that hunts vermin but can be managed?  What if we wanted an independent animal that didn't hunt vermin?

On an only mildly related note, hiding all the demon and forgotten beast files was a low blow...  A very low blow indeed.  We either take the stegosaurus devils along with the rest, or we take nothing at all.  Blugh.

Wait a moment...  I just thought of something.  Give me a few moments, I need to run a couple tests.

EDIT:  Damn.  Setting "demon types" to zero in the worldgen settings does not result in a demonless or even generic-demon underworld.  Theropods and ever-staring hummingbirds made out of crap.

If I could just get a little more control over what goes into hell...  Grr.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 01:43:25 am »

Did you think to remove the Artificial Demon's [GENERATED] tag?  That might be the culprit, since it probably means "this creature belongs in world.dat".

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:05 am »

...I love you.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 03:17:40 am »

On an only mildly related note, hiding all the demon and forgotten beast files was a low blow...  A very low blow indeed.  We either take the stegosaurus devils along with the rest, or we take nothing at all.  Blugh.

Demons and forgotten beasts aren't in raws because they are randomly generated at world gen. This is why you can specify the number of demon species - that's how many it generates.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 03:43:49 am »

One thing about demons and hell which I believe is relevant to this project.

A community fort ran into some unique problem. There was no creature, tree, or plant spawning at all. Not even in the underground caverns. As everyone foresaw that it would be a boring fort, only caravans but no thieves or ambushers or invaders, they encouraged the man running the fort to go for the eerie caverns to let the fort die in style.

Few people got surprised that the map with no spawns actually spawned demons. And killed the fortress in style.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 05:30:47 am »

Well this thread inspired me.
If demons are creatures with tags, then why not try to make an entity out of them?
I did it the lazy mans way by making the human race use DEMON_1 then tried making a world. I got through world gen fine and there was nothing in the error log, but demon races just refused to spawn. Must be because demons don't have gender and races require a breeding pair.  :'(

Could of had demon entitys...

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 12:16:29 pm »

Regarding getting a coating of poison on your weapons... Is it possible to generate some kind of domestic 'poison elemental' that, when killed, violently explodes, coating a wide area with its contaminant? If so, then some room can be set up where a spike trap is used to kill this poison elemental that got dropped into it from a hole in the ceiling. Drop target weapons into this room too, then pull the lever.

Pure theory, but I do wonder if it can be done. The "violently explodes" part may not be necessary if you make the room very tiny... but I'm not sure whether contaminants get coated onto items that happen to be nearby a corpse taht died in a bloody fashion. Yeah, pure speculation theory.

The way it's described on the wiki the [UNDIRECTED_VAPOR] should cause an animal to spew poison in all directions that condenses into a coating. more over it seemes they will do so without any need to be near a hostile.   
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 01:00:39 pm »

Demons and forgotten beasts aren't in raws because they are randomly generated at world gen. This is why you can specify the number of demon species - that's how many it generates.

I'm aware that they are randomly generated, but the fact remains that we have no control over them at all.  We are not allowed to alter the places that it pulls information to create these demons, so we will constantly end up with tyrannosaurus devils, jellyfish fiends, Gila monster monsters, and groundhog demons made from dung.

We're not allowed to point it to specific files to grab information, and we're not allowed to tweak the information in places it does pick from.

Furthermore, even the number of randomly generated demon types doesn't seem to do anything.  I just generated a world with 0 demon types set in the worldgen, and I still ended up with a full retinue in the pits.  And no, these weren't generic placeholder demons, these were lidless hummingbirds that fart poison.

Speaking of poison...

The way it's described on the wiki the [UNDIRECTED_VAPOR] should cause an animal to spew poison in all directions that condenses into a coating. more over it seemes they will do so without any need to be near a hostile.   

Not quite.  Breath attacks are only used when the creature is actually trying to attack something.  No, they don't need to be near a hostile to use it, but they do need to see one so they can try and attack it.

EDIT:  WAIT!  Wait wait wait, hold the phone here...  I goofed up.  I accidentally embarked on the wrong frikkin' map.  I just tested out the real world with 0 generated demon types, and hell was utterly and completely devoid of life.

I've got like 10 different worlds all in the same folder, and I renamed one of them...  This caused the latest map to take the place of that number, rather than add itself on to the end.  Boy do I feel brilliant.

Anyways, I'm now going to make a new world with funbats, to see if and how they take the place of the other demons.  If they perform correctly, we've just opened up the gates to a hell we can all screw around with.  Yay!

EDIT2:  Alright, tried it out again.  Still no randomly-generated demons, but the funbats don't respond to breaching the pits the way demons do.  At first the plains of hell were barren, but then I saw a foobat (a walking version of the funbat, to see how non-fliers would react) wander around for a bit.

So we don't exactly get the welcome party, but it's still possible to flood hell with scores of nasty beasts that will just wander around and make life difficult.

Population values show unnumbered foobats and funbats, backing up KC's findings.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 02:27:12 pm »

Regarding getting a coating of poison on your weapons... Is it possible to generate some kind of domestic 'poison elemental' that, when killed, violently explodes, coating a wide area with its contaminant? If so, then some room can be set up where a spike trap is used to kill this poison elemental that got dropped into it from a hole in the ceiling. Drop target weapons into this room too, then pull the lever.

Pure theory, but I do wonder if it can be done. The "violently explodes" part may not be necessary if you make the room very tiny... but I'm not sure whether contaminants get coated onto items that happen to be nearby a corpse taht died in a bloody fashion. Yeah, pure speculation theory.

See this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55616.0
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 02:32:06 pm »

Does anyone know if there is a way to mod in a Demon that os Friendly to Dwarfs but will attack other Demons?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5