Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421610 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2010, 05:16:26 am »

Just making sure I could give my pirate captain a bigger hat then then rest of the crew.  :P

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2010, 06:40:41 am »

Nope.
What I mean is that Kobalds don't show up on any maps, nor do they show as a civilisation when you tab to the civilisations screen on embark. The ONLY way to get this effect is by having the entity live in caves or caverns.

Personaly I would love to have tigermen live in hidden villages in forests, and evil knights conspire in unknown dark towers in the badlands, but both are forced into caves. This realy puts pressure on the number of caves when you have more then a few entitys trying for them.

Oh. Fair enough, I guess. Although it would be odd to have an entity that attacked/interacted with player controlled forts, and not worldgen ones, unless there were some new arrival triggers added (striking [DEEP], or something like that)

A couple of questions: I want to make an immortal race that doesn't reproduce. I know I'll need [MALE] and [FEMALE] castes so that some breeding pairs are placed in Worldgen, but can I leave off the [BABY:x] and [CHILD:x] tags so they won't make any?

And does the [POWER] tag still work? [ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] seems to be gone from the entities, but can I still make other creatures to take over civilizations, like demons do? And will they be restricted to those with matching spheres?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2010, 11:24:53 pm »

A couple of questions: I want to make an immortal race that doesn't reproduce. I know I'll need [MALE] and [FEMALE] castes so that some breeding pairs are placed in Worldgen, but can I leave off the [BABY:x] and [CHILD:x] tags so they won't make any?

And does the [POWER] tag still work? [ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] seems to be gone from the entities, but can I still make other creatures to take over civilizations, like demons do? And will they be restricted to those with matching spheres?

1) Sorry, nope. It will just make things worse I believe, as they will give birth to adults who will be able to start reproduction immediately.

2) Yes it does! I think any entity without a religion can be taken over by anything with [POWER] and anything else will need to pass itself off as the avatar of a god.

Now enough of your problems, on to mine! I relised there is a problem with my lionmen. Because I removed the [UPPER_BODY] tag from there torso, now organs won't go in there, any way to fix?

Goosestophe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2010, 12:58:26 am »

I was wondering if it was possible to make a reaction that creates silk thread? I've been trying for hours but can't seem to make it work. I don't have access to silk atm and one of my best fighters decided to be all moody on me.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2010, 04:38:45 am »

Now enough of your problems, on to mine! I relised there is a problem with my lionmen. Because I removed the [UPPER_BODY] tag from there torso, now organs won't go in there, any way to fix?

A few:
1) Give [UPPER_BODY] back to torso.
2) Make special set of organs that will belong to [LOWER_BODY]
3) Give [UPPER_BODY] to some other part.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 29, 2010, 04:49:53 am »

I removed upper_body so that the males wouldn't were clothing on there upper body, while females would, so replacing upperbody isn't a favorite option of mine.
Adding organs to the lower body would have some interesting effects on combat.
Adding upper body to anything else would cause both of the above to happen.

Right now I'm toying with the idea of declaring it a wing, and making the organs go inside a wing, but I'm not sure if that will have a negative effect like implying flier.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2010, 05:03:13 am »

I removed upper_body so that the males wouldn't were clothing on there upper body, while females would, so replacing upperbody isn't a favorite option of mine.

Right now I'm toying with the idea of declaring it a wing, and making the organs go inside a wing, but I'm not sure if that will have a negative effect like implying flier.

You might try to work with Castes.

Go find out if you can set specific clothing/equipment to one caste and forbid it for the other.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2010, 05:12:05 am »

Nope.
Castes are specific to the creature, and equipment is specific to the entity. It isn't possible to use the SELECT_CASTE while modding an entity, and as such it isn't possible to have certain castes use specific gear.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2010, 02:16:36 pm »

Well, that answers one of my questions. This is going to make my high-variance creatures a bit harder to work with, and I don't think I can choose who goes on a siege. . . such is life.

I'll get them done, just you wait.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2010, 03:02:42 pm »

Just make a copy of the ORGANS bodypart and replace [CONTYPE:UPPERBODY] with [CON:UB].  The organs will still go into the upper body, and you won't need to flag it as such.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2010, 04:18:48 pm »

1) Sorry, nope. It will just make things worse I believe, as they will give birth to adults who will be able to start reproduction immediately.

2) Yes it does! I think any entity without a religion can be taken over by anything with [POWER] and anything else will need to pass itself off as the avatar of a god.

Now enough of your problems, on to mine!

Alright. Second plan. If I make a pair of normal breeding castes and give them a population ratio of one in a million, and a maxage of one, and I give the other caste no gender, [BABY:x] or [CHILD:x] tags, I should get a first generation of breeders, who'll give birth to a sterile genderless second generation almost immediately. Unless anyone sees something drastically wrong with this, I'll get to work on that tommorrow.

As for the power creatures, can I just leave the religion tags off the entity I wish them to take over?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2010, 04:51:13 pm »

A second option is to give them CHILD or BABY tags with extremely large values, so that the second generation never matures.  You can use the child_name or baby_name tags to call the children "grubs" or "spawn" or suchlike.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2010, 05:25:27 pm »

Yeah, normally I'd just do that, but I don't want their cities overrun with kids, for prissy thematic reasons.
I want them immortal and sterile so that they're slowly dying out.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2010, 06:41:20 pm »

Yeah, normally I'd just do that, but I don't want their cities overrun with kids, for prissy thematic reasons.
I want them immortal and sterile so that they're slowly dying out.

I don't actually have a silver bullet solution, but as a corollary to the idea of having an large amounts of original breeding pairs and generations of the sterile, consider having four castes, two of them actual males and females, and two of them dummies that behave like the male and female castes appearance-wise except for being infertile.

EDIT: I just tried this. It didn't generate a single member of the breeding castes. I just had the genderless (though distinguished) thralls existing until warfare killed them off. I don't think you even need to have castes with breeding tags for the race to work in world gen.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:58:50 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2010, 06:52:28 pm »

This looks like the right thread for my questions. Large fortresses tend to drown in stone, and I'm not talking about the "lava transfer system gone horribly wrong" way, but rather the thousands of loose boulders bogging down FPS. I've had an idea that could allieviate some of the problem - first I'd need to mod all the worthless stone so that it wouldn't leave boulders behind when mined. Then I'd need to make a generic stone that doesn't actually appear anywhere, and make a reaction that produces it, preferably with a custom workshop. The last two parts seem within my ability, but are the first two even possible, and if so - how?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 357