Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419878 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2310 on: March 15, 2011, 07:13:52 pm »

any way to restrict just material (i.e. a custom one for use)?
Well, I don't know how well it would work, but those item specifications always go in fours.
ITEM TOKEN:ITEM SUBTYPE (derived from raws):MATERIAL TOKEN:MATERIAL SUBTYPE (also derived from raws).
Specifying the latter half only -should- work in theory, so give it a shot.

[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:CHANGE:ME][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:29 pm »

Sigh  - further question in regards to my glaze with glass thread and the no double entries in the raws (aka reading .bak files, etc)....

If I would just like to mod a custom workshop, and custom reactions that have no singular appearance within the other raws - may/can I add [Enitity:Mountain][Creature:Dwarf] with not mentioned before tokens to just add to the definition within entity_default? Or is there a way alike to material templates that I have to add just a singular line within the entity raw?
Even if it may not be wise from a developers POV for overall customizability, it may make it easier to have all needed entries for singular, personal modifications within just one file (remembering the times from Sim City IV, where the custom "items/mods" where read in order of file-name and the later one mentioning the same token/flag was overwriting the older reference without changing non (before) referenced flags within that older defintition and vice versa (reason why sometimes later updates just added an xx_somwhat - Grmpf, stop, to long not played - first reference counted, or (and it was 00_something)? Regardless, later additions to same basic entity would count if not mentioned before - how does DF handles those???)....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:24:18 pm by Shandra »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: March 15, 2011, 10:28:04 pm »

How would I go about making more things out of bone?  I seem to have a lot of the stuff lying around, and want to make some use of it for furniture and constructions.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: March 15, 2011, 10:47:22 pm »

Random Question: Is there a way to make the number of a particular product produced in a reaction depend on the skill of the user?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: March 15, 2011, 11:10:16 pm »

Random Question: Is there a way to make the number of a particular product produced in a reaction depend on the skill of the user?
Really unnecessary to post it twice...  No.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: March 16, 2011, 12:50:21 am »

How would I go about making more things out of bone?  I seem to have a lot of the stuff lying around, and want to make some use of it for furniture and constructions.
[ANY_BONE_MATERIAL] [ANY_HORN_MATERIAL] [ANY_TOOTH_MATERIAL] [ANY_SHELL_MATERIAL]
Enjoy your elven bone slabs.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: March 16, 2011, 03:02:48 am »

As briefly mentioned, I'm attempting to make a centaur creature playable for fortress mode and I have some questions.

I am using Genesis centaur as a base. If anyone has a more detailed one, let me know? This one doesn't even have a tail::)

I will assume that I need to replace the dwarven entity or move it somewhere?

Multiple organs and skeletal structures--can it be done? Specifically two hearts, two rib cages, two spines, four lungs, two guts... etc.
If so, can the second set be located in the lower body? And what would happen if, say, one of the hearts was destroyed? Can the other one keep the creature alive somewhat?

How could I make it so they are not born as helpless babies carried by their mothers? If they must be carried, what is the minimum amount of time?

If the centaur are children until 6 years of age, can they still have growing stages after that even though they are considered an adult? It doesn't look like it, cause all other vanilla creature files (that I've seen) have the final growing stage at the end of childhood years, but if the [BODY_SIZE] tags determine when growth ends, then why have a [CHILD:x] tag to tell the game when they stop growing? Just a bit redundant to me, *unless* it is possible to have more growth after childhood, after all, and most vanilla creatures just don't bother with this because it's easier for Toady to code with stock values??

Can I have multiple male/female castes? I'm thinking three generalized breeds of light, medium, and draft. Will the fortress consist of the multiple castes or just one of them? I know they will interbreed and have random children, and that's perfectly fine cause they're just breeds and it's mostly for flavor anyway.

I want 50% population to be light, 40% medium, and 10% draft, so what would the POP_RATIO's be?

Wiki says [SWIMS_INNATE] is bugged for fortress mode. Is that still true?

Is there a way to describe new patterns like pinto, dapple, appaloosa? Can the patterns also be from random colors? (I assume you limit the color and pattern choices in the creature file?) So, for example, a pinto pattern would always be white piebald splotches and a random color like tan or rust.

Speaking of tails earlier.. can they match the head hair color and be random styles?

Yay? o_o

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:23 am »

I will assume that I need to replace the dwarven entity or move it somewhere?

No; multiple playable entities can coexist.

Multiple organs and skeletal structures--can it be done? Specifically two hearts, two rib cages, two spines, four lungs, two guts... etc.
If so, can the second set be located in the lower body? [...] Can the other one keep the creature alive somewhat?

Yes (yes, yes, yes, yes, yes), yes, yes.

How could I make it so they are not born as helpless babies carried by their mothers?

BABY controls how long the creature remains a baby. Remove it while keeping CHILD and you'll get children but no babies.

If the centaur are children until 6 years of age, can they still have growing stages after that even though they are considered an adult?

CHILD has nothing to do with growth. Being a "child" is basically a flag that stops the creature from doing "adult" work (i.e. being assigned labours) until the age specified in CHILD (or was it total years passed? I can't remember), at which point the "child" flag is removed and the individual is thereby considered an adult. Completely independent of body size.

Can I have multiple male/female castes? [...] Will the fortress consist of the multiple castes or just one of them?

Yes. The former. Make sure to read up on how castes work as a lot of people seem to make very similar mistakes regarding them.

I want 50% population to be light, 40% medium, and 10% draft, so what would the POP_RATIO's be?

5/4/1?

Wiki says [SWIMS_INNATE] is bugged for fortress mode. Is that still true?

The tag itself isn't bugged. The AI just doesn't account for whether the creature can swim or not. Read: yes.

Is there a way to describe new patterns like pinto, dapple, appaloosa? Can the patterns also be from random colors?

You can't make new patterns as described in descriptor_pattern_special.txt. You can, however, make new colours that are, for all intents and purposes, patterns. Example:

Code: [Select]
[COLOR:PINTO]
[NAME:pinto]
[RGB:255:255:255]

From there you can either make one colour entry per combination of pattern and colours and thusly have the correct RGB values for each combination (but have to type them all out manually), or you could just make one colour entry for each pattern and use the default colours (possibly resulting in the occasional incorrect RGB assignment and multiple seperate descriptions for the patterned part(s), but involving far less bloat. Actually, I suspect that might just flat-out not work).

Speaking of tails earlier.. can they match the head hair color and be random styles?

Check out how tissue styles work in CREATURE:DWARF and the bottom of ENTITY:MOUNTAIN.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: March 16, 2011, 06:24:10 am »

No; multiple playable entities can coexist.
Does that mean the player can choose?

Yes (yes, yes, yes, yes, yes), yes, yes.
Awesome!! And yeah, sorry, I am still having a bit of trouble understanding the wiki on body part stuff, so I thought I'd ask before attempting to perform major surgery. I'm sure it's just something simple that isn't quite clicking with my brain just yet.  :-[

BABY controls how long the creature remains a baby. Remove it while keeping CHILD and you'll get children but no babies.
Good deal! Hours old centaur foals walking with the herd.  :)

CHILD has nothing to do with growth... /...Completely independent of body size.
Haha! I knew there had to be something hidden in there!

Yes. The former. Make sure to read up on how castes work as a lot of people seem to make very similar mistakes regarding them.
Yup, I read that stuff and I think I understand the formula. Just wasn't sure if you could have multiple sets of females and males, because the example is an ant colony.
Here's what I had for that (now with pop added in):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What I'm gathering from this is that there will be 5 light males for every 5 light females? Plus, there's really no way to have 50% chance for boy or girl?

You can't make new patterns as described in descriptor_pattern_special.txt. You can, however, make new colours that are, for all intents and purposes, patterns...
/code/
...From there you can either make one colour entry per combination of pattern and colours and thusly have the correct RGB values for each combination
(That's a very white pinto.  :P )
So, you can combine multiple colors under a single color tag for pre-made combos? Do you have an example of a combo? But there's no way to describe "<color> piebald blotches" or "tiny <color> spots"?  :-\

Great help so far, thank you!

EDIT: I just realized I should change "draft" to "heavy". They aren't exactly being drafted by anyone... durr

EDIT2: Whoops, the breed tags need underscores don't they? *fix*

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:53:04 am by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: March 16, 2011, 06:45:55 am »

I have created some metals for my game and when I put them in the txt files where the default metals are it works fine (inorganic_metal.txt and inorganic_stone_mineral) but I want my changed file in a different txt file. But when I do that the game doesn't seem to use them, how should i name my txt files or should I change something else?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: March 16, 2011, 06:49:13 am »

Does that mean the player can choose?

Yeah - all available civs show up on the selection list pre-embark (obviously this only applies to the dwarf entity in the vanilla game).

Plus, there's really no way to have 50% chance for boy or girl?

I'm not sure what you mean here... the way it's set up now works out as a 1:1 male/female ratio.

So, you can combine multiple colors under a single color tag for pre-made combinations? Do you have an example of a combo? But there's no way to describe "<color> piebald blotches" or "tiny <color> spots"?  :-\

No, you can't do either of those things. But what you can do is, say, make a colour along the lines of the following:

Code: [Select]
[COLOR:PIEBALD_WHITE_BLACK]
   [NAME:piebald, black on white]
   [RGB:255:255:255]

For a result resembling "his fur is piebald, black on white". This way you can still give each combination an appropriate colour. Of course, the downside is that you'll have to write out each and every combination you want.

The alternative is to create one "colour" describing the pattern and then use a normal colour in addition to that (the creature has both the "PIEBALD" colour and the "BROWN" as seperate descriptors). This is messier, and doesn't give you as much control over which RGB values you get (you might get the placeholder one for the pattern instead of the actual colour), but doesn't require you to write everything out by hand.

Edit:

how should i name my txt files

Follow the format of the standard files. Creature files should begin with "creature_", inorganic mat files should begin with "inorganic_", etc.. The files also need one line of plain text above the OBJECT header.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:51:22 am by 3 »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: March 16, 2011, 07:53:59 am »

thanks, I called my files dutchmod_inorganic_etc but now I start with the original name and it shows up in arena testing :)

EDIT: The metal showud up at arena testing but the stone (and becasue of that the metal I think) doesn't show up at embark. This is my RAW entry, what is wrong with it?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:10:21 am by Dutchling »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: March 16, 2011, 08:25:05 am »

it's a vein stone, your civ might not have access to it if the world param isnt high enough. Try genning a few more worlds?
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: March 16, 2011, 08:29:45 am »

I have tried it 6 or so times but if it there's nothing wrong  with my raw I assume it's just bad luck. I'll try to make them show up more often/layer stones

EDIT: I made it a [IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE] layer stone and I can now embakr with it. [SEDIMENTARY] didn't work though, but I assune that is normal(?).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:38:56 am by Dutchling »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: March 16, 2011, 08:59:20 am »

I have tried it 6 or so times but if it there's nothing wrong  with my raw I assume it's just bad luck. I'll try to make them show up more often/layer stones

EDIT: I made it a [IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE] layer stone and I can now embakr with it. [SEDIMENTARY] didn't work though, but I assune that is normal(?).
well sedimentary is above intrusive igneous. I'd say it's just bad luck.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 357