Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 422651 times)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4500 on: November 28, 2011, 09:51:12 pm »

Behold de zubby wambler!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: November 28, 2011, 10:33:43 pm »

Does    [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN] work if it's used for breath attacks? Or can I just use [ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND] on my other attack and leave the breath attack alone?

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:32 am »

I'm modding in my own nord race, and I want them to be able to use trap components as weapons.
Is this how you do it?
Code: [Select]
[WEAPON:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_GIANTAXEBLADE]
[WEAPON:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_ENORMOUSCORKSCREW]
[WEAPON:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_MENACINGSPIKE]
Or would I have to make specific weapons?
I've assigned the trap components skills, Axe, Spear, and Pike, respectively.
Also,
[START_BIOME:TUNDRA]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_TUNDRA:3]
means that they'll start in the snowy areas, correct?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:51:41 am by NewsMuffin »

Zidana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A very basic modding question
« Reply #4503 on: November 29, 2011, 02:09:46 am »

I was wondering... do I HAVE to put creatures that I mod in into one of the preexisting creature_WHATEVER.txt files? Initially, I made a .txt file called creature_custom.txt, and put my creature into it (yes, I put the [OBJECT:CREATURE] heading in creature_custom.txt). However, the creature didn't show up in the arena test mode. So I copied the creature into creature_fanciful.txt, and now it shows up.

So what it looks like is happening is that there's a list of creature_WHATEVER.txts that the game is told to read from. And anything which isn't on that list isn't 'seen' by the game, and thus creatures in those .txts don't exist in-game. Does anyone know where this list is, how to access it, if possible, and how to edit it? I've gone through all the .txt files included in the DF folders and there doesn't seem to be such a list, so am I right in thinking that this list is hardcoded or in sourcecode somewhere?

Zidana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: November 29, 2011, 02:14:48 am »

Also,

Here's a list of biome tokens I've found very helpful: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Biome_token

As you can see, there's no token called "ANY_TUNDRA." You'll want to create separate [BIOME_SUPPORT] lines for [GLACIER], [TUNDRA], [FOREST_TAIGA], and [TAIGA].

You can also put in multiple [START_BIOME] lines with those 4 biome tokens so the Nords will start in those locations also.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: November 29, 2011, 02:16:01 am »

Did you remember to put creature_custom.txt at the top of the file? The game won't recognize the file as being raws if it doesn't have the name of the file in the top line, or something.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: November 29, 2011, 02:26:24 am »

Also,

Here's a list of biome tokens I've found very helpful: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Biome_token

As you can see, there's no token called "ANY_TUNDRA." You'll want to create separate [BIOME_SUPPORT] lines for [GLACIER], [TUNDRA], [FOREST_TAIGA], and [TAIGA].

You can also put in multiple [START_BIOME] lines with those 4 biome tokens so the Nords will start in those locations also.
Ah, thanks.

Now, will those trap parts work as weapons, or will I have to mod them?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: A very basic modding question
« Reply #4507 on: November 29, 2011, 08:41:17 am »

So what it looks like is happening is that there's a list of creature_WHATEVER.txts that the game is told to read from. And anything which isn't on that list isn't 'seen' by the game, and thus creatures in those .txts don't exist in-game. Does anyone know where this list is, how to access it, if possible, and how to edit it? I've gone through all the .txt files included in the DF folders and there doesn't seem to be such a list, so am I right in thinking that this list is hardcoded or in sourcecode somewhere?

There is no such list.  I've created many custom raw files with new names and had the game recognize them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: November 29, 2011, 10:08:57 am »

You can even create a new text file called "derpedmailman.txt" and have the top line be "fuckity_jones" and have it work as long as [OBJECT:CREATURE] comes after that.

Your txt creature_custom.txt needs to start with the line creature_custom.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:10:29 am by Putnam »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: November 29, 2011, 11:27:02 am »

For a creature file text file to be used by DF it needs to:
* be a .txt file
* start with 'creature_'
* have a line at the very beginning saying anything - I would suggest using the file name without the .txt (it used to be that it had to be the file name, but that's no longer so)
* have [OBJECT:CREATURE] after that first line.

The same goes for other raw files, replacing creature with the appropriate object type.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:55 pm »

You can even create a new text file called "derpedmailman.txt" and have the top line be "fuckity_jones" and have it work as long as [OBJECT:CREATURE] comes after that.

I immediately thought of this.
I can only assume that was your intention.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: November 29, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »

Quick question: Is it possible to make a soil that's both clay and sand?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: November 29, 2011, 03:22:43 pm »

Now, will those trap parts work as weapons, or will I have to mod them?

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but if you mean for them to use giant serrated disks or axe blades or whatever as weapons that can be assigned to soldiers/used by invaders, you'll have to remake them as weapons because they have several tags specific to trap components and are missing several tags required to be a working weapon. The attack definitions should be transferable without them having to be edited, though.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Zidana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: November 29, 2011, 03:40:14 pm »

Hm. For the record, any .txt you make has to encoded in ANSI, or it won't be recognized.

For some reason my notepad was set to encode them in unicode. How odd.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: November 29, 2011, 06:02:45 pm »

I immediately thought of this.
I can only assume that was your intention.

Nope, pure coincidence. I've watched two episodes of MLP and felt slightly embarrassed but enjoyed them all the while.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 357