Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419884 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2340 on: March 17, 2011, 06:39:34 pm »

Also, another question.  Does anyone have a link, or know where I can find, a building raw for a building that looks exactly like a furnace?  Such as like the glass furnace and wood furnace, all of which look alike?  I want to make a new furnace that looks like a furnace, but actually modding something that specifically, I think it might be beyond me...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: March 17, 2011, 06:53:14 pm »

i doubt you'll find that, specifically, but this might help you

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: March 17, 2011, 08:12:19 pm »

From my above message, I should also specify that I don't want them to be able to bring seeds or any part or product from the plant at embark...
I fooled around a little and couldn't produce seeds via reaction when there are no seeds anyway. Just inserting a material template into a plant causes blank seeds to be produced, and omitting the :SEED part of the reaction causes it to produce nothing at all. I didn't think they'd work, but I thought I'd check anyway.

Using a reaction to turn one plant into another works fine though. I made one up to make fisher berries out of nothing, and it worked without the berries or their products being available on embark.

I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: March 17, 2011, 08:24:13 pm »

But my only objective was to not have my dwarves have anything to do with the plant until A. discovered later as they dig deeper, or B. If I could, through a civ capable of bringing them that only appeared late game...

Anyway, alternate question: The raws themselves.  You see, my reaction raws are getting extremely cluttered and difficult to work with.  I noticed that in the Genesis mod, they have additional raw text documents.  If I were to add a .txt file, and in it place, at the top, [OBJECT:REACTION], would I be able to put reactions in this new file and have them actually work in the game?  That is to say, would dwarf fortress be able to read a random .txt file?

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: March 17, 2011, 08:30:58 pm »

Spoiler: QUOTE (click to show/hide)

My entries are simply as
Spoiler: this: (click to show/hide)

So eventually it is the [HARD_MAT] token thats not in your definition and whats missing.?. ...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:44:08 pm by Shandra »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: March 17, 2011, 09:00:21 pm »

But my only objective was to not have my dwarves have anything to do with the plant until A. discovered later as they dig deeper, or B. If I could, through a civ capable of bringing them that only appeared late game...
The plant the dwarves discover has no products or seeds and is not edible raw. So it doesn't appear on the dwarves' trade list. The plant they farm is produced by a reaction that takes the first plant as a reagent, and has seeds and products and all that stuff. You can have them named the same as long as the entry names themselves are different.

For civ access, you could make it an evil or good plant and give it the ability to use it to a trading race with high progress triggers, and only that race. I think that would work.

If I were to add a .txt file, and in it place, at the top, [OBJECT:REACTION], would I be able to put reactions in this new file and have them actually work in the game?  That is to say, would dwarf fortress be able to read a random .txt file?
Yes, so long as the file has the file name (without the file extension) on the first line and the [OBJECT:REACTION] underneath it. The filename should also be in the same format as the vanilla ones -- whatever goes after OBJECT: has to be part of the file name. So your reaction file would have to be called reaction_new.txt or reaction_pickerel.txt.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: March 17, 2011, 10:22:52 pm »

Neat!  Thanks!

Next question: How would I go about NOT having a specific hotkey on a reaction.  For example, [BUILDING:RED_GLASS_SHOP:CUSTOM_J].  How does one denote no CUSTOM_J hotkey for example?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: March 17, 2011, 10:33:16 pm »

[BUILDING:RED_GLASS_SHOP:NONE]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: March 17, 2011, 10:35:34 pm »

Instead of putting a key put in "NONE"  Without the quotes.

Like [BUILDING:CRUDE_SHOP:NONE]  for example

EDIT: CURSES!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: March 17, 2011, 11:52:19 pm »

Thanks guys! 

Next one: Is there a way to make the building labor dependent on the material used?  For example, normal (unoriginal) furnaces will require metalcrafting for those built with bars, masonry for stone...

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: March 18, 2011, 12:18:14 am »

And Another One:

I have almost everything working just fine.  Here is an example.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ALL my reactions, however, now have a quirk.  Each time I use it, it produces exactly 150 of the product in question.  For example, if I use the above reaction once, I have 150 raw ruby glass (called rough ruby glass because it is not ACTUALLY glass, I just wish it were) flooding my building.  Which item here is determining the quantity, and how do I set it to the correct amount?  The raws don't seem to have any good examples for this case... Should I just slap [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] everywhere?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:23:35 am by Pickerel »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: March 18, 2011, 12:43:01 am »

And Another One:

I have almost everything working just fine.  Here is an example.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ALL my reactions, however, now have a quirk.  Each time I use it, it produces exactly 150 of the product in question.  For example, if I use the above reaction once, I have 150 raw ruby glass (called rough ruby glass because it is not ACTUALLY glass, I just wish it were) flooding my building.  Which item here is determining the quantity, and how do I set it to the correct amount?  The raws don't seem to have any good examples for this case... Should I just slap [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] everywhere?
I'm not entirely sure what that tag does, but that 150 means there's an issue with your BARs.  150 is the unit dimension of a single BAR.
I guess if it works the way I think it does, if you put it on the BAR, you'll get 150 uses out of said bar.
Change the BAR's reagent quantity to 150 to make it one full bar.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: March 18, 2011, 11:05:39 am »

Someone else at one point said that the game couldn't necessarily handle fractions of bars, but they weren't sure... I think I am going to go test this out.  It would be cool if it turns out that we can use 1/150th of a bar, because I have been trying to find a way to mimic the fact that, for example for ruby glass, SO LITTLE gold is actually needed for coloring... I'm going to go test it out.  I'll tailor the reaction in various ways to try it...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: March 18, 2011, 11:15:00 am »

Someone else at one point said that the game couldn't necessarily handle fractions of bars, but they weren't sure... I think I am going to go test this out.  It would be cool if it turns out that we can use 1/150th of a bar, because I have been trying to find a way to mimic the fact that, for example for ruby glass, SO LITTLE gold is actually needed for coloring... I'm going to go test it out.  I'll tailor the reaction in various ways to try it...
The game can handle fractions of bars, yes, but in custom reactions, it seems to just multiply your reaction's products by the fraction (so if you make it 1/3 of a bar (50) you make three instead of one), though I don't know about that DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT tag.

Also, that someone else was probably still me :P
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: March 18, 2011, 11:34:52 am »

I just figured out just what you just said, just before reading the post ^.^  The tag did not do anything, so I wondered, what if it is multiplying the reaction, so I put 50 by the pearlash, and sure enough, I got 3 raw red ruby.  This is awesome because it could allow me to mimic actual amounts of gold used for ruby glass, but bad because it is almost immediate, taking only one use of the glassmaking skill, rather than using a bar up over ten uses...  So I think I will have to go with one of my other ways of mimicing the small amount of an impurity for coloring needed, like having the building require the object to build the furnace in which it is produced... Or just have it require 15 sandbags full of sand, and 15 pearlash, and then one gold bar, and just deal with the fact that we'll only get one skill use for 15 units...
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 357