Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421593 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2010, 07:00:45 pm »

This looks like the right thread for my questions. Large fortresses tend to drown in stone, and I'm not talking about the "lava transfer system gone horribly wrong" way, but rather the thousands of loose boulders bogging down FPS. I've had an idea that could allieviate some of the problem - first I'd need to mod all the worthless stone so that it wouldn't leave boulders behind when mined. Then I'd need to make a generic stone that doesn't actually appear anywhere, and make a reaction that produces it, preferably with a custom workshop. The last two parts seem within my ability, but are the first two even possible, and if so - how?

A stone that does not appear anywhere is easy: just don't give it a layer to appear in in its entry.

A stone that does not leave behind rubble is harder. Normally I mod the stone to boil at room temperature, so that when the stone is mined when temperature is turned on, it instantly turns into a harmless red mist that swiftly vanishes with no side effects.

Actually, the "boil away crappy stone" method is all I've been using to keep my forts ticking away at a decent rate.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »

Yeah, normally I'd just do that, but I don't want their cities overrun with kids, for prissy thematic reasons.
I want them immortal and sterile so that they're slowly dying out.

I don't actually have a silver bullet solution, but as a corollary to the idea of having an large amounts of original breeding pairs and generations of the sterile, consider having four castes, two of them actual males and females, and two of them dummies that behave like the male and female castes appearance-wise except for being infertile.

EDIT: I just tried this. It didn't generate a single member of the breeding castes. I just had the genderless (though distinguished) thralls existing until warfare killed them off. I don't think you even need to have castes with breeding tags for the race to work in world gen.

What I basically want is an immortal genderless creature that starts off with a very large population, but cannot reproduce. So it rampages about in the early days of the world, but slowly loses members and falls into decline, and then ruin. An ancient dying race, so to speak.
Having an initial generation of dummied creatures is fine by me. I'll just make them into "Birthing Machines", or something equally goff.
Oh, I just saw your edit. Hmm. I'll have a think.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2010, 07:08:43 pm »

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:2000]  The mass of the creature. Dwarfs--for reference--are size 0:0:3000, so fluffy wamblers are 2/3rds the size of an adult dwarf.

That isn't an adult dwarf...  that is a baby... 

(Damn, that spoiler thing you got is really long....)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 29, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »

Well, my first attempt to make rubleless stone was to turn all stone into soil (with an unfortunate side effect of lots and lots of caveins, but luckily those can be disabled) and it seemed to work, but when I'd added the generic layerless stone into the mix most of my actual soil layers turned into generic "rock", and not the one I'd created, since that was called "stone". Also, it made all my worthless rock layers disappear completely, so that probably wasn't the way to go. I'd really like to find a solution not dependent on temperature, since my goal is to maximise the FPS in the fortresses. Temperature is known to bring that down somewhat, and periodically turning it on and off can be somewhat bothersome.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 29, 2010, 07:22:12 pm »

Well, my first attempt to make rubleless stone was to turn all stone into soil (with an unfortunate side effect of lots and lots of caveins, but luckily those can be disabled) and it seemed to work, but when I'd added the generic layerless stone into the mix most of my actual soil layers turned into generic "rock", and not the one I'd created, since that was called "stone". Also, it made all my worthless rock layers disappear completely, so that probably wasn't the way to go. I'd really like to find a solution not dependent on temperature, since my goal is to maximise the FPS in the fortresses. Temperature is known to bring that down somewhat, and periodically turning it on and off can be somewhat bothersome.

I can guarantee that having temperature on will slow you down far less than 2000 stone. Item tracking is the bette noir of FPS. If you have temperature on, and make the boiling point of the unwanted stone types lower than room temperature, it'll barely affect it at all. Change the temperature mid-game and evaporate half a mountain's worth of stone, and it'll cause a huge dip untill it's all processed, and then it'll be plain sailing. You'll just have to make your furniture out of cluster stones.

If that isn't your thing, the next most efficient plan would probably be a workshop with a reaction that takes a stone as a reagant, and doesn't produce anything. You could build a few rows of them near where you wanted to do the obliteration, which is a bit less troublesome than making an atomsmasher and bringing the stones to it.

Lava used to be pretty handy, but at least half of stones are magma-safe now, so that won't help. However if you drop it into the sea of spoilers, it'll still vanish into the semi-molten rock.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2010, 07:29:20 pm »

Sorry for this not being related to anything, it seemed the appropriate place to ask.

I need help making my Automatons for my mod bleed oil. I have the oil, and a general idea to make them bleed it, but it's not working. No, there is no [NOBLEED] tag and they have a 'heart'. Whoever helps will be mention for helping. Thank you in advance.

Automaton:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note: My last attempt are the bold ones up there. I know it looks very far off a working form. I literally tried it as a random, but possible attempt.

The oil:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:56:44 pm by dragon1423 »
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2010, 07:36:37 pm »

Well, another problem with this plan would be rock furniture and crafts made of soon-to-be-evaporated stone, but that could probably be dealt with by removing the [IS_STONE] tag - right? Anyway, thanks for the help - I knew all of these tricks before (although I hadn't used them for some reason, except the "dump into chasm or chasm analogue" one), but I'm still wondering about the possibility of making the rocks produce no rubble, rather than having the rubble evaporate on being produced.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2010, 07:48:07 pm »

I removed upper_body so that the males wouldn't were clothing on there upper body, while females would, so replacing upperbody isn't a favorite option of mine.
Adding organs to the lower body would have some interesting effects on combat.
Adding upper body to anything else would cause both of the above to happen.

Right now I'm toying with the idea of declaring it a wing, and making the organs go inside a wing, but I'm not sure if that will have a negative effect like implying flier.

Just make a copy of the ORGANS bodypart and replace [CONTYPE:UPPERBODY] with [CON:UB].  The organs will still go into the upper body, and you won't need to flag it as such.

THANK YOU! Good sir! I am in your debt.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2010, 07:52:23 pm »

Yeah, normally I'd just do that, but I don't want their cities overrun with kids, for prissy thematic reasons.
I want them immortal and sterile so that they're slowly dying out.

I don't actually have a silver bullet solution, but as a corollary to the idea of having an large amounts of original breeding pairs and generations of the sterile, consider having four castes, two of them actual males and females, and two of them dummies that behave like the male and female castes appearance-wise except for being infertile.

EDIT: I just tried this. It didn't generate a single member of the breeding castes. I just had the genderless (though distinguished) thralls existing until warfare killed them off. I don't think you even need to have castes with breeding tags for the race to work in world gen.

What I basically want is an immortal genderless creature that starts off with a very large population, but cannot reproduce. So it rampages about in the early days of the world, but slowly loses members and falls into decline, and then ruin. An ancient dying race, so to speak.
Having an initial generation of dummied creatures is fine by me. I'll just make them into "Birthing Machines", or something equally goff.
Oh, I just saw your edit. Hmm. I'll have a think.

Wait, doesn't this solve your problem all together?
Isn't he saying that not a single breeding pair was produced, so that means we no longer need a breeding pair to start a race, and you can have a pure genderless race...Just make them kick ass enough to withstand world gen.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2010, 08:14:40 pm »

There are quite a few races already in the raws with only one gender, and they spawn just fine.  Just add a entity for your civ give them a large [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:] and it should work fine.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2010, 08:30:44 pm »

There are quite a few races already in the raws with only one gender, and they spawn just fine.  Just add a entity for your civ give them a large [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:] and it should work fine.

Many races, but no entitys. In past versions, at least, it would look for a breeding pair to start a civilization, to ensure that by chance no civilization was all male or female, therefor no chance to reproduce.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2010, 09:10:38 pm »

http://cl1p.net/whyareyounotburning/

I currently have a modded creature with several castes, which serve as races. There are twenty-two castes in all.

The four (two male, two female) shown in this link are causing temperatures not to work on all castes of this creature. Temperature works on all other applicable creatures, but Kermorians can literally dive right into lava and suffer no ill effects (Except drowning).

I tried removing these four castes, and that immediately fixed the problem. I was once more able to burn and freeze all of the other castes.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I tried redoing their select_caste sections, with no result.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2010, 09:13:15 pm »

Could you throw some raws up for us to see?
Modding is easier when your not in the dark.

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2010, 09:15:02 pm »

I have a quick question - I want the product of a reaction to be a boulder of GENERIC_STONE, which was defined elsewhere. Will this work, or will it fall apart at some point?

Code: [Select]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:GENERIC_STONE]
Also, is it possible to make a reaction take more time to be completed?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2010, 11:22:23 pm »

Does anybody know the effects of trying to have underground creatures of a specific biome? That is to say, could I have a creature only appear in caverns under a forest, for example?

Furthermore, can be the same be said for entitys? Could I use [LAYER_LINKED] and a support biome to limit what biomes an underground civilization shows up in?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 357