Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421590 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2010, 01:16:16 am »

Could you throw some raws up for us to see?
Modding is easier when your not in the dark.

The raws are right there in the cl1p link at the top of my post. I don't like the way the code tags work on this forum, cl1p is easier to read.

Does anybody know the effects of trying to have underground creatures of a specific biome? That is to say, could I have a creature only appear in caverns under a forest, for example?

Unfortunately the underground appears to be homogenous and unrelated to the biomes above it. That's why you see [evil] creatures running around in caverns underneath [good] maps. If you gave them both tags, they would live above ground in forests and underground all over the world.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2010, 01:23:28 am »

Interesting.
There is nothing that jumps out to me, but I will continue to take a closer look.
Although you could make your raws a little neater by making the stranded male and female caste with no body info, then using select caste and additional caste tags to control what each caste looks like, regardless of gender.

But that's really up to you. In the mean time I will keep looking for anything abnormal.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2010, 03:44:18 am »

So I just had a thought.
A dark and evil thought.
A thought no good modder should ever have.

In my ever going search to make the populas at the end of world gen, and therefor make playing less predictable, more fun and a lot more fun i have been through several options. So far I have found making many small races is best, as few survive world gen, and if you do it right then its not possible to predict what few, but I might have found another way.

ALL creatures need tags. This includes the randomly generated demons. Because demons have a [CREATURE: tag (I believe it goes DEMON_X where x is an integer) what do you guys think the chances of making a demon entity are?

The point of this is that because DEMON_1 is a randomly generated creature, we would have no idea what to expect from it and no way to plan our defense.

EDIT:
It...Didn't work. There was nothing in the error log, but no race ever started. I replaced humans with DEMON_1 in the entity raws, and they never built any towns. Guess we still need a breeding pair, and demons don't have genders. So sad, I could have had demons roaming the lands!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2010, 03:52:38 am »

Well seeing as I'm not getting help posts in my guide... maybe some of you guys here can help me...

Reactions...

The only stuff I'm having a problem with is making some kind of bone or corpse or remains of an actual something. At this very point, I am able to produce remains, which should be of a dragon, but it just says remains. Any thoughts, considerations, out of the box thinking, a set of new eyes on it... ANYTHING.

My goal is to make a reaction to make either a set of bones of a complete creature by making a corpse (closest thing I've gotten to so far) or a skull.

These are the six reactions I keep modifying to no end, ignore their names...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2010, 04:05:18 am »

I'm more into creatures and entitys, and have hardly touched reactions, but for a start, this should be closer to the right path.

[REACTION:CHEAT_007]
[NAME:skull1]
[BUILDING:CHEAT_SHOP:CUSTOM_G]
[PRODUCT:100:1:MEAT:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:CREATURE_MAT:DRAGON]
[SKILL:SMELT]

If Deon or ISoB were here I'm sure they could help you, both are better at reactions then myself.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2010, 04:15:53 am »

Thanks for the shot, but that product gets me nothing. Figured it would partly cause of the get material thing.

I guess I'll keep trying suggestions that get posted and keep trying myself.

--edit--

nvm, i'm going to bed now, i'll pick up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:31:48 am by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 30, 2010, 06:26:17 am »

My first attempt at any sort of semi-serious modding here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54955.msg1210453#msg1210453
Takes the disc-shooter idea, and instead makes it a "throwable" Disc.
Like THESE
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:P But made from wood/stone/metal and much more sharp.

It really needs a go over by someone who knows what the heck.
I'm also consistently getting a crash when assigning related stuff in military screen, is it something I did?

Thanks for any help!
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 30, 2010, 08:48:02 am »

So I just had an interesting thought.
What if I made a dummy entity, with ONLY noble positions. There is no way that this race could start, but would other races with [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] still sometimes take these noble positions?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2010, 02:26:59 pm »

@Lucas, that is a known crash, I've had it happen as well.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 30, 2010, 05:42:14 pm »

@Lucas, that is a known crash, I've had it happen as well.

Thanks. I guess I just picked the worst thing and time to mod.  :'(
I thought I could sort of offset the crappyness of ranged weapons, but the bugs seep into what I'm trying to do.

However, it seems that changing the "skill" used for shooting the weapon back to [RANGED:BOW:DISC] stops the game crashing CONSISTENTLY at the military screen. But still none of my dwarves want to pick up ammo

EDIT:
Oh... It looks like I can forge discs and disc gloves through the existing metal smiths furnace. (EDIT: AND Wood/Bone Discs at the craftsdwarf workshop!)

1)Is this intentional/default behavior?
2)Can I make the custom (rock) reactions of the weapons have *quality* tags?
3)What if I didn't want one of them to be made from meta/bone (even though I DO!)? Can I remove them from the metalsmith furnace?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:14:14 pm by LucasUP »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2010, 06:19:04 pm »

1.) I do believe so.
2.) I do believe any reaction you make will not get a quality level. I have yet to see one at all.
3.) I don't think you can.

When it comes from the forge, I believe it is hard coded so your item can actually be made. Think of it as a safety and ease of access hard coding. When it comes to materials for a particular item, I can't help you there.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2010, 06:25:46 pm »

1.) I do believe so.
2.) I do believe any reaction you make will not get a quality level. I have yet to see one at all.
3.) I don't think you can.

When it comes from the forge, I believe it is hard coded so your item can actually be made. Think of it as a safety and ease of access hard coding. When it comes to materials for a particular item, I can't help you there.

Thanks a ton for the quick reply and help. I'm really delving in deep with this modding stuff, but I'm hitting every branch on the way down.

4. Is there a way to modify the ammo item to need to use more wood/metal? And not made in stacks of 25 like bolts?
I'm trying to give it a large [MATERIAL_SIZE] and [SIZE] without any luck so far. You'd think there'd be tags for these things.
5. Can I modify the STONE matgloss (or whatever) to allow disc-smithing with it (presumably so it shows up in mason/craftsdwarf/whatever workshop) instead of creating my own reaction for it?

Clamity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 01, 2010, 02:47:34 pm »

I'm a very inexperienced modder for dwarf fortress, at least at making my own. I'm currently baffled by what designates something as being butcherable or not. I am aware of the [Not-butcherable] tag, but that doesn't seem to be all that determines if a corpse is butcherable or not. Any help in understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 01, 2010, 02:50:40 pm »

If I recall the can_speak tag also influences whether a creature can be butchered or not.  If the ethics of your played entity doesn't allow you to mess with sentient creatures they won't butcher anything with can_speak.  The intelligent tag also implies can_speak so those are out too.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #239 on: May 01, 2010, 02:56:37 pm »

@Lucas

well, I don't believe size it adjustable for ammo. you could always try making a reaction that uses the mats you want it to use and produce 1 or whatever amount that you want to produce. You may still have the other forge and craftdwarf listings though. you could play with it and try to get crossbows to fire ballista rounds ;)

disc smithing? what is... "disc"? is it ammo? toy? Frisbee? what?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 357